welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Krater Pre-Alpha Key Giveaway!

Developer Fatshark, creators of the upcoming RPG Krater have given us a bunch of keys for the pre-alpha build of their game. And we're giving them away. Want one? Just tell us what your perfect game would be. If you had unlimited funds and unlimited creative resources, what game would you make?
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Iron Past
Clem - shhh.

A war game where there's a huge map-based overworld, but I can zoom in and manage each part individualy, down to the city level, but also manage some stuff on the macro level. Each city would be it's own city sim, with everything happening simultaneously and things like army placement and combat happening all the time, with long drawn out battles instead of short little affairs and gameplay similar an RTS.

Doesn't sound anything like Krater, but I like free stuff.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

I don't want a key since I'm not a top-down RPG kind of guy, but I DID think of this (inspired by Peter Molydeux):

A successful businessman, after a long day of work, reaches into his pocket for his car keys. Instead, he finds a small family living in his pants pocket who have been driven out of their own home due to the businessman's greedy practices. You play as the pocket.
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

A FPS that instills the same sense of danger that old 2D side-scrollers used to do to me. Still when I play them, I sometime do that thing where I jump with the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Half-life 2: Episode 3 released two years ago.
TheKeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

I've shared this idea before, but it still hasn't been made, so here it is again:

A multiplayer chase game between a cop and a criminal. Picture one of numerous on-foot pursuits in crime movies, where the characters push through crowded streets, run through apartments, jump between buildings, etc. The setting is a sandbox-style city where the criminal has a goal to reach, and the cop either has to catch the criminal or deduce the goal and get there first.

Take Mirror's Edge/Assassin's Creed-style free-running and environment navigation, and give each character abilities they can use to either close or lengthen the gap between them. The cop can turn on an Arkham Asylum-style detective vision, call in backup, flash his badge at civilians, contact a police helicopter. The criminal can fire a gun to panic a crowd, take a hostage, blend into a crowd.

Different characters would have different skills and abilities. Cop characters would include street cop, detective, private eye, etc. Criminals would include bank robber, escaped convict, serial killer, etc.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Spigot
Turn Me

I want a game with the crazy narratives of the Persona series but with the combat and dungeon crawling removed. All social links, all the time. I think those kind of games are called Visual Novels or Adventure Games.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
I want a game with the crazy narratives of the Persona series but with the combat and dungeon crawling removed. All social links, all the time. I think those kind of games are called Visual Novels or Adventure Games.
I'd like to see more games that explore social interactions, but the way Japanese games usually do it is more like reading a really boring novel with very occasional choose-your-own-adventure prompts.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Grifter
Cognified

Perfect game...

Battlefield 3 + Mass Effect 3/The Witcher 2 + Free Space = Super character driven, story focused action Sci-Fi RPG perfection with insane graphics and destructible environments on the ground and in space.

All About Martial Arts
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Mass Effect isometric Turn-based RPG game, but with all the powers from the game intact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
jpublic
Threadslayer

Here's *two* ideas:

1) The PC is an immortal, that can only be active for a short time every few (hundred, thousand?) years. He's actually come back from the future, where some sort of Chtuluesque horror has destoryed humany/the universe/everything. He's got to guide things through various *personal* interventions during his active periods so that the horror can be defeated.

However, there's a twists - in evey game, the 'enemy' is of a different fundamental nature (as many as the developer can come up with), and you get clues through messages from the future and visions/predicitions of the people you're manipulating of it's nature, so you can influence the culture/people accordingly.

And *how* you do it is up to you - do you come in as a messianistic figure and start a religion? Do you introduce technologies? Do you assassinate problematic figures? Do you start a secret society to sublty work your agenda behind the scenes?

Every time the character wakes up he not only has to deal with the fallout from his last interactions, he has to perform new ones based on the clues to get this back on track, or to an entirely new one.

2) *Any* sort of storyline you want to come up with, the key is the morality system in this one. Instead of being something binary like Bioware's or the self-contradictory Avatar of Ultima, the player during his adventures will eventually become an exemplar/hero of *some* philosophy - so each choice he makes can be different, leading him to being an Avatar-like figure for that philosophy.

These choices will not only determine the ending, but how the story goes, as in being true to his philosophy the character's choices will have major impacts - who he lets live, who he kills, who he helps, and who he leaves. It also could (conceivably) provide mystical (or some other nature) powers or skills on the player that fits with the philosophy.

I envision the game ending with the character becoming a godlike/religious figure influencing the people of the lands/worlds for all time.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Panthera
ANUSTART

Rabbits.

A game about a warren of rabbits, with all the depth of Dwarf Fortress and graphical splendour of the UT3 engine.

Set on Mars.

"Then it is also your fate to be beaten," said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
MagGnome

I would develop a deep simulation game wherein you build a fortress/city/empire, gradually expanding out to a larger and larger level, managing resources, building and providing for your citizens, creating defenses, fighting wars, researching technology, etc. Something akin to Dwarf Fortress combined with Sim City and Civilization. I've spent hundreds of hours with these three games, so seeing elements from each mixed together would probably be my ultimate game.

Last edited by MagGnome; 03-28-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Rabbits.

A game about a warren of rabbits, with all the depth of Dwarf Fortress and graphical splendour of the UT3 engine.

Set on Mars.
I would totally play that.

I also love how we mentioned Dwarf Fortress* in two concurrent posts.

*Technically three now!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
Grifter
Cognified

I'd also really like to see a magic The Gathering game where instead of just playing the cards all the characters, abilities and artifacts are fully modeled and animated on a fully realized battlefield using the newest Crytek engine with physics and destructible environments.

All About Martial Arts
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
Spigot
Turn Me

jpublic, your second idea sounds a lot like how The Witcher handles morality. Lots of grey and the outcome isn't often very obvious.
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #17
mesh
Colonist

unlimited funds and unlimited creative resources? how bout a hard light hologram system that reads your mind and immerses you in any universe you choose.
mesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
bean
Banned

I'd like a long-form survival horror game set in the zombie apocalypse that has both FPS-action elements, resource management, and people management (think Bioware conversation trees but with more chances to burn bridges. . . you can also talk them around, but you aren't just talking them to provide story exposition, what you say to them can drive them off or cause them to become a better member of the group).

There's a game in development (Dead State) that does some of this but it's a top-down RPG and I'd prefer FPS.

Last edited by bean; 03-28-2012 at 10:51 AM.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
bean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
unlimited funds and unlimited creative resources? how bout a hard light hologram system that reads your mind and immerses you in any universe you choose.
Come here you dirty, dirty space whores.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I would develop a deep simulation game wherein you build a fortress/city/empire, gradually expanding out to a larger and larger level, managing resources, building and providing for your citizens, creating defenses, fighting wars, researching technology, etc. Something akin to Dwarf Fortress combined with Sim City and Civilization. I've spent hundreds of hours with these three games, so seeing elements from each mixed together would probably be my ultimate game.
I could definitely get into a medieval kingdom simulator that's a sandbox more than it is a mission-based game. Where you take on the role of a small-time landowner, maybe the mayor of a village, but over time you can build it up and play politics until you're a monarch.