welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #9061
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
Unfortunately, the Sonic games are not included.
That is because the wanted to leave room for all the really awesome Genesis games like Landstalkers, Wonder Boy 3, Gunstar Heroes, Shining Force, Shining in the Darkness, etc.
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #9062
Zagrash
3 ducks in a man suit

Send a message via AIM to Zagrash Send a message via Yahoo to Zagrash
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
That is because the wanted to leave room for all the really awesome Genesis games like Landstalkers, Wonder Boy 3, Gunstar Heroes, Shining Force, Shining in the Darkness, etc.
The omission of Toejam & Earl is troubling, although I still have that for Genesis, and have downloaded it on Wii, so I guess I could overlook it just this once.
Zagrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #9063
EternalGamer
Colonist

Ok, I agree Toe Jam & Earl is worthy of inclusion (though the sequel not so much). Still, there are an amazing amount of good games there. Including a lot of unsung heroes.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #9064
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

Quote:
As well as "Bio Hazard Battle" and "Vectorman" and "Galaxy Force II"?

They've run the limit out a long time ago, now they're just blatantly withholding the goods.

And where's Phantasy Star IV for fuck's sake?

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #9065
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
As well as "Bio Hazard Battle" and "Vectorman" and "Galaxy Force II"?

They've run the limit out a long time ago, now they're just blatantly withholding the goods.

And where's Phantasy Star IV for fuck's sake?
But the Sonic games are not the ones worth complaining about in my opinion. I agree with no-Phantasy Star being a bad thing. But I personally really love Vectorman (especially when you can now use save states--it makes it a much better game).

Still the games that are included have a lot of terrific stuff: Landstalkers is, in my opinion, the best 2D adventure game ever made (even better than Link to the Past). Gunstar Heroes is completely awesome. Shining in the Darkness is one of my favorite classic dungeon crawls. Ristar is awesome. Kid Chameleon, Light Crusader, Shining Force 1 & 2, and Shadow Dancer.

In fact, I think they only truly crappy games in that collection are Flicky, Eco Jr. and Columns 3. The later isn't so much bad as it is unecessary when you have the original. Columns is Columns.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #9066
MagGnome

Quote:
Holy crap. Sega Ultimate Genesis Pack - 40 awesome Genesis games, for $7.50 on Steam. Or just 10 of the best ones for $1.75.

Also, Alpha Protocol for $2.
That Genesis deal is incredible. I never had a Genesis, so I might pick that up.

Edit - Wait, people are really complaining about a bundle of 40 games for $7.50? Damn. -_-
Old 09-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #9067
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
That Genesis deal is incredible. I never had a Genesis, so I might pick that up.

Edit - Wait, people are really complaining about a bundle of 40 games for $7.50? Damn. -_-
They are right that about 6 or 7 of those games kind of suck by today's standards. But there are still a pile of great games for $7.

At the very least, though, check out Gunstar, Shining in the Darkness, and Landstalkers for $0.75 each.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #9068
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

I would warn: Don't expect to get anywhere in Shining in the Darkness without either a map, or some graph paper and painstaking mapping.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Old 09-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #9069
Lance Uppercut
hurf durf

In for that Genesis collection, and Crazy Fucking Taxi. I had a Genesis growing up, so buying this pack is an easy decision for me. I don't think I had this many Genesis carts growing up, though.
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #9070
MagGnome

Quote:
They are right that about 6 or 7 of those games kind of suck by today's standards. But there are still a pile of great games for $7.

At the very least, though, check out Gunstar, Shining in the Darkness, and Landstalkers for $0.75 each.
I'm just going to buy the whole pack. I really doubt I will ever play them all, but for $7.50 it will be fun to dink around with some of them.

I do agree that it would be nice to have the three Sonic games in there, but oh well. I don't think I've played a single one of the games in that 40 pack, so I'm still excited about it.

Quote:
I would warn: Don't expect to get anywhere in Shining in the Darkness without either a map, or some graph paper and painstaking mapping.
Thankfully we live in the age of the Internet!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #9071
MagGnome

I was really excited about the concept of a Dreamcast collection until I saw that it only included 4 games. Meh.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #9072
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

I played SitD before the dawn of home internet access, so I had to do it all with graph paper. In a game with no compass, and where the wall textures are all exactly the same.

I never beat it. At some point I mis-pressed the d-pad and didn't know how many times I'd turned and thus was completely lost. At that point I gave the hell up.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #9073
crazyD
Nothing to see here

I rather enjoyed Alpha Protocol, and it is a steal for $2, if you are able to look under the lack of polish. I do love me some Obsidian in the same way I love crazy ambitious Russian games.
crazyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #9074
MagGnome

Quote:
I played SitD before the dawn of home internet access, so I had to do it all with graph paper. In a game with no compass, and where the wall textures are all exactly the same.

I never beat it. At some point I mis-pressed the d-pad and didn't know how many times I'd turned and thus was completely lost. At that point I gave the hell up.
My friends and I made maps for several older PC titles. I can't recall specific examples, but we spent hours mapping out various dungeons, levels, etc. Those were the good ol' days, ha ha.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #9075
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyD View Post
I rather enjoyed Alpha Protocol, and it is a steal for $2, if you are able to look under the lack of polish. I do love me some Obsidian in the same way I love crazy ambitious Russian games.
Did they ever figure out how to mod it?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #9076
Zagrash
3 ducks in a man suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous Bunny View Post
Apparently there were publisher issues: Sega or someone went ahead and put the game on Steam when they actually didn't have the publishing rights anymore, and subsequently took it down. Supposedly the makers have been in contact about it and are trying to sort things out, but it's been awfully quiet for some time now.
I guess I really don't NEED 3 copies of the game, but having it on Steam would be helpful in case my genesis and Wii crap out, and replacements aren't available for some crazy reason
Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #9077
JayVe
Kamalot at heart

Oh shit. I went crazy on the Genesis stuff. Picked up Alpha Protocol and some others. I thought I was gonna be in for a hurting... less than $13.

I <3 Steam! :-D
Steam: Kamalot
JayVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #9078
MagGnome

The Genesis games are all put into one "Game" with the individual titles treated as DLC. That's pretty slick.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #9079
Zagrash
3 ducks in a man suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
The Genesis games are all put into one "Game" with the individual titles treated as DLC. That's pretty slick.
OK, that probably just sold me on that bundle. Does it just launch into a front end that lets you select what game you want to play?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #9080
Arphahat
Fear the mighty Tuskbull!

I dunno. What games in the bundle are worth it? I don't recognize many, but I also didn't have a Genesis.

Alpha Protocol: is it just a FPS, or is there a gimmick?

Crazy Taxi, though... I played the hell outta that one on the PS2 and will grab that. The other ones in that bundle looked kinda meh, though. Anything there that I am misjudging?
Steam Trading Cards

Steam | XPP Mod for Minecraft | Download XPP
Arphahat is offline   Reply With Quote