welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Podcasts > In-Game Chat

Old 06-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
fishbang
Colonist

The Thick Gristlebottom Episode

It looks like rocket number nine can just make out our newest episode behind this link.

Our usual soft intro gives way to a refreshingly cold open in this episode. Feel free to cast an image of the Satellite of Love in your mind’s eye this week and enjoy the impromptu comic stylings of Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett - genius jokers and puppeteers, formerly of Mystery Science Theater 3000, now on the media trail for their new RiffTrax DVD release. They were kind enough to submit to an interview by us, and in return for their kindness we act like junkie fanboys. This may or may not have come across in the examination. Regardless, we promise not to tell anyone if you choose to act the same.

As for game coverage...who gives a shit? We talked to Tom Servo and Crooooow! In actuality, there was quite a bit of jibber-jabber goin ‘round this week. The news was an understandably weak tea following the E3 expo, but there’s been plenty of speculation to follow, as well as thoughtful counterpoint from within the studio as well as without. We’re short one certified, card-carrying cynic this week (sorry Jerm!) so our redactions have come from the eagle-ears of the listener base, instead. Good on ya, listeners!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Wraith
Watch out for snakes!

And I still haven't finished off the post-E3 episode... Definitely going to listen to the interview with Kevin & Bill as soon as I get a chance.

Playing: Civilization V (PC); My Mostly Complete Game Library; Gamertag: EasyToType
Watching: Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead, Portlandia, Colony, House S8
"I would wish you luck, but I believe luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures."
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
Phil
Colonist

Send a message via ICQ to Phil
Where's that music coming from? Sounds like an MP3 Player someone forgot to turn off. Very distracting if you ask me.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Straximus
Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Where's that music coming from? Sounds like an MP3 Player someone forgot to turn off. Very distracting if you ask me.
Since I wasn't there for this ep, I had to listen to the MP3 as well, and noticed the same thing. My guess is it's coming from a monitor in the studio. (We record in a local country music station studio.) Normally, the monitor is down so low the mics don't pick it up at all. Maybe Scott will be along in a bit and can say something about why it's just audible on this one. I have no idea.

Sorry.
Straximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Too late for you guys to see this before the next recording (you already having done it yesterday), but I wanted to thank you for addressing my post from last week so thoroughly. It's that sort of conversational opportunity that keeps me listening. James, I never thought you particularly had it out for Nintendo or the Wii, just wanted to know if you'd had the chance to look at the stuff WiiMotionPlus is doing, since it seems (again, to me) more similar to what Sony's got coming up - which you clearly are excited about - than I thought you realized.

Along those lines, I picked up a copy of Tiger Woods 10 with WiiMotionPlus, and while obviously it's not going to turn you into a golf gamer, the motion control is definitely, for real, 1-to-1 now. You can tell while swinging the club, but if you really want it demonstrated, load up the disc golf mode (which is actually a lot of fun). Every move of your arm and twist of your wrist is reflected on screen while you set up the throw, and tossing it really pretty much feels like tossing a frisbee. Obviously things like Red Steel 2 will be the evidence for whether a "real" game can use this 1-to-1 stuff in an entertaining way, but as a tech demo (and a really good golf game for those who like that, which I do), Tiger Woods '10 is extremely solid.

I'll warn you up front though - it is pretty... not-pretty. The character model animation after you sink a putt is just plain ugly. "It's the Wii", etc etc, but really, they could've done better with how the characters look. Still, though, not the point. As far as WMP goes, it has me pretty much sold.
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Doogie2K
Nailed It!

So am I a bad geek for only having seen MST3K The Movie (This Island Earth) and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank?
Would it be a party without the bionic penis?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeEmBored View Post
Now time to see if the "Dress as Santa and come down your chimney" line works.
Doogie2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

I probably should also add that I completely agree with what James said about thinking we were being sold tech with the Wii back in 2006 and being disappointed when that turned out not to be the case (though I still maintain that the IR pointer has done a lot for a lot of games, even if the motion control hasn't so much yet). I'm just a little more forgiving of the "deficit", as you probably correctly phrased it, when it comes to getting excited about them apparently getting the tech part right this time.
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
J Arcane
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie2K View Post
So am I a bad geek for only having seen MST3K The Movie (This Island Earth) and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank?
Honestly, while I love it, depending on the film and your mood the old show can either be painful or hilarious, depending. We watch a lot of it in my house, thanks to thesynth's Justin.tv channel, but sometimes it just gets bloody old.

Rifftrax on the other hand, is basically pure win.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Psykoboy2
Enigma Of The Mystical

Send a message via AIM to Psykoboy2 Send a message via MSN to Psykoboy2 Send a message via Skype™ to Psykoboy2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I heard it in post and there was nothing I could do about it. My only guess is that we had the monitor's up so we could talk with Kevin & Bill and after, I guess I didn't turn it down....although I could have sworn I did.

Very sorry about that.
Psykoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
Zecon
Colonist

Hey, thanks for addressing my post from last weeks show and clearing things up. I suppose I came off as a bit of an asshole, too. I guess I just got my fanboy panties in a bunch over the discussion, and I really can understand where you all are coming from. It would be cool to see another studio take the reins for a bit, but I really feel that in this economy, changes like that can be very detrimental to a studio. At least they are trying something new with the IP.
Anyway, another great show today!
Zecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Psykoboy2
Enigma Of The Mystical

Send a message via AIM to Psykoboy2 Send a message via MSN to Psykoboy2 Send a message via Skype™ to Psykoboy2
Hey! Welcome to CoG!!
Psykoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
Zecon
Colonist

Thanks, sorry about last week's mixup, I was wondering why noone else posted at CoG.net.
Zecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Doogie2K
Nailed It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
Honestly, while I love it, depending on the film and your mood the old show can either be painful or hilarious, depending. We watch a lot of it in my house, thanks to thesynth's Justin.tv channel, but sometimes it just gets bloody old.

Rifftrax on the other hand, is basically pure win.
Well, watch enough of anything, it gets old. It just occurs to me that I keep meaning to watch more, and keep, well, not.
Would it be a party without the bionic penis?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeEmBored View Post
Now time to see if the "Dress as Santa and come down your chimney" line works.
Doogie2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #14
MachEnergy
Coked-up Werewolf 4 Prez!

I am posting the Space Mutiny names video because really, it should be posted in every thread....but this one is where it belongs.

The huge scream, then calm-face, then bail-out still cracks me up after all these years.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
Dukefrukem
Awesomeness

Send a message via AIM to Dukefrukem Send a message via Yahoo to Dukefrukem
It took a while to get going after the interview huh?

I'm not diggin all the MMO talk.
PSN: Dukefrukem XBL: Dukefrukem Steam: Dukefrukem Battlenet: Dukefrukem#1729

Currently Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
So now we're positing that the deliberate stagnation of technology is a good thing? Hardware makers should just stop making new shit why, exactly? Because you're too cheap to buy a new card every few years?
Dukefrukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
Vigil80
Colonist

Hey blast from the past with the MST3K guys. I remember catching them late nights. A little disappointed they didn't full on demonstrate their Servo and Crow voices, but I know voice actors must hate getting asked to do things like that.

Looking forward to the coming Prototype and Ghostbusters commentary. I've spent some time with Ghostbusters, and while it was fun and I'm glad it was made, it seems like they were the tiniest bit off with things like the visceral feeling of trapping ghosts, and pretty far off with feeling like you're side by side with THE Ghostbusters. I also could have done with less nods to the previous movies. I guess a Stay-Puft encounter was obligatory, but the Vigo painting in the firehouse is too far. I think a new big bad would have been more satisfying than recycling Gozer as well, but maybe that's just me.

I'm looking forward to some retro- and introspective commentary with the coming summer slowdown (though this summer will be better than some in recent memory).

Finally, I did not realize that's where Big Mclargehuge came from. I need to start rewatching those...

Last edited by Vigil80; 06-25-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Vigil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #17
J Arcane
Gone.

The interview was quite good, and entertaining. I'd imagine it helps having two consummate entertainers themselves as subjects.

After that my interest sort of petered out, as it usually does with podcasts. It's odd, but I'd love to do talk radio or podcasting, almost did an ARG-ish project for one of my RPG projects as well, but I tend to just sort of zone out on actually listening to most of them.

I think all that Air America when I lived in Van ruined it for me.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #18
bulletfood
IGC Whipping Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie2K View Post
I would say yes, yes you are a bad geek. You need to fix that and see more MST3K
bulletfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #19
bulletfood
IGC Whipping Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukefrukem View Post
It took a while to get going after the interview huh?

I'm not diggin all the MMO talk.
Having just started WoW, I could use some more MMO talk.
bulletfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #20
Rock Bandit
some kind of magic

I had to do some catching up with my podcasting due to spending the majority of June without internet (it was harsh man, I almost went feral) so this is a bit late but OH MAN YOU TALKED TO CROW AND SERVO! I could never pick one favorite episode but my favorite line comes from 'The Touch Of Satan'.

Mellisa: "This is where the fish live."
*Jodie leans in for a kiss*
Crow: "Yeah, this is where my tongue lives."

Also I would say the riffing I was most impressed by is 'Hamlet'. There's plenty of cracks about the (low) quality of the film and acting but they also get a lot of great ones in on the story itself ("Ok, we need a predicate NOW." "Man, my Uncle's got a great ass. No wonder Mom's into him."). If you can get some quality riffs in on the greatest drama ever you know you're good.