welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Amazon Prime Instant Video Now Available on PS3

Wow! I didn't see this one coming at all!

Amazon Prime members with PlayStation 3s (me) can now rejoice as the increasingly popular Instant Video perk that comes with Prime membership is now available to stream directly to the PS3.

Quote:
Good news -- Prime Instant Video is now available on PlayStation 3. Since launching a year ago, we've more than tripled our library, including titles such as Sons of Anarchy, Downton Abbey, Lost, Glee, 24, Deadliest Catch, SpongeBob SquarePants, Office Space, The Graduate, The Last Emperor, The Thin Red Line, The Last of the Mohicans, and Brokeback Mountain.

Prime members get unlimited instant streaming of these titles and 17,000 more. If you're already a Prime member, just register your PlayStation 3 and start watching now. If not, start your one-month free trial of Amazon Prime today.

With free two-day shipping on millions of items, access to thousands of books from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, and instant streaming of thousands of Prime Instant Videos, Prime is an outstanding value and remains only $79 a year.
Amazon

As I said, I didn't see this one coming at all. I was about to pull the trigger on a Roku or WD box so that I could stream AIV to my TV, but now there's no need.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

So this is only available to Prime members? I've bought some TV episodes through the service, and occasionally rent a movie, so it would be cool to be able to do that through my PS3 without being a full Prime member.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
So this is only available to Prime members? I've bought some TV episodes through the service, and occasionally rent a movie, so it would be cool to be able to do that through my PS3 without being a full Prime member.
Prime members only, unfortunately.

Edit - wait. I misread your question. See Gorvi's reply below.

Gamertag - fitbabits | PSN ID - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Ah well. No big deal.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits View Post
Prime members only, unfortunately.
Not according to everything I've read. It looks like anyone can use it for buying and renting, but Prime members can stream too.

EDIT: According to the PlayStation Blog post on it:
Quote:
Head on over to the TV/Video Services category of the XMB, where you can download and install the new Amazon Instant Video app right now for free. Once you launch the app, you’ll have instant access to thousands of streaming and downloadable movies and TV shows for rental or purchase. There are more than 120,000 commercial-free movies and TV shows for rental or purchase, including new releases, classic favorites, major TV shows, full seasons and even new episodes of some of your favorite TV shows the day after they air. Many of the DVD and Blu-Ray titles on Amazon.com are also offered on Amazon Instant Video available through this new app.
So is Amazon Prime worth it for streaming if I already have Netflix?
DananRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair
PSN ID: Gorvi - Steam ID: gorvivelgin

Last edited by Gorvi; 04-03-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Vigil80
Colonist

I'm on it right now, and I'm seeing prices under show entries like:
Prime $0.00, Rent from $2.99

No reason to do that if you only have Prime members on the service.
Vigil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Of course this happens right after I succeed in building a media pc so I won't have to use my PS3 for watching videos anymore
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), FFXIV (PC), FFXIII (PC), Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (3DS), Fire Emblem (3DS)
FFXIV: Assyndra Siafu on Hyperion (US)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
LarsenNET
Colonist

It would be nice if they had an iOS app. Also it would be nice if HBOGo was on the PS3, since it's a Blu-Ray player it has become the media hub.
LarsenNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Please please please please please please please please please PLEASE come to Xbox Live someday!
Published Book(s)
Website
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Wow! I was going to get a Roku but haven't because it can't stream from a network source. Now with this on my PS3 (Thanks MightBe) it has become quite the useful media box gaming machine. Impressive.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

I will probably be using this. Neato
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDon View Post
I love you, Orc.
TheFlyingOrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Vanthar
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
So is Amazon Prime worth it for streaming if I already have Netflix?
In short, no. I have prime because I shop at Amazon almost exclusively, but I would not recommend purchasing it purely for the video service, not yet anyway. That being said, they have been adding content like mad men in the last year. I would not be surprised if they are coming close to selection parity with Netflix in a year or two.

I'm really surprised Sony is going to basically allow a competing VOD service on their device.
Vanthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I love Prime, but something that I just now noticed after more than a year of using it...

I can buy a several hundred dollar item with literally one click. I'm forced to confirm/log-in in order to view past orders. This truth might be the single greatest monument to consumerism in history.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanthar View Post
I'm really surprised Sony is going to basically allow a competing VOD service on their device.
In the current content eco-system you can't build an all-in-one device without partner deals; doing it all in house is a recipe for mediocrity. It looks like someone at Sony finally gets the whole 'rising water, all ships' analogy.

He'll be fired within the year.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
Vanthar
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
In the current content eco-system you can't build an all-in-one device without partner deals; doing it all in house is a recipe for mediocrity. It looks like someone at Sony finally gets the whole 'rising water, all ships' analogy.

He'll be fired within the year.
I expect to wake up tomorrow to a news article stating that Sony has required Amazon to remove the ability to rent/buy shows.
Vanthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
Xydarc
Time to rage

Sign up was pretty easy. Watching Red vs Blue right now. Nice to know my Prime membership is good for more than just cheap 2 day shipping.
Xydarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
Kelegacy
All Around Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits View Post
Wow! I didn't see this one coming at all!

Amazon Prime members with PlayStation 3s (me) can now rejoice as the increasingly popular Instant Video perk that comes with Prime membership is now available to stream directly to the PS3.

Amazon

As I said, I didn't see this one coming at all. I was about to pull the trigger on a Roku or WD box so that I could stream AIV to my TV, but now there's no need.
I saw this today when I booted up the PS3 to put a DVD in for my son. I was like AAAWWWW YEAH! I use it a ton on the PC for my son since it has a ton of Caillou and other kids shows, so this is super awesome. I have Netflix, but just the Blu-Ray plan.

Amazon Prime is worth every stinkin' penny for me. Such an awesome service. It's sort of a trojan horse though, since it makes all other websites with slow shipping seem awful by comparison, and therefore Amazon sans Prime something I can't live without. And with the free streaming for members, that's icing on the cake.

Heck, I got my 35lb or so PC shipped overnight for $4. It usually is like $25 for most sellers and that's slow mail that could take a week or two. Amazon Prime FTW.

Last edited by Kelegacy; 04-03-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanthar View Post
I don't follow. The PS3 already has Vudu. What difference is there if Amazon VOD is added?
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
MagGnome

Amazon Prime is an evil thing. It's $40/year for a student (although I'm currently on the free student version, which has the shipping benefits but not the video stuff), and I've found myself using Amazon for a lot more shopping than I ever did before Prime. In fact I only ordered a few things on Amazon until I signed up for Prime back in January or so, and now I get most of my toiletries there as well as some books for school and other misc. items.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #20
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

But is it on Vita?
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote