welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

WGA Announces Nominees for Game Writing Award

The Writer's Guild of America (WGA) has announced the nominees for their awards, including "best videogame writing". The nominees:

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 (EA). Writer: Haris Orkin. Story Producer: Mical Pedriana.

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! (Mousechief). Writing: Keith Nemitz. Additional Writing: Adrianne Ambrose.

Fallout 3 (Bethesda). Lead Writer: Emil Pagliarulo. Quest Writing: Erik J. Caponi, Brian Chapin, Jon Paul Duvall, Kurt Kuhlmann, Alan Nanes, Bruce Nesmith, and Fred Zeleny. Additional Quest Writing: Nate Ellis, William Killeen, Mark Nelson, and Justin McSweeney.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (LucasArts). Writers: Haden Blackman, Shawn Pitman, John Stafford and Cameron Suey.

Tomb Raider: Underworld
(Eidos). Story: Eric Lindstrom and Toby Guard. Screenplay: Eric Lindstrom.

The winners of the WGA awards will be announced on February 7th. This is the second year the Guild has given an award for game writing. And no, I haven't heard of "Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!" either.

Source - Variety.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Purple Santa
Al Capone's father

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
The Writer's Guild of America (WGA) has announced the nominees for their awards, including "best videogame writing". The nominees:

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 (EA). Writer: Haris Orkin. Story Producer: Mical Pedriana.

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! (Mousechief). Writing: Keith Nemitz. Additional Writing: Adrianne Ambrose.

Fallout 3 (Bethesda). Lead Writer: Emil Pagliarulo. Quest Writing: Erik J. Caponi, Brian Chapin, Jon Paul Duvall, Kurt Kuhlmann, Alan Nanes, Bruce Nesmith, and Fred Zeleny. Additional Quest Writing: Nate Ellis, William Killeen, Mark Nelson, and Justin McSweeney.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (LucasArts). Writers: Haden Blackman, Shawn Pitman, John Stafford and Cameron Suey.

Tomb Raider: Underworld
(Eidos). Story: Eric Lindstrom and Toby Guard. Screenplay: Eric Lindstrom.

The winners of the WGA awards will be announced on February 7th. This is the second year the Guild has given an award for game writing. And no, I haven't heard of "Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!" either.

Source - Variety.
Actually Spigot mentioned this in a thread and led a few of us to try it out. It's suppose to be a lot of fun.

I need to get back to TR:Underworld now. I loved the story of TR:Legend, and if Underworld is up for an award...impressive. Nice to see Fallout 3 get the nod also.

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
cppcrusader
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
And no, I haven't heard of "Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!" either.
I want to Google it to find out about it, but I'm scared of what the results will likely turn up.
Zune | Twitter
cppcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
Ancalagon
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppcrusader View Post
I want to Google it to find out about it, but I'm scared of what the results will likely turn up.
Yeah, I'm not searching for that at work either.
Ancalagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
nnanji
Colonist

I Googled it. It appears to be a turn-base board-game style, set in the 1920's. You form a gang of girls at your boarding school and use their various abilities to investigate the town, turn the tables on adults, and.... other stuff? I watched what their website called "a cheesy game-play video," but I still didn't get what the objective was. Unless it was avoiding detention.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
Purple Santa
Al Capone's father

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
Yeah, I'm not searching for that at work either.
It's safe for work. I just downloaded it to check it out. From the instructions it says it's a vintage board game. The title is the raciest thing I've seen so far in the game

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
agentgray
Spigot's Nemesis

DHSGiT is amazing! This may sound crazy, but I think it's the best "story" listed. Just. Heh.

Best of all. It's for a good price.

http://www.mousechief.com/dhsg/index.html

UPDATE: Also, when I see a list like this, it helps make the WGA more legit in my eyes when compared to the Academy and the Hollywood Foreign Press and especially the crap that shows up on MTV and Spike.

Last edited by agentgray; 01-13-2009 at 08:29 AM.
agentgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Spigot
Turn Me

I never thought I'd see the day where Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! would hit the front page (unless I put it there).

It's definately worth taking for a spin. It's very different from probably anything you've played, but man, it's fun and the writing is awesome.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
RandoM51
Peripheral Visionary

Happy to see GTA4 not on that list.
RandoM51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Variable Gear
Anarchy in the Galaxy!

Unhappy to see Fallout 3 on that list.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
MagGnome

Thanks to Spigot, I am going to have to give High School girls a try sometime.

After all, it just wouldn't be right for him to play a PC game that I haven't.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
Sly Marbo
Colonist

Happy to see TWEWY not on the list.
Sly Marbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
Spigot
Turn Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable Gear View Post
Unhappy to see Fallout 3 on that list.
Say what you will about the story, but you can't argue that the writing in Fallout 3 isn't great stuff.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Variable Gear
Anarchy in the Galaxy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Say what you will about the story, but you can't argue that the writing in Fallout 3 isn't great stuff.
I disagree. The writing is what makes the story of Fallout 3 substandard, in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
mister slim
Delinquent-class Poster

Yeah, Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble is awesome. Smart dialogue and clever social-interaction mini-games. Also I was having a little trouble buying it as a gift for my sister and Kevin Nemitz replied to my email within a couple of hours.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
CES
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
The padding was nice but the core writing and dialogue was, in short, crap.

Also, how the hell did RA3 get nominated? I'm fairly sure they wrote the story to be bad on purpose. This is not worthy of awards.
CES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #17
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CES View Post
Also, how the hell did RA3 get nominated? I'm fairly sure they wrote the story to be bad on purpose. This is not worthy of awards.
Wouldn't that be good writing then, if it was intended to be over the top and cheesy?

I have a question about Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble - Does anyone know if they keep a record of your purchase? I hate buying individual games through websites like that, as it makes it difficult to track them all down at a later date. That's one of the reasons I prefer more unified services. I'd also like to know if I could buy the game and download it on both my PC and Mac.

I guess I should look for those answers at the site itself.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #18
mister slim
Delinquent-class Poster

If you buy Dangerous High School Girls in trouble from Reflexive they email you a code you can use to activate the Mac or PC trials they have at the Reflexive site. http://www.reflexive.com/DangerousHi...nTrouble!.html

Edit: The Mousechief site's DRM is different.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #19
Spigot
Turn Me

I was trying to figure out what the difference between the trial and full version of DHSGiT! was.

And I guess I was talking more about the writing what would probably be concidered padding sections of Fallout 3 being great. I haven't really dug into the main storyline but I've loved the characters and general dialogue that I've come across whilst stumbling around the wasteland.

Compared to most games, it's high art.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #20
KingGorilla
Colonist

I could go onto a diatribe about Fallout or GTA, or Red Fucking Alert? But that list just further illustrates it was a downer year for games. I really hope Portal 2 or Episode 3 makes it out this year. Just to edge out 5 games, look what got thrown onto that list.

And I really have to wonder about the omission of The Witcher Enhanced Edition. If WoW patches can get accolades, why not The Witcher?

I do plan on trying Dangerous High School Girls however.
KingGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote