welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
Kagger
Go Pack Go

Prince of Persia

Is on 48 hour Madness right now. Is it worth it? How are controls with a 360 controller?

Speaking specifically of the PC version for the price of 25 shipped.
Kagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Controls are better with the 360 controller. Its not a bad game. Just extremely short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
KidCactus
Kaktus

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
Controls are better with the 360 controller. Its not a bad game. Just extremely short.
I played it for at least 10 hours, nothing I'd call extremely short.
KidCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

I snagged the PC version for $35 when the game released and I've been very happy with it for that price. It looks gorgeous at 1280x1024, and I've got a dualshock-knockoff PC gamepad that controls it just fine. I'm sure it will also control fine with the 360 controller. It runs very smoothly on my hardware (2.somethingGhz Intel, 2GB RAM, Vista, GeForce8800GTS) and I've found that it's a great game to pick up, play for a half hour, and then come back to.

All that said, though, the epilogue DLC that is coming for the XBox 360 and PS3 versions of the game will not be released for the PC, and without spoiling anything it's important to understand that the ending of the game kind of demands further explanation. So if you get the PC version, you won't be able to see the "full" story, such as it is, unless you also play it on 360/PS3.

Still, $25 is a good price for a very good game.
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there. </Whore>
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
TrackZero
Sr. Features Editor

^^^ Ravenlock nailed it.

Personally I found it to be a great game. Nothing stellar, but definite B+ material and a fun ol' time.

Sr. Features Editor, Colony of Gamers
Gamertag - TrackZero
PSN ID - Tray-Kuh-Ze-Ro
[twitter][giantbomb]
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Kagger
Go Pack Go

Well, really glad I checked requirements. Another craptastic port from Ubisoft. It requires a dual core processor (same as Assassin's Creed). My single core is still running strong, and can play Bioshock at max resolution with DX10.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Panthera
ANUSTART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagger View Post
Well, really glad I checked requirements. Another craptastic port from Ubisoft. It requires a dual core processor (same as Assassin's Creed). My single core is still running strong, and can play Bioshock at max resolution with DX10.
You might as well upgrade. Bioshock barely uses any CPU at all, so that doesn't really tell you much.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
crazyD
Nothing to see here

I bought it for $30, and would have felt ripped off for $10. A very pretty game, but that's about all it has going for it. Terrible stiff controls (and I played with a 360 controller), terrible gameplay, and two annoying main characters. I do not know why it gets any of the credit that it does, but I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone.
crazyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
Kagger
Go Pack Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
You might as well upgrade. Bioshock barely uses any CPU at all, so that doesn't really tell you much.
I don't see a huge reason as of yet, only 2 games cannot run on a single core processor. I'm on a limited budget (college student).

It's just ridiculous that a computer that can run Crysis can't run these games because of the port jobs.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
Ravenlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyD View Post
I bought it for $30, and would have felt ripped off for $10. A very pretty game, but that's about all it has going for it. Terrible stiff controls (and I played with a 360 controller), terrible gameplay, and two annoying main characters. I do not know why it gets any of the credit that it does, but I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone.
I'm curious to hear in a little more detail what you hated so much about it. Did you play and enjoy the last 3 Prince of Persia games (Sands of Time, Warrior Within, Two Thrones) and/or Assassin's Creed? As a fan of all those games, I thought PoP was a very good continuation / merging of the two types of gameplay.

The "no fail" boss fights were a little odd and made the fighting somewhat anticlimactic, but the "Elika saves you when you fall" mechanic was basically no different from any other quicksave system (and as someone mentioned on In Game Chat, was in fact practically identical to what Mirror's Edge does, which I found funny since people consider that game "hardcore" and PoP "dumbed down"), just integrated into the fiction of the game.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
crazyD
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
I'm curious to hear in a little more detail what you hated so much about it. Did you play and enjoy the last 3 Prince of Persia games (Sands of Time, Warrior Within, Two Thrones) and/or Assassin's Creed? As a fan of all those games, I thought PoP was a very good continuation / merging of the two types of gameplay.

The "no fail" boss fights were a little odd and made the fighting somewhat anticlimactic, but the "Elika saves you when you fall" mechanic was basically no different from any other quicksave system (and as someone mentioned on In Game Chat, was in fact practically identical to what Mirror's Edge does, which I found funny since people consider that game "hardcore" and PoP "dumbed down"), just integrated into the fiction of the game.
I have no problems with the no fail gameplay. I do have a problem with lame combat where I am not given direct control, and am forced to get by dialing in the same lame combos, only to get interrupted without any reason given. I have a problem with stiff controls and an overuse of contextual movement that makes you feel like you are kind of shuffling the character in the right direction, rather than actually controlling him. I have a problem with QTEs, and cheap moving obstacles, and the artificial lengthening of the game by forcing me to go through the area I just beat to get those stupid orbs.

I liked Sands of Time, with the exception of any area where you had to fight anything. I never played Warrior Within, as I heard they upped the emphasis on combat, which was the exact opposite of how I feel they should have made the game. I bought Two Thrones, but never really spent much time with it. Assassin's Creed was pretty good for the first few hours of playing, after which it became repetitive and boring. I liked how it actually gave you an open world with multiple ways to transverse terrain, rather than a series of connected corridors.
crazyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
Ravenlock

Okay, fair enough. I can't (and won't) dispute any of your complaints, though they obviously didn't grate me as much as they did you. I actually didn't mind the combat in Sands of Time and loved Assassin's Creed all the way to the end, so I apparently have a higher tolerance for stupid crap. While I don't think they struck a perfect balance, the cinematic nature of the action and combat in the newest PoP made me not mind so much the lack of as much direct control.

The backtracking for orbs did get old, though.