Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   IGN Buys Humble Bundle (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33611)

DoctorFinger 10-13-2017 02:18 PM

IGN Buys Humble Bundle

This is a bit strange.

IGN, one of the most venerable game/pop culture media powers still in operation, has acquired Humble Bundle.

Humble Bundle began as a charity outfit that let you pay your own price for a bundle of games, with proceeds from your transaction going to a charity of your choice. Since then they've grown into one of the larger retailers of PC games (non-Steam division). IGN is....IGN. They've been cranking out content in the gaming and pop culture fields since before most of their writers and editors were born. A lot of people have a love/hate relationship with them, but they've outlasted a lot of competitors and peers over the decades.

At first blush this seems like an odd marriage. But Humble Bundle is an established retailer, and that seems like the most likely hook. IGN parent J2 says Humble Bundle will "continue to operate independently in the wake of the acquisition, with no significant business or staffing changes".

Source - Gamasutra

fitbabits 10-13-2017 02:23 PM

Welp, that happened.

Wolvie 10-13-2017 02:25 PM

And there was much whinging.

Gorvi 10-13-2017 02:26 PM

That's just weird. I have no problem with IGN, they have some decent content and reviews. Not that I visit often.

Grifter 10-13-2017 02:44 PM

Well... That's unfortunate.

Exodus 10-13-2017 03:33 PM

If nothing changes other than who their parent company is I got no problem with this. It's a smart move on IGN's part and I'm surprised other companies didn't pounce on this sooner because this is a very good acquisition especially for certain companies that still have a piss poor online store presence.

Well played. So long as the charities and quality in games offered only goes up. Now if they try and throw in some sort of IGN prime bullshit for better offerings I will not be happy.

PathMaster 10-13-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodus (Post 1376001)
If nothing changes other than who their parent company is I got no problem with this. It's a smart move on IGN's part and I'm surprised other companies didn't pounce on this sooner because this is a very good acquisition especially for certain companies that still have a piss poor online store presence.

Well played. So long as the charities and quality in games offered only goes up. Now if they try and throw in some sort of IGN prime bullshit for better offerings I will not be happy.

Agreed. Let it actually be completely independent and just make some $$ for IGN. I used to visit IGN frequently maybe 15+ years ago, I don't think I have been to their site in 5+ though.

Exodus 10-13-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PathMaster (Post 1376005)
Agreed. Let it actually be completely independent and just make some $$ for IGN. I used to visit IGN frequently maybe 15+ years ago, I don't think I have been to their site in 5+ though.

I...can't even remember what IGN stands for anymore...but I still remember what EGM stands for!

PathMaster 10-14-2017 10:15 AM

Anyone remember Gamespy? I had to look them up to check if they existed, while the site does, they closed in 2013.

MagGnome 10-14-2017 12:22 PM

I was an IGN Insider way way back in the day, but I haven't visited the site in years. It turned into a bloated mess.

This reminds me of when GameStop bought Impulse. Let's hope for a better outcome this time, but it seems rather shady to me.

Ravenlock 10-14-2017 12:50 PM

I'll be optimistic because it's not like I can do anything about it. Maybe they'll let Humble keep running things as they see fit.

Certainly in the last year I've bought more things on Humble, not fewer, than in years previous. They continue to be an excellent source of indie stuff I didn't notice or sequels/DLC I didn't pick up yet, and Humble Monthly is an incredible value even just to have gifts for friends.

Dav Slinker 10-14-2017 01:44 PM

This has huge to be problematic, but then IGN has been biased for years in terms of advertisements from major publishers. Once that was okay, this was kind of inevitable.

Wolvie 10-15-2017 03:33 PM

Honestly this will probably go the way Direct2Drive did. They'll hold on to the service until someone makes an offer and IGN will sell it.