welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > P&R Arena

Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Unites States - Intercity Rail (Amtrak)

The discussion as been brewing in the Republican Presidential thread about the possibilities of improvement of Amtrak beyond what it is today. Our current situation is that the publicly owned Amtrak runs passenger lines on a lot less track then USA passenger rails used to run on many decades ago. Ridership is up but so is the cost of operations. Amtrak must pay for every mile of track it runs its trains on to private track owners; namely CSX.

It is my opinion that Amtrak could be improved but it would take a considerable effort to overcome the following obstacles: None of the track the trains run on are publicly owned; Nearly all of the trains use diesel engines; It takes great effort for Amtrak to run on time due to the rails being shared by freight trains.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
MagGnome

The current system needs a lot of work, but high-speed passenger rail connecting major cities across the U.S. would be a great improvement to our infrastructure. As fuel costs increase the cost of driving or flying to another city is going to continue to go up. The U.S. is a large country, and connecting every dinky town with passenger rail would be silly, but I see no reason not to build high-speed rail between major populous centers such as Minneapolis to Chicago (and on to Ohio and Michigan), San Francisco to L.A., many parts of Florida, etc.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

*Atlas Shrugged reference*

Glad we have that out of the way. What America needs is to first develop a better mass transit infrastructure within the larger metropolitan areas. Inter-city distances are so large, that no train can ever be feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Khrymsyn
uhh... wait, huh?!

Send a message via AIM to Khrymsyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
*Atlas Shrugged reference*

Glad we have that out of the way. What America needs is to first develop a better mass transit infrastructure within the larger metropolitan areas. Inter-city distances are so large, that no train can ever be feasible.
I think it would highly depend on the speeds the train would be allowed to travel by and the area. For instance, Oklahoma City to Dallas, Texas to Houston, to San Antonio is about 4 hours each leg. If that could be reduced to 2 hours (say, for instance, HSR (High Speed Rails), that'd be a viable alternative to planes for business travel.

Or, take the "greater NY metropolis" area of Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Baltimore. You can practically take trains NOW from one end of that leg to the other, and it's definitely a better alternative to aircraft and car commute. Heck, at less than 5 hours away, you could include Pittsburgh in there and give them a bump. Richmond VA is less than 3 hours from DC, and Davidson NC is less than 5 hours from there. So just like the Texas/OK scenario, if you could get some HSRs in there, that'd work well.
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Zombies eat brains. Cannibals eat faces. Fine Young Cannibals drive me crazy.
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg, no, if the lovin's strong and you got it goin' on buy Schar: BSA on Xbox Indies or Desura.
Khrymsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Quote:
Cities are working on intracity infrastructures now. I'd like to focus on intercity though. The distances aren't so large to make trains unfeasible as it is currently being done. I don't follow what you are talking about.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Hemalin
Colonist

Pff, just go maglev.
Hemalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Kielaran
Needs to NaNo

This would be great. I hate flying (not flying itself, but all the hoops you have to jump through to do it anymore). It would be great to have a viable alternative and get some different competition going.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Cactaur
Is real mystery for sure.

Expect the same hoops to show up at train stations once TSA gets their grubby paws into it.
Cactaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemalin View Post
Pff, just go maglev.
German Rail is well on their way to MagLev.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactaur View Post
Expect the same hoops to show up at train stations once TSA gets their grubby paws into it.
What was most interesting about my trip to Germany in March was the difference in entering USA versus entering Germany/EU. Pretty eye opening... Security Theater? Absofuckinglutely.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
CES
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
What was most interesting about my trip to Germany in March was the difference in entering USA versus entering Germany/EU. Pretty eye opening... Security Theater? Absofuckinglutely.
Well I can safely state that I've been through more security in Europe than the US. The TSA put me through a metal detector, UKBA added in bomb and drug sniffers. Either I'm the most trustworthy looking guy in the world or the weakest.

There's a few serious hurdles to tackle for intercity US high speed rail, distance being the least of them. Maglev really isn't feasible in the large scale unless you want to fry every electronic/magnetically sensitive device a passenger carries and conventional high speed rail is extremely limited in speed due to its ability to tear the rail lines apart. There's also the cost, it's been budgeted in the past at around $100 million per mile. That's a tall order for a country that would rather see that kind of money sunk into maintaining the road infrastructure.
CES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by CES View Post
Well I can safely state that I've been through more security in Europe than the US. The TSA put me through a metal detector, UKBA added in bomb and drug sniffers. Either I'm the most trustworthy looking guy in the world or the weakest.
Wow... I went through nothing besides the initial screening at the Orlando airport on my way to the plane. Once I arrived in Germany I was asked 3 questions. On the way back, I got the same screening as when I left BUT I also received another similar screening once I arrived back at the Orlando airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CES View Post
There's a few serious hurdles to tackle for intercity US high speed rail, distance being the least of them. Maglev really isn't feasible in the large scale unless you want to fry every electronic/magnetically sensitive device a passenger carries and conventional high speed rail is extremely limited in speed due to its ability to tear the rail lines apart. There's also the cost, it's been budgeted in the past at around $100 million per mile. That's a tall order for a country that would rather see that kind of money sunk into maintaining the road infrastructure.
MagLev has some huge hurdles. I see you said that the country would rather sink that money into road infrastructure. I don't see this as an either/or situation. As much cash as the Federal Gov't here wastes on maintaining failed companies, providing golden parachutes and more or less wasting away millions on pet project... Gah... It is enough bullshit to make J Arcane batshit insane.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Quote:
Cities are working on intracity infrastructures now. I'd like to focus on intercity though. The distances aren't so large to make trains unfeasible as it is currently being done. I don't follow what you are talking about.
It would take years, if not decades, for a Metro like LA, or even Houston, to have a functional infrastructure. These cities were built around the automobile as you guys say, so I don't think it would be that easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Quote:
It would take years, if not decades, for a Metro like LA, or even Houston, to have a functional infrastructure. These cities were built around the automobile as you guys say, so I don't think it would be that easy!
You keep coming in talking about city public transport. This is a discussion about Amtrak and what can be done about that dinosaur.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
CES
Colonist

Quote:
Wow... I went through nothing besides the initial screening at the Orlando airport on my way to the plane. Once I arrived in Germany I was asked 3 questions. On the way back, I got the same screening as when I left BUT I also received another similar screening once I arrived back at the Orlando airport.
I like to think my Scottish accent confused the TSA enough that they waved me through.

Quote:
MagLev has some huge hurdles. I see you said that the country would rather sink that money into road infrastructure. I don't see this as an either/or situation. As much cash as the Federal Gov't here wastes on maintaining failed companies, providing golden parachutes and more or less wasting away millions on pet project... Gah... It is enough bullshit to make J Arcane batshit insane.
Here's the thing, which powerful corporation or group is willing to lobby in favour of the technology? Widespread maglev tech would result in the US having less need for oil (think about it, Seattle to Portland to Oakland or Dallas to Houston fairly quickly and without a car) and that will never sit well with the people in power (or the guys who fund it)
CES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
Vanthar
Colonist

Quote:
You keep coming in talking about city public transport. This is a discussion about Amtrak and what can be done about that dinosaur.
I believe the point is you need good intercity transit before intracity transit becomes useful.

Indianapolis for example is the 12th largest city in the country and has almost no public transit to speak of. The taxi system even sucks. Assuming a train from Chicago can get you outside or even decently inside the city, your only choice of transit is taxi because the city was designed around driving to your locations.
Vanthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanthar View Post
I believe the point is you need good intercity transit before intracity transit becomes useful.
Hmm... Agreed.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #18
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

I should take a train somewhere. A friend of mine rode the rails to San Antonio to visit his family. Said it was surprisingly enjoyable.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielaran View Post
This would be great. I hate flying (not flying itself, but all the hoops you have to jump through to do it anymore). It would be great to have a viable alternative and get some different competition going.
Being able to travel longer distances with my toiletries would be really nice, you hear that TSA? I usually end up checking a bag when I fly, even though a lot of airlines charge for even a single checked bag now. Honestly flying is such a hassle, from the cost and all of the fees, to being crammed in a sardine can with other human beings several thousand feet up in the air. I've had a few flights that weren't bad, but I've had some that were pretty awful.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgoodwin View Post
I should take a train somewhere. A friend of mine rode the rails to San Antonio to visit his family. Said it was surprisingly enjoyable.
Train is a really good option for single person travel.

Past that, and you start to realize how the cost of gas gets split among all the passengers in a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDon View Post
I love you, Orc.
TheFlyingOrc is offline   Reply With Quote