Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Site Donations (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33620)

Mot Wakorb 10-19-2017 10:14 PM

Site Donations

For a while, there have been some posts about "hey, any chance there's some way we can donate to the site?" So, the answer is yes, you can. I figured it'd be important though to not just say "hey, here's a link to donate" but to truly explain what the costs of the site are so you know it's going to costs of maintenance and upkeep, rather than in someone's pocket.

Cost Breakdown:
Domain Name: $15/year
Hosting: $56/month (I'll explain that cost later)
vBulletin/XenForo Licensing: $300 initial cost, $125/year maintenance (support and plugin costs)

Time/Support: $0.00 - we do this for free.

Overall, each year, it costs $812 to keep the site up and running. Now, the monthly cost is mainly to upkeep the rather large database. Nothing is deleted from the site for archival purposes, so if you want to see something from a long time ago; you can. Smaller hosting companies and lower performing ones generally have some issues with larger databases and how much memory can be granted, so we have our own server. It also hosts the CoG Minecraft server.

So - it's up to you, I'm fine still paying for the cost of the site, but if you're willing to help, that's super great. Regardless, the site won't be going anywhere - so don't feel pressured.

On the topic of XenForo btw: if anyone is good with CSS/web color schemes, I could really use your help. PM me if interested - I can port the site and all the posts and your user accounts; I cannot for the life of me get the images and coloring right.

Here's our link for donations on PayPal, it uses PayPal.me. Thank you - it's a privilege to keep this site going!

MagGnome 10-20-2017 07:44 AM

My boyfriend does web development for a living. I'll ask him if he's familiar with XenForo.

johnperkins21 10-20-2017 12:18 PM

I don't use PayPal, but I'll try to remember to sign up tonight and send off some funds.

Mot Wakorb 10-20-2017 12:24 PM

I don’t think you need a paypal account to do so, I think you can use credit cards/debit cards. Just so people know. Hell, I’m uncomfortable even asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpublic 10-20-2017 12:58 PM

Done. Hope that helps, Mot.

Mot Wakorb 10-21-2017 12:35 PM

Thanks jp, that’s appreciated!

maharahaj 10-21-2017 08:44 PM

Hey Mot,
Made a donation. Thanks for all the hard work maintaining the site!

Mot Wakorb 10-21-2017 08:46 PM

Thanks maharahaj, it is very appreciated!

TheKeck 11-15-2017 03:36 PM

I donated a little something. It's not much. But thanks so much for keeping this place going as long as you have.

fitbabits 11-15-2017 03:51 PM

I just put my money where my mouth is.