welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 10-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Deus Ex 3 Revealed; Fans May Not Be Happy

CVG has the scoop on Deus Ex 3, the latest iteration in a line of acclaimed FPS/RPG hybrids. This news will make some fans very happy. Others will be seeing red over parts of this story.

Lets start off with the positive. The game is a prequel to the original Deus Ex, set in the year 2027 and seems to be trying to inject a little steampunk into the series' cyberpunk roots. The augmentations are back, and sound better than ever, including a bungee cord that shoots out of your back when you leap out of a window. The developer, Eidos Montreal, promises to learn from the mistakes made on Deus Ex 2: Invisible War.

Then there's the money quote. The one that will invariably cause some fans of the series to grab their torches and pitchforks.
Quote:
Perhaps controversially this time around combat won't be influenced by stats, but will rely purely on your personal marksmanship skills. Instead stats will influence "a vast array of fully upgradeable and customisable weapons", and you'll be able to tailor your arsenal to your play style with mag upgrades, scopes and other add-ons.

What's more, stealth will now rely on a cover system rather than shadows, and damage will be dealt with by a very Call of Duty-style auto-heal. There's probably going to be some debate over those two.
For those of you that never played the original Deus Ex (and if so, for shame!) this is something akin to heresy. The game played a lot like an FPS, but your chances of hitting the target were influenced as much by your stats as your mouse skills. Taking that element out may make it more popular, but it will also alienate many of the die-hard fans of the original.

Source - CVG.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
GunnyMo
Certified Crazy Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to GunnyMo
Meh, sounds good to me. I loved the weapons and the ammo customization in DX1. If they can bring back the crossbow and give me an achievement for playing the game without killing anyone, I will be very happy.

I'm not thrilled about the sans stats but I'm not too upset.
True Achievements: GunnyMo
Steam: GunnyMo

GunnyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
axion
Custom User Title

Also, pics.
Still going to have to wait and see, sounds more generic than the original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I'm not entirely sure what exactly it's called, but it was basically cement. It took me several days to get all of that crap out of my hair. That's the last time I'll let that happen.

Last edited by axion; 10-04-2008 at 10:47 AM.
axion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

Send a message via AIM to maharahaj
Oh my. While I kind of liked the first quoted paragraph, that second one bothers me A GREAT DEAL. Hiding in the shadows directly next to un-suspecting enemies was an awesome gameplay element in the original game and gave alot of strategic opportunities.

And for the record, I liked Deus Ex 2 (though not nearly as much as 1 which still is my favorite game of all time).
maharahaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Crowe
Chi Chi get the YeYo

For once, I'm not worried about a change too one of my favorite franchises. I like being able to rely on my skills with a mouse, it will take away a part of what Deus Ex was, but I don't personally don't see it as a game breaker. There will no doubt be some fans crying foul but I won't be one of them.

To be honest I just hope they have a kick arse story to go along with any Kick arse aug's and gun play. I also hope the game is longer than 8 hours.

*EDIT*

Ok the second paragraph hurts me a little, still not a game breaker but it weighs a little heavy on my heart. I LOVED hiding in the shadows, and who knows how cover is going to go down. Well looks like it will be wait and see like usual.

Last edited by Crowe; 10-04-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
IIntrude
I Kick Ass For the Lord!

Send a message via MSN to IIntrude
The stealth bit makes me worried. I always enjoyed sneaking from shadow to shadow all ninja like. Now it sounds like "ohh you can't see me, I am behind this box. hahaha" Just doesn't sound very Deus Ex to me
IIntrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Deux Ex was definitely before I fell to the Magic side of PC's and I haven't played a single game in the series. That said, I can tell you that the original sounds much more exciting than the generic autoheal cover shooter that we are getting all to familiar with.
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.
Wackman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
JediSanf
Colonist

Why did they fuck with a system that really worked great? Who cares that they piss off the 12yo that can't perfectly snipe from level 1?
JediSanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Crowe
Chi Chi get the YeYo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSanf View Post
Can't perfectly snipe from level 1?
I totally forgot about that. They will have to take a different approach if they want to mimic the original Dues Ex progression. Giving you shitty guns that have limited range and damage capabilities, things like that. I hope that I'm not able to kill enemies from 200 yards away with a pistol shot to the head in the first lvl of the game.

Maybe this would suggest that the game taken a more in your face action orientated approach, we will find out soon enough.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
jeffbax
Colonist

What the shit, what is so hard about following the DX 1 model!
jeffbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
Jackel
Demo to the Death

Send a message via ICQ to Jackel Send a message via AIM to Jackel Send a message via MSN to Jackel Send a message via Yahoo to Jackel
While I'm disappointed to hear that they're changing up the system from the original, I hope that they can make up for it by providing some originality in the weapon upgrades.
Jackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
MinorHero
Colonist

My main concern is whether they console this game up so much that its only connection to Deus Ex has to be told in cut-scenes. Deus Ex 2 suffered from cosolitis almost more then any other game.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
Vyzov
Rainwave Music Manager

Hmm, this announcement means I should really get around to finishing Deus Ex.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #14
SPBTooL
Dad of Doom & Sacrifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSanf View Post
Why did they fuck with a system that really worked great? Who cares that they piss off the 12yo that can't perfectly snipe from level 1?
But if the system is so great, why has it not been used much since? If at all. I liked the system and am surprized it has not realy been used much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinorHero View Post
My main concern is whether they console this game up so much that its only connection to Deus Ex has to be told in cut-scenes. Deus Ex 2 suffered from cosolitis almost more then any other game.
The thing is, the old system would have been more friendly to consoles.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #15
Ghost Rider

I loved Deus Ex 1 enough to make me want to give this a chance. Is it only on PC?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #16
Morangie
Colonist

Bioshock dumbed down massively from System Shock 2 and was still fantastic but after Deus Ex 2, I won't be holding my breath these guys can do the same thing. I'll file this under cash in until they prove otherwise.
Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #17
CES
Colonist

A cover system? Seriously? What's the obsession with cover systems anyway? Seems like you cant get a shooter without one now. As for auto heals, well, ZP said it better than me.

The saddest part is they could just remake DX1 and it'd still sell tons even today.
CES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
Vandabo
Guise srsly

DX1 is one of my top 5 games, but I thought the shooting inaccuracy at the beginning of the game was pretty ludicrous. I think they definitely should make it get progressively better as you upgrade your skill, but it was way too loose at the beginning in DX1.

The things that made DX1 for me were the story and the ability to go stealthy or aggro. I played it both ways and it was a completely different experience each time. Very few games give you that kind of freedom, especially in the FPS genre.

The hide for more health system though, that pisses me off. I'm getting so goddamn tired of that mechanic.
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #19
Bingley Joe
Sing-Ding Enforcer

Auto-healing, I can live with, given that you're wandering around chock-full-o-nanites (there was even an aug for it in the first game), and the skill change probably won't bother me a huge amount either as long as it's balanced well..

But I really don't understand why the cover system and shadows-based-stealth can't happily co-exist. I mean.. getting into cover during a shootout is a smart thing to do, so it genuinely has a place in a game with shooting mechanics. But sneaking around in the shadows in the first game was so much damn fun. Can't we just have both?
Bingley Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
Disgustipated
It goes to 9000!

Send a message via AIM to Disgustipated
The auto-healing/cover system aren't really that big of a downer, but a prequel? Not sure if that'd work as well as a sequel.
Disgustipated is offline   Reply With Quote