welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #2001
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
Honestly? Yeah, $530 is a lot of dough, but the piece of mind that comes from out right owning your phone is so worth it, and so is the amount of leverage it gives you on rates and plans.

I actually pay less money off-contract with T-Mobile than I would if I'd cheaped out on the phone and got one on contract "discount".
It's true. T-Mobile's plan with unlimited data, texting, and 500 minutes is $80 subsidized, $60 unsubsidized. That means you're saving $240/year, or $480 over two years, compared to the $350 you save on the phone. Plus you can leave at any time.
Mike Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #2002
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

In froyo news...

From sprint's twitter page:
Quote:
"HTC EVO will be updated to Android 2.2; Samsung Moment & HTC Hero will not. Future devices launching w/ 2.1 will be also be updated to 2.2."
And for VZ folks, a "reliable source" has this to say about the Droid line up.

I wish Samsung came out with such a reassurance they won't abandon the Captivate/Vibrant/Galaxy S.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #2003
Banacek
Crybaby

Woah, are you a Android spam bot? If so that's awesome.
Banacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #2004
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banacek View Post
Woah, are you a Android spam bot? If so that's awesome.
Look at us sharing thoughts.

Also until Hulu is available, no device runs flash all that great. I do wonder about all those people with bootleg tv websites. But that's too much for me.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #2005
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

In one of the forums, rumor is the Vibrant will be $450 without contract. Random poster said they spoke to a rep but who the fuck knows until it's official. I hate Sprint getting the Pro version with a slider but I heard it feels more plasticy than the standard version.

And when does the Kindle and BN apps finally launch? I'm at the point of FU amazon.
ArmoredXerxes

Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #2006
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

That Wallpaper is horrid, almost designed to make the icons unreadable.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #2007
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
That Wallpaper is horrid, almost designed to make the icons unreadable.
I'm willing to bet that's active wallpaper, so it's constantly moving. Icons will be very easy to see; the battery will be very quick to drain. I turned mine off after about a day.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #2008
Adam Blue
Bluegamer.net

Send a message via AIM to Adam Blue Send a message via MSN to Adam Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Blue
And another new superphone on Sprint, the Samsung Epic Galaxy S Phone. I'd be all over it if it wasn't for the QWERTY.

I think 4+ inches will be the new standard. Messing with my buddy's iPhone 4 yesterday...it was just way too small to comfortably type - and I had an iPhone for 6 months.

BlueGamer Bluecast Live Saturdays 5pm-7pm cst!
Previous episodes can be found here.
Adam Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #2009
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
In froyo news...

From sprint's twitter page:

And for VZ folks, a "reliable source" has this to say about the Droid line up.

I wish Samsung came out with such a reassurance they won't abandon the Captivate/Vibrant/Galaxy S.
Check it out...

http://galaxys.samsungmobile.com/mobile/index.html

http://www.crn.com/networking/225701...PSKHWATMY32JVN

Last edited by Voodoo; 06-28-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #2010
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Why not abandon it? Once they stop selling it, what's their incentive for spending the manpower on customizing Android for it?

One more tick in the Nexus One column. Since it runs the reference version of Android, no customization is necessary. It'll always get the newest updates, and always get them first.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #2011
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelehan View Post
Why not abandon it? Once they stop selling it, what's their incentive for spending the manpower on customizing Android for it?

One more tick in the Nexus One column. Since it runs the reference version of Android, no customization is necessary. It'll always get the newest updates, and always get them first.
Cause then the people who did buy the device won't like Samsung or buy their products again.

I do have to say Google is advancing android at a what must seem like a retarded rate to phone makers. They can't even hype and get a 2.1 device out before Google runs on to the next them.
ArmoredXerxes

Old 06-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #2012
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

That's because they're used to pushing out phones that are basically shit. Cheap white good phones they can just fire and forget, and go on to pumping out the next trendy doodad.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #2013
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that's active wallpaper, so it's constantly moving. Icons will be very easy to see; the battery will be very quick to drain. I turned mine off after about a day.
I don't want to say wrong, but in the beginning I shunned the active wallpaper. Funny thing though, a month or so ago I realized my battery life was still shit. Says it was the display like always but my brightness was on low. So I deleted email accounts, and all activity's and made it so it was as lame as a plan jane fresh start. Now I'm lasting just over 24 hours with a decent amount of use including music in the car and books in down time. Slowly, I've been adding things. One such thing was the Live wallpaper that comes with beautiful widgets. It's basically the weather in the background. I'm shocked to say but I'm still getting the same amount of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Blue View Post
I'd be all over it if it wasn't for the QWERTY.
You know why I you like Adam. You always goes against the grain. Like the opposite of popular opinion.

Also, you have a EVO 4G. I played with one of those last week. I don't really know how well this compares, but I wouldn't think much. Samsung has boasted once before about better screens with awesome battery life only for it to end up very meh.
ArmoredXerxes

Old 06-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #2014
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
That's because they're used to pushing out phones that are basically shit. Cheap white good phones they can just fire and forget, and go on to pumping out the next trendy doodad.
NO... It's not just Samsung though.

Although can you really tell Motorola and Samsung apart!
Although they stepped they game up with the DROID lineup. Probably says more about Verizon than Motorola though. And HTC has always tried to some extent I suppose.
ArmoredXerxes

Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #2015
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
I don't want to say wrong, but in the beginning I shunned the active wallpaper. Funny thing though, a month or so ago I realized my battery life was still shit. Says it was the display like always but my brightness was on low. So I deleted email accounts, and all activity's and made it so it was as lame as a plan jane fresh start. Now I'm lasting just over 24 hours with a decent amount of use including music in the car and books in down time. Slowly, I've been adding things. One such thing was the Live wallpaper that comes with beautiful widgets. It's basically the weather in the background. I'm shocked to say but I'm still getting the same amount of life.
Active wallpaper is included under Display in your battery usage. My battery life went WAY up when I turned it down.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #2016
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Active wallpaper is included under Display in your battery usage. My battery life went WAY up when I turned it down.
I know. In the beginning it worked a little. Maybe it's just this wallpaper. I don't have it set to animate at the highest level but the grass still sways and the rain still falls.<shrug>
ArmoredXerxes

Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #2017
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Active wallpaper is included under Display in your battery usage. My battery life went WAY up when I turned it down. I don't know what to tell you.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #2018
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Quote:
I do have to say Google is advancing android at a what must seem like a retarded rate to phone makers. They can't even hype and get a 2.1 device out before Google runs on to the next them.
I think their rate is fantastic. Google is developing the OS, making it freely available to all of these phone makers and versioning it at such a rate not seen ever in the mobile phone market. There may be phone makers that are going to leave certain devices in the dust. It seems, though, Motorola is definitely not one of them. HTC and Samsung so far have been performing about even in the OS upgrade departments. The key for the manufactures is to create a device which doesn't take a lot to upgrade the OS on.

All of the Android phone manufacturers have free and open source access to Android 2.2. The only thing to hold back the upgrades as far as this OS is concerned are the device manufacturers. This is, quite frankly, unprecedented and absolutely fantastic.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #2019
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Did you just repost after I replied, I'm using it with no ill effects? O_o

Voodoo I don't hate evolution. Isn't the next version supposed to focus on making the OS easier to update?
ArmoredXerxes

Last edited by Xerxes; 06-28-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #2020
Crittias
The Professor

Quote:
And when does the Kindle and BN apps finally launch? I'm at the point of FU amazon.
Kindle for Android.
Crittias is offline   Reply With Quote