welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 04-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Sex Offenders Banned From Online Gaming

With the initiation of Operation: Game Over, New York state is beginning to remove those on their registered sex offenders list from various gaming services. As part of their law regarding sex offenders, those on the list are required to provide the state with e-mail addresses and screen names so that they may be made available to certain websites where they can be purged from their services.

They are now moving on to targeting gaming services specifically, mentioning XBOX Live and implying a wide range of other services. Working with various companies including Microsoft, Apple, Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Disney, Warner Bros. and Sony, a total of 3,580 sex offenders have been removed from online gaming services owned by the companies. See the official press release from Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman below:

Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
ClannerDelta
Lazzaloqu Devotee

Quote:
First-Of-Its-Kind Online Video Game Sweep Protects The Safety And Security Of Children Statewide
I did chuckle at this. Glad to see Soviet era propaganda speech is still in use.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I think real sex offenders should be excluded from services that cater to children. On the other, there's a lot of people on sex offender lists that really shouldn't be.
ClannerDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

I agree, Clanner. It's too easy to get on the list, and really, people are starting to reach too far into what they can and cannot do. Let's see, they can't have any kind of social life since they have to ostracize themselves the moment they move into a neighborhood, they can't get a real job because they're on the list, and now they can't play video games online. Why not just lock them up, at this point? I shouldn't have to feel bad for rapists and pedophiles.

It's like, "Well, we hate you... but we're not going to lock you up, and we're not going to kill you. We're going to throw you back into society, and exclude you from everything." I guess the hope is that they will break the rules and get sent back to prison? I feel like the law is somehow trying to devour itself, like a snake eating it's own tail. It doesn't want to lock sex offenders up forever, so it releases them, but it wants to lock them up forever so it makes life as difficult as possible so that they will inevitably be locked up forever.
Follow me on Twitter!

Last edited by Widgetcraft; 04-05-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
LordDon
Terrible Yet Refined

And videogames haven't been just for kids for a while now. Urgh, this leaves a bad taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
You can take my anus when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
LordDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Vigil80
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClannerDelta View Post
I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I think real sex offenders should be excluded from services that cater to children. On the other, there's a lot of people on sex offender lists that really shouldn't be.
My thoughts as well. I can't muster much opposition to this measure in and of itself, but I have my doubts about the rest of the system.
Vigil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Pale Ale
Ricardo Verboten

Quote:
Under New York State law, convicted sex offenders must register all of their e-mail addresses, screen names, and other Internet identifiers with the state, and that information is then made available to certain websites so they can purge potential predators from their online networks. After the Office of Attorney General approached gaming companies to remove registered sex offenders on their networks, the companies agreed to purge the accounts. Operation: Game Over is the first time the law has been applied to online video game systems.

And here I was worried. Good to know I can rest easy knowing the honesty of sex offenders will keep them in line.

Is New York voting for Attorney General this year?

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Shitty law that won't do a thing to protect children but will make politicians look like they're doing something. Like any determined child abuser couldn't just, I don't know, make an e-mail address and screen name that they keep secret?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Well, for many of those services you'll also need a credit card, and an address. I'm guessing random sex offenders will still be able to get onto any given free service, but XBOX Live and WoW are out the window. Giving them plenty of free time, which I guess is a good idea somehow? You want your sex offenders to have no hobbies, no significant occupations, and no social obligations so that they can sit alone in their homes thinking about things all introspective-like.
Follow me on Twitter!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Would seem fairly easy to circumvent it... unless they put an ankle monitoring device around their INTERNET.

Besides, the stuff the average WoW player spouts can't be any more vile or disgusting than what a pedophile might say...
Blog: Rise
Reverant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Satertek
Colonist

The sex offender list nowadays is almost analogous to life in prison, except more embarrassing. It's the only other crime that I know other than murder that stays with you for life.

This also serves to further perpetuate the idea the video games are seen as something only kids play.

I hope it doesn't catch on just as I hope massive reforms are made to the sex offender system.
Satertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
LongStepMantis
Waste of good suffering

This seems pointless. I'm all for keeping sex offenders away from kids, but as others have stated, simply being on a list doesn't make you an incurable pedophile maniac. You can wind up on a list for statutory rape if you're a year apart in age from your partner, varying by state, etc. I knew a guy in high school that happened to. He was 18, she was 17, and they had been dating for over a year. Her parents freaked out when they caught them having sex and reported him, and he was arrested for statutory rape. I'm not saying most of the offenders on the lists aren't justified, just that casting such a broad net is never a good idea.

Plus, you know what's obviously safer than allowing an actual pedophile to game from their home and possibly interact with kids in a virtual environment? Taking that outlet away so they just go out in the real world to act on their twisted impulses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshkdmw View Post
Consider the lilies of the field. They toil not, neither do they spin. And they have dick jokes aplenty.
LongStepMantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Deadend
Done

Send a message via AIM to Deadend
Aren't there a bunch of minor offenses unrelated to say.. raping children that can get one on the sex offenders list?

I'd also love to hear about the cases where a previously convicted sex offender has used an online gaming service to find a new victim.
As I'm putting this under a bullshit law meant to get votes and show that one cares about the kids.

I also think that the pedophiles are terrible people but also fucking crazy and instead of trying to throw them away, they should be kept track of and have regular contact with social services to try and keep them from relapsing, if we are going to have a system that lets them out of prison even.
Deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
pomeroy
FREE DISGUSTIPATED

If someone is that much of a danger to children that they need to live in certain areas, can't work a lot of jobs, etc...they should be locked up anyway.

The sex offender list is stupid.
pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
Dorkandproudofit
Thread Killer

If this were at all enforceable, or practical, I'd be all for it. If you're a pedophile, fuck you, you deserve every form of humiliation, ostracism and ridicule you get; The more often the public (and you, the offender) is reminded that you are a disgusting, perverted, repulsive, abhorrent, inhuman creature scum, the more emotional and psychological suffering you experience, thus providing you with somewhere near the equivalent of suffering you caused others.

The law itself isn't going to do jack shit, but causing suffering to monsters who prey on children is always good, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
When I first found a kilt, it was woefully weak. I was disappointed. Rump Rump the Prettiest Orc loves to feel the breeze.
Searching for proof that amateur writers can beat pros, occasionally.
Dorkandproudofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
If someone is that much of a danger to children that they need to live in certain areas, can't work a lot of jobs, etc...they should be locked up anyway.

The sex offender list is stupid.
We can send them to sex offender island? Bunch of pervy dudes and a couple hot teachers.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
Pale Ale
Ricardo Verboten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
We can send them to sex offender island? Bunch of pervy dudes and a couple hot teachers.
Awww, but it's cute when women with authority over children do it!

Well ok, CCTV everywhere with shotguns and booze. Maybe we could use Kickstarter.

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
Farsight
DON'T FIGHT IT!

Our society's handling of crime is barbaric and childish. Either we believe in rehabilitation, or we don't. Telling convicts that they're free to re-enter society, but that they can't actually be a part of it, is the worst possible way to deal with them. "Welcome back to the world! Now, don't expect to be able to get a job, since you have to tell employers about your criminal history, even if it's completely unrelated! Good luck, and see ya back in prison soon!"

We don't need a sex offenders list. Anyone we think is that big of a risk should still be in jail or in an asylum. Anyone else should be allowed to live their lives.

On a lighter note, I can see a future Bioware forum post now... "I got drunk and peed on a car, and now I can't have the real Mass Effect ending! I hate you Bioware!"
Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
bstiff
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongStepMantis View Post
You can wind up on a list for statutory rape if you're a year apart in age from your partner, varying by state, etc. I knew a guy in high school that happened to. He was 18, she was 17, and they had been dating for over a year. Her parents freaked out when they caught them having sex and reported him, and he was arrested for statutory rape. I'm not saying most of the offenders on the lists aren't justified, just that casting such a broad net is never a good idea.
I knew someone in a similar situation now he's branded a sex offender regardless that it was consensual and they were a few months apart in age. There seems to be a little narrow mindedness as far as what a sex offender actually is. All pedophiles are sex offenders, but not all sex offenders are pedophiles. Hell, in some states you can be arrested for engaging in oral or anal sex even in consensual.
bstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
pomeroy
FREE DISGUSTIPATED

I just don't think people should be on the sex offender list for public urination.
pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
OUX
Venn Master

Send a message via AIM to OUX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
I just don't think people should be on the sex offender list for public urination.
To be fair, it was at a car show.
OUX is offline   Reply With Quote