welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic Machine View Post
When I went to the book signing for A Feast For Crows, he claimed that A Dance With Dragons was made primarily of the content he had to cut from Feast due to it's massive size, and that it would be available the following year.
Heck, even the "author's note" at the end of Feast mentions that he just divided the 2 books up...
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #22
Bone
Terribad at game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualshotty23 View Post
Shitty because I already tried to read the first and it couldn't get my attention at all.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
Bummer. I mean, you'll be OK, but I will say one time that you're missing out

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urizen View Post
Ouch, but that makes sense given the material more than anything, I think.

'Dance' and 'Feast' were a planning and logistical nightmare, and now characters are starting to be pulled back from Essos. I wouldn't put too much money on it, but I'd be disappointed if 'Winds' doesn't come out by 2014.
I think the story is getting more complicated, not less, so I'd say we're going to be waiting quite a while.
Follow me on Twitter!
Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

Send a message via AIM to maharahaj
Man, did the actor who plays Bran age over the past year. He no longer looks like a child.

I enjoyed the episode a lot, though I did expect it to be a re-introduction to the main characters with little advancement in the plot as it did in fact play out. There is so much going on; I hope they can properly devote the time to each storyline that is required.

Oh, I didn't find the Melisandra character to be as dark as I anticipated. Craster was a lot more civilized than I anticipated as well.

Davos and Stannis are excellently cast!
maharahaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #25
Lance Uppercut
hurf durf

Well, that was a pretty good episode. Seems like they made the Lannister twins more sympathetic; Jamie is actually scared, and Cersei has realized she has no control over the monster she had created in Joffrey.

Littlefinger calling Cersei out about the incest seems pretty out of character for him; that little incident nearly got him killed.

Also, nice to see the increasing production values. Looks like we may actually see full-scale battles and more of the animals (dragons, dire wolves) this season.
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #26
LarsenNET
Colonist

I'm about 1/3 of the way through book 2. A few scenes either didn't happen or I just haven't gotten there yet.

Talk between Robb & Jamie, Littlefinger calling out Cersei, the scene with Jon Snow in the camp with the guy marrying his daughters. The bastard killings...I must not be that far yet.

I was surprised at how little attention Arya got but I'm sure that will come. Lots of awesome Tyrion dialog with Cersei was omitted but I suppose that could come later. I don't believe Varys had any screen time and he is featured a lot in the book. Tons more but don't want to spoil.
LarsenNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #27
Hyperglide
Nihilistic Malcontent

This show surpassed Dexter as my fave show on TV. The Premiere last night was GOT-ly. Ugh.. bad pun..

Live Gamertag: Hyperglide
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V, Diablo III.
True Achievements: Hyperglide
Battle.net - Diablo III - Battletag. Add Me: Hyperglide#1704 (Americas)
Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #28
Kielaran
Needs to NaNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsenNET View Post
I'm about 1/3 of the way through book 2. A few scenes either didn't happen or I just haven't gotten there yet.

Talk between Robb & Jamie, Littlefinger calling out Cersei, the scene with Jon Snow in the camp with the guy marrying his daughters. The bastard killings...I must not be that far yet.

I was surprised at how little attention Arya got but I'm sure that will come. Lots of awesome Tyrion dialog with Cersei was omitted but I suppose that could come later. I don't believe Varys had any screen time and he is featured a lot in the book. Tons more but don't want to spoil.
Varys was at the small council when Tyrion informs them that he is the interim Hand. Still it was inconsequential overall.

I didn't like the Littlefinger scene. As others noted, it felt wrong for his character. I wonder though if the point of that scene was to show the child scrubbing the floor there.

The Joffery and Cersei scene was modiocre too. Trying to shove it in there without much around it makes you almost feel bad for her, even though you really shouldn't at all.

It is good to see the creatures looking good. The dragon still looked great and the dire wolf, my god the direwolf. I was really afraid that they would not do it justice, but I was wrong. Hopefully we will see Ghost soon too.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #29
Vermillion
I am turtling incarnate!

Send a message via MSN to Vermillion
So much content in one hour. Took me a second to realize who was on the beach. So many characters to keep up with.

Dire wolf was sexy.

The slaughtering of the bastards made me sad.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #30
Bone
Terribad at game

I agree, the episodes keep feeling longer than an hour (in a good way). Lots of stuff packed into each conversation. I liked the new conversations myself, even Littlefinger's slip with Cersei. Joffrey and Cersei was note perfect for me, even if it was a new conversation. That moment when she realized she wasn't fully in control really told viewers a lot that readers would know but would take much longer to communicate.

And Jamie, too... the direwolf scared the shit out of him. Which made sense because that thing was awesome.

I like that Jamie and Cersei are getting softened a little bit actually, just makes everything a lot more grey. Except Joffrey, always evil as shit. He's a great actor (or just a real little shit!).

Lastly, I liked Mormont chastising Jon, and Craster was creepy too (even if a little more "clean" than I pictured him). The daughter/wives introduction was suitably gross.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #31
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

Just watched the first episode of season 2 and...meh. They're straying too far from the books for my liking and it sounds like that's only going to become more true as the series goes on.

The episode itself was completely underwhelming. A whole hour and nothing worth mentioning happened. It's not like they have an abundance of time. They're trying to cram a complex series of books into a TV show with extremely short seasons. They need to get a move on.
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #32
Bone
Terribad at game

Whereas 10 people in my living room wondered if the premiere was 1.5 hrs long, so much was happening (at least dialogue wise). Different strokes I guess. IMO they aren't straying from the books in spirit, at all... just creating more concise ways to deliver plot points/concepts that could take 4 chapters in the book.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #33
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

I didn't dislike it as such...it was just a complete non-event IMO. I think when the second episode comes out, nobody would notice if they skipped the first one.
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #34
Narradisall
Cookies

Damn, I can't even remember what happened at the start of clash.... and I only read it last year.

I can't watch the show till tomorrow though, bah.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #35
Bone
Terribad at game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScreams View Post
I didn't dislike it as such...it was just a complete non-event IMO. I think when the second episode comes out, nobody would notice if they skipped the first one.
Guess we completely disagree then. I was transfixed. Dany sent out her bloodriders so they don't all die on the trail. Night's Watch met Craster and his daughterwives. Jamie is in deep shit and Robb is gaining strength as a king and military commander. King's Landing... Cersei exerts her power one moment only to find it waning the next. Tyrion is loving his new job. Bran is becoming a little master in his own right. Stannis, Davos, and Melisandre... that's a whole new set of characters and plots!!

I don't see how you could go further into season 2 without establishing all of this, and now the playing field is established.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #36
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

This is the episode they had to do. They needed to remind folks where the major players were at the end of season 1 and introduce the new characters in 2. Nothing happened because the whole episode was packed with that sort of necessary housekeeping (just compare the length of the opening with the length last year to see how many more characters there are)
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #37
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

It was great. Some new scenes vs the books, but they felt fine in there, especially the Cersei and Joff scene about the rumor. Makes sense.

Must read the books!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #38
bapenguin
Community Relations

I enjoyed most of it. Really packed with content. Setting up lots of story lines. Only thing I missed was more Arya.
Community Relations : Colony of Gamers
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #39
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Yeah, I would've liked to have seen more Arya for sure, but I'm not disappointed in the least by anything we got.

And Peter Dinklage is a goddamned national treasure. Just give him all the Emmys right now. All of them.
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there. </Whore>
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #40
Lance Uppercut
hurf durf

Tyrion was my favorite character last season, and the last episode just served to reinforce that belief. The guy was born for this role.
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote