Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   EA Cans Star Wars Action Game, Shutters Visceral (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33617)

DoctorFinger 10-17-2017 04:40 PM

EA Cans Star Wars Action Game, Shutters Visceral

EA announced today that they're essentially canceling their in-development Star Wars action title, and moving to close it's developer, Visceral Games. EA frames this as moving the game to another studio, but the message is clear: the game as developed won't be released. Some of the assets and code may be transitioned to a new Star Wars game, but the title Amy Hennig (former Uncharted lead) and Visceral had been working on for at least 3 years is dead.

Not to get hyperbolic, but this feels like a major mile marker for the future of the industry. You can read the firehose of buzzwords in the link above, but EA clearly felt that a single player game wouldn't make the sort of money that would cover it's development costs. A Star Wars game, led by former creative lead on the Uncharted series, is seen as a likely enough loser that they cancel it after at least 3 years of development. And based on everything I've seen, they are almost certainly right.

A lot of space has been devoted in the past week or two to the place loot boxes and other microtransactions have in full priced games. But the cost of developing a AAA game has continued to rise even while the actual cost of those games have remained flat. "Full priced" games cost $50 in 1995. 22 years later, they're only $60, but the cost of everything else associated with making those games has ballooned. Publishers believe the market won't accept a hike in the base price, so the only other way they can go is microtransactions and loot boxes. But those transactions only work in certain sorts of games, and an Uncharted-esque title isn't one of them. Destiny is the model for games going forward: long tail, multiplayer games with transactions built into the DNA. Learn the term 'Games as a Service', because that's the future.

Source - Waypoint

DoctorFinger 10-17-2017 04:49 PM

The days of single-player, narrative-driven games from AAA are over. Everything going forward is Destiny or Battlefield or GTA. First party games - Halo, Gears, Horizon, Uncharted - will be safe for now because their publishers can write them off as loss leaders. But they will either morph into GaaS titles, or fade away.

Indie (or indie-ish) devs will have to pick up the slack. And I'm frankly thrilled about it. So many of these mega titles feel bloated to me, on multiple levels. At this point in my life I'd rather play a great 6-8 hour game, than a bloated 30 hour slog.

DoctorFinger 10-17-2017 04:54 PM

One more thing. I've defended EA a lot over the years from what I felt was unfair criticism. Slamming EA was a competitive sport. But they've been the worst the last few years. They can't do anything right, from the bungling of Andromeda, to vanilla Battlefield games, to this. They haven't been the biggest publisher in ages, but the only thing keeping them afloat now are their licenses (NFL, FIFA, Star Wars). And they're not going to be enough eventually.

MalReynolds 10-17-2017 05:09 PM

yep after Star Wars Battlefront 2 im probally never buying an EA game again **** EA

Dukefrukem 10-17-2017 05:09 PM

Worst gaming news I've heard in a long time. So long Dead Space.

Wolvie 10-17-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 1376206)
One more thing. I've defended EA a lot over the years from what I felt was unfair criticism. Slamming EA was a competitive sport. But they've been the worst the last few years. They can't do anything right, from the bungling of Andromeda, to vanilla Battlefield games, to this. They haven't been the biggest publisher in ages, but the only thing keeping them afloat now are their licenses (NFL, FIFA, Star Wars). And they're not going to be enough eventually.

Maybe we'll actually get NFL and NHL games made by other developers in the future if they go belly up.

MagGnome 10-17-2017 08:58 PM

Thank goodness for indie games. Outside of Nintendo games, I can't remember the last time I bought a "AAA" title.

Hmm, I suppose it was The Witcher 3 actually, which was fantastic. Otherwise nearly all of my gaming these days is via indies. Tons of variety at a low cost.

TheKeck 10-17-2017 09:02 PM

What about The Last Guardian?

JayK47 10-17-2017 09:56 PM

I don't buy it that AAA games absolutely need to cost a ton to develop and therefore need to microtransaction us all to death. They choose to make these insanely huge expensive games with crisp HD graphics that require a lot of development time and they also spend a ton promoting them. Not to mention CEO and executive pay. Games like Andromeda were "too big" and would have been better as a more focused game and do not need to have over the top HD graphics. We are at the point now where games almost look too good and trying to outdo one another is costing too much. I play plenty of jRPGs and they keep the detail down and focus on story. They sell nowhere near what AAA games sell and they keep getting by, thankfully. Maybe these developers need to make a choice up front. If they want to dump a ton of resources into a project for 6 years, they need to make sure the game can make money for the long haul. Single player games will just not have to look as good. Focus on story. These AAA single player games are disappearing and it really is too bad. Games like Deus Ex and Mass Effect are the types of games I love. And I would love to see more. And they do not have to have top of the line graphics, 60 frames per second, etc. etc. Deus Ex Mankind Divided looks so much better than Human Revolution, but did it need to?

Exodus 10-17-2017 10:09 PM

I hate to say it but I find it increasingly harder to play single player games. I run with a few packs of people who like to play games together and sp doesn't fit into that dynamic.

That doesn't stop me in truth I mean I have shadows of war, divinity original sin 2, cuphead, ruiner and witcher 3 dlc expansions to play still but I love video games. My favourite video game is okami. But it's hard not to want to join up with friends and just game out and have fun.

JayK47 10-17-2017 10:18 PM

I have the opposite problem. It is very difficult to get friends together for multiplayer games. We are still working on Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Luckily for you the industry is moving in your direction.

MagGnome 10-17-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKeck (Post 1376220)
What about The Last Guardian?

My boyfriend bought that. He buys more $60 releases than I do, but mostly Japanese titles.

TheKeck 10-17-2017 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagGnome (Post 1376227)
My boyfriend bought that. He buys more $60 releases than I do, but mostly Japanese titles.

Ah, I see.

Cheater. :p

MagGnome 10-18-2017 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKeck (Post 1376230)
Ah, I see.

Cheater. :p

You call it cheating, I call it smart. :p

menage 10-18-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 1376204)
The days of single-player, narrative-driven games from AAA are over. Everything going forward is Destiny or Battlefield or GTA. First party games - Halo, Gears, Horizon, Uncharted - will be safe for now because their publishers can write them off as loss leaders. But they will either morph into GaaS titles, or fade away.

Indie (or indie-ish) devs will have to pick up the slack. And I'm frankly thrilled about it. So many of these mega titles feel bloated to me, on multiple levels. At this point in my life I'd rather play a great 6-8 hour game, than a bloated 30 hour slog.

I've got the feeling this feeling of dread about SP gaming is going away is exaggerated, and also thrown around for quite a while now. Looking at the games I have played the last year, Nioh, Persona 5, Dishonored 2, Yakuza, the new Southpark, Nier, etc, are all mostly great single player AAA games.

Yeah, Acti and EA seem to think the big bucks is in MP AAA gaming, but lots of companies like Atlus, SE, SEGA, Ubisoft etc seem to think AAA SP gaming is far from over.

fitbabits 10-18-2017 09:52 AM

Ugh. This is stupidly horrible news.

Exodus 10-18-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagGnome (Post 1376235)
You call it cheating, I call it smart. :p

Gold digger!

MagGnome 10-18-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodus (Post 1376268)
Gold digger!

Hey he plays my games too!

Dav Slinker 10-18-2017 06:51 PM

I bet he does, I bet he does.

MalReynolds 10-18-2017 08:03 PM

https://scontent.fyzd1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...56&oe=5A6C1E3A