welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
Caped Crusader
BAM! POW! ETC!

Prototype 2

I couldn't find a thread about this, so I am starting this one.

The gameplay here looks great.

Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Farsight
DON'T FIGHT IT!

Loved the first one. Definite buy.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Kelegacy
All Around Nice Guy

Never finished the first. I would always start the game up, think it was so great and wonder why I stepped away from it last time, and then wind up stepping away from it again once the initial awesome wore off.

I should go back to it and see if I can finish the thing.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Narradisall
Cookies

I ended up hating the first one, late game it got riddled with 'cheap tactics' to balance you being a powerball and the last boss was nigh impossible if you didn't have the 'right' abilities developed enough.

I'll be interested to see if they improve the second, but it's a definate wait and see for me. Looking awesome and powerful is great in trailers, managing it well in gameplay is another matter.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
jpublic
Threadslayer

I'm with Narradisall.

I really wanted to enjoy Prototype, and I did, for maybe the first third. But later on in the game, when the difficulty ramps up WAAAAY higher than your power level does, I just got completely irritated with it to the extent of never wanting to play it again, EVER.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Kielaran
Needs to NaNo

I enjoyed the last one, even if the last boss was an SOB. I will be waiting for this to hit the bargain bins. The last one didn't sell extremely well if I remember correctly and dropped in price fast. Plus having no online portion means that there is not advantage to have it day one.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Caped Crusader
BAM! POW! ETC!

Love the slow-mo Wolverine claw lunge.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
Zecon
Colonist

Damn that looks fun.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
aVaKus
keepin' it classy

Send a message via AIM to aVaKus
Did anyone pick this up?

Gamertag: aVaKu5
PSN: aVaKus
Steam: aVaKus
3DS Friend Code: 2836-0087-4693
Nintendo ID: aVaKus3

It Gets Better
aVaKus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Narradisall
Cookies

I believe Farsight said he is playing it in the other thread.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Vandabo
Guise srsly

I liked the first for the most part, but ended up stopping just before the end. I don't even think I tried the last boss, and it sounds like I dodged a bullet there. If I still had gamefly I might have gotten this, but now it probably won't happen until it comes out on PC and I can get it for cheap.

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
I'm with Narradisall.

I really wanted to enjoy Prototype, and I did, for maybe the first third. But later on in the game, when the difficulty ramps up WAAAAY higher than your power level does, I just got completely irritated with it to the extent of never wanting to play it again, EVER.
This is when I said "no FUCK YOU game, fuck you." And walked away. I also said fuck you to the franchise, and the development team. I shan't be burned again. The best they will ever get from me again is a rental from Red Box.

The only good reason I have ever been given by people who like the game is it a game you can just run around in and create havoc in. I cannot justify paying $60 for a good off game that annoys the shit out of me later on. That game was a game patently designed for the bargain bin.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
Caped Crusader
BAM! POW! ETC!

It always impresses me how intensely people can dislike games or movies or any form of entertainment without experiencing it first hand. Or if they do experience it first hand and don't enjoy it, I am often taken aback with how much they reviled the experience. I guess personally it is just rare that I have endeavored to to take part in something I expected to enjoy, and then was offended by it to the point of disgust. Not that it doesn't happen, but I am just surprised by how frequently it seems to happen to other people on the internet. Obviously it is all subjective, but what is the point of ripping on something you haven't experienced among a group of people who are excited about it?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Watched the gt trailer review. Gonna pass until this hits the bargain bin and my backlog doesn't have what I'm feeling like playing. Enjoy guys!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
Narradisall
Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caped Crusader View Post
It always impresses me how intensely people can dislike games or movies or any form of entertainment without experiencing it first hand. Or if they do experience it first hand and don't enjoy it, I am often taken aback with how much they reviled the experience. I guess personally it is just rare that I have endeavored to to take part in something I expected to enjoy, and then was offended by it to the point of disgust. Not that it doesn't happen, but I am just surprised by how frequently it seems to happen to other people on the internet. Obviously it is all subjective, but what is the point of ripping on something you haven't experienced among a group of people who are excited about it?
I'm confused, since everyone in this thread is basing their opinions on having played the first one. Or do you mean experiencing the second one. Most of us our basing our opinions on having played the first, and expecting a similar experience from the second, being the sequel, and made by the same dev. Plus I would hardly say we are hating it to the point of disgust. You seem to be drawing a lot of conclusions from the few posts on this thread.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Yeah, I agree, the negativity in this thread is from we who got burned on the first game. So naturally we are skeptical about the second game. And with reviews that say right out that Prototype 2 is just like the first, right down to the repetitive mission structure, that just makes me extra apprehensive.

I will be fair and rent this from Red Box. Just don't be surprised if I come back here and go "Meh."

Also, pay no attention to the deleted post behind the curtain!

Old 04-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
Caped Crusader
BAM! POW! ETC!

I am speaking (typing?) in generalities. You are more than welcome to your opinion. I am not saying anyone is wrong or that their opinion is invalid. You didn't enjoy the first one, so you are less than excited about the second one. That is perfectly reasonable. I am saying that it is disheartening, in general, that so many people have been so utterly let down by things that they become, or at least appear to me to become, jaded and cynical. That is just what I have gleamed from my own personal experience.
As far as this game is concerned, I picked it up and played for a few hours last night. A lot of things have been improved and fleshed out and I am impressed with it. Fighting groups of enemies is much more rewarding. I have only unlocked the claws and the tendrils so far, but they are both very impressive, even at low levels. The stealth consume stuff is a lot less clumsy. The package as a whole feels tighter. Like this is the game they meant to release when they released Prototype.
However, if you didn't enjoy the first one, I doubt any of the changes would be significant enough change your mind this time around, as it is more of gliding around and murdering shit to death over and over again.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

It's like this: if you went into a pizza place, and the pizza tasted like crap, and made you sick, you'd reasonably never go there again, let alone buy another. You would warn all your friends away from that pizza place as well.

The same logic goes for games. When you play a game that doesn't settle well with you, and you hear the second is not much different than the first, then it's only natural for someone be wary of it.

But like I said, I will rent it. Developers can and do fix the sins of the past. I'm just not getting my hopes up or buying into the hype.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Caped Crusader
BAM! POW! ETC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
It's like this: if you went into a pizza place, and the pizza tasted like crap, and made you sick, you'd reasonably never go there again, let alone buy another. You would warn all your friends away from that pizza place as well.

The same logic goes for games. When you play a game that doesn't settle well with you, and you hear the second is not much different than the first, then it's only natural for someone be wary of it.

But like I said, I will rent it. Developers can and do fix the sins of the past. I'm just not getting my hopes up or buying into the hype.
Sure. Naturally you would be less inclined to dine there again, but there are a lot of people who enjoyed that pizza you hated so much, and it saddens me to think that that pizza dissatisfied you so greatly, that the next time someone tells you about a restaurant that is supposed to be really good, you don't try it because you have learned "not to believe the hype."
Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caped Crusader View Post
Sure. Naturally you would be less inclined to dine there again, but there are a lot of people who enjoyed that pizza you hated so much, and it saddens me to think that that pizza dissatisfied you so greatly, that the next time someone tells you about a restaurant that is supposed to be really good, you don't try it because you have learned "not to believe the hype."
So... what part of "I will rent it from Red Box" did you not understand? I will rent it, try it, and we will see. And in this case the hype is not any different from the first. In fact, everyone is saying the game is almost no different from the first, just slightly better. So either I will be okay with it, or it will make me slightly less sick. Only time will tell.

Also, if I didn't learn to not be sucked in by the hype, I'd be buying a lot of crap games.