welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Bethesda: Prey 2 Not Canceled, But Not Coming This Year

After months of rumors and speculation, Bethesda has finally issued a statement on the status of Prey 2.
Quote:
Development of Prey 2 has not been cancelled but the game will not be released in 2012 as planned. The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards. Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule.
There's a bit more in that statement than appears at first blush. This bit in particular.
Quote:
due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards
I read a ton of press releases every week. Few, if any, were this bold in saying, essentially, that the developer has dropped the ball. Games get delayed all the time, and PR departments normally do what they can so soothe fans when it happens. Putting the new date at the end of a hot new trailer for example, or announcing a cool new feature. This, a cold statement released after months of rampant speculation, is a shot across the bow of developer Human Head, whose name is conspicuously absent from the missive. It's Bethesda saying that they considered canning Prey 2, but decided in the end to keep development going. Development that doesn't necessarily include Human Head.

[Update] - At this point Bethesda won't even confirm if Human Head is developing Prey 2. That itself is pretty damning.

[Update 2] - And the plot thickens. An anonymous source at Human Head, speaking to Shacknews, says the studio stopped working on Prey 2 back in November. The stoppage was an attempt to force publisher Bethesda to alter terms of the development contract Human Head felt were unfair. It's possible the game hasn't progressed any since the last time it was seen because development on it stopped soon thereafter. The same source says Human Head's team wasn't too upset because they were already working on another high profile project and negotiations on that project were "going well".
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Well, if Bethesda is holding a game back for QA issues, that's...saying something.

But seriously, their games launch buggy as hell. I'm still glad this wasn't canceled. I look forward to buying it day one of the first patch
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
jpublic
Threadslayer

I think this surprising. All the previews I saw on Prey 2 said it was looking to be hot shit.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
I think this surprising. All the previews I saw on Prey 2 said it was looking to be hot shit.
There's a reason Bethesda is thought to have some of the best PR people in the industry. They took a game which was nowhere near complete and created a demo which got positive write ups from numerous cynical and jaded game writers. All for a game which was apparently in such bad shape that less than a year later it may have been taken away from it's developer mid stream.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Good to hear it's still coming.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), FFXIV (PC), FFXIII (PC), Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (3DS), Fire Emblem (3DS)
FFXIV: Assyndra Siafu on Hyperion (US)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

I guess the game is proud of it's heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Here's hoping it will see the light of day, and play similar to the demo we saw a year ago. In terms of a concept and gameplay elements, it is just about everything I want in a video game, and I have a feeling I'm not the only one, which was why so many were upset about the "canceling".
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.
Wackman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Update OP. This is starting to get interesting/ugly.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Ahh, so basically Human Head signed a contract in Bethesda's favor, then when Prey 2 was surprisingly well received and became an anticipated title, they decided they could strong-arm Bethesda into renegotiating.

End Result: Prey 2 gets lost in development hell, Bethesda and Human Head suffer bad PR, fans get fucked.
Follow me on Twitter!
Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Don't forget that a large chunk of Human Head's team was laid off when they stopped work. And if it's true - and maybe even if it can't be proven - it may kill the studio. What publisher is going to give them a decent deal now that they're accused of something like this?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Hawkzombie
Undead Avian of Canada

Yeah, the flippant attitute of it...even if it is just a rumor, the snippet about 'well, we're got another game in the works, so this doesn't matter' just REEKS of being arrogant.

What publisher is going to want to deal with them when they will just be strong-armed if the game starts to show promise, or for fear they'll simply work on another game instead?
PSN/Steam ID/BNet Tag - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie/HawkZombie#1136

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Remember that this happened around the same time Obsidian layoffs. They were just covering their tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Well, shit. I have reservations about the game's future again.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), FFXIV (PC), FFXIII (PC), Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (3DS), Fire Emblem (3DS)
Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Superman's Dead
And Loving Every Minute

Send a message via AIM to Superman's Dead
I want to punch human head in the dick.

"yeah, our game is probably going to be great. If we finish it. But first you must pay us FIVE MILLION DOLLARS, MISTER BOND"

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm just going to hate everyone, to be safe.
PSN: clarkkentsdead
Superman's Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman's Dead View Post
I want to punch human head in the dick.

"yeah, our game is probably going to be great. If we finish it. But first you must pay us FIVE MILLION DOLLARS, MISTER BOND"

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
I know I should think James Bond, but I immediately thought:

Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
bryan
Colonist

The core mechanics looked great, but I could see the game still needed work in at least the AI. It was dumb as a post.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #17
tacitus
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgetcraft View Post
Ahh, so basically Human Head signed a contract in Bethesda's favor, then when Prey 2 was surprisingly well received and became an anticipated title, they decided they could strong-arm Bethesda into renegotiating.

End Result: Prey 2 gets lost in development hell, Bethesda and Human Head suffer bad PR, fans get fucked.
I am a bit late on the updated news - but isn't it stupid to play chicken with Bethesda? I mean this is the company that sued Notch; they have lawyers and are willing to use them. That tells you that Bethesda doesn't care about bad PR.

If I recall correctly, Obsidian was played a flat fee for FONV. Maybe thats the case with Human Head and the total check wasn't going to cover the manpower needed to finish it. Hence the layoffs and this news article.
tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote