welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Actually Asus and Acer announced 1200p tablets during CES. Why can't I have those screens!

EDIT: Wait, it's 16:9? So iphone apps can look extra-terrible now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.

Last edited by muddi900; 03-07-2012 at 03:12 PM.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
Actually Asus and Acer announced 1200p tablets during CES. Why can't I have those screens!

EDIT: Wait, it's 16:9? So iphone apps can look extra-terrible now?
No, that's 4:3 - 2048x1536
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Somebody said something about new form factor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
EternalGamer
Colonist

I have tried to order one for the last hour from apple.com but the damn store keeps crashing.

I have an Ipad 1 and it has been the best electronic device I've ever owned. That's no exageration. I sold my netbook, DS and PSP because I never used any of them after I got an Ipad and I used it more than all of them combined. Best device for surfing the net, hands down. I use it for lectures at the podium, typing notes for papers I am working on, e-mail, watching Netflix while I jog on a treadmill, listening to podcasts when I bike in to work etc. I've used a tablet my friend has and have played around with others in stores like Best Buy. They feel like shit in comparison in terms of responsiveness and lag. First Apple device I've ever owned, so I'm definitely not part of the cult, but I have been so impressed with it that I would never ever even consider buying one of the cheap (or expensive) knock offs.

Then again, I am a hipster communist who lives in China, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Last edited by EternalGamer; 03-07-2012 at 04:06 PM.
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
EternalGamer
Colonist

Finally got through the store. It took me nearly an hour and half before I got through w/o anything breaking.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #26
Urizen
Colonist

I'm afraid, like many others, Apple has me by the short and curlies now that I've invested so much into iTunes and their App Store. That's now the biggest hurdle keeping me from jumping to a competitor.

The first "Oh crap" moment I had with the iPad where I felt I was doing something I could never do on a PC was during the Islamic month of Ramadan. I go the the mosque every night during that month for special prayers where we follow behind in prayer as someone recites the entire Quran. Some people hold a Quran in their hands to follow along, but my Arabic being awful, I can't keep up.

There's an iPad that will listen to your recitation of the Quran and highlight the verse your are on. I am able to follow so much more of the Scripture in prayer, instead of zoning out during the long passages. And with a simple swipe, I can follow the translation to the recitation.

The iPad is in a small way making me a better Muslim. Clearly, the terrorists, communists, cult followers and hipsters have won.

Any thoughts on which network has the best data package for a 4G iPad?
Urizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

New iPad is heavier, but has brighter screen and better camera? Not enough for me to upgrade from iPad2. I'll wait till something extra is added before upgrading.
OldJadedGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
Camel
The Dude abides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urizen View Post
It looks like my iPad 2, which is still under warranty, might have itself an unfortunate accident.
Would they replace it with the newer version, or just another iPad2?

Mine is still under warranty as well, and already has a nice crack in the bottom corner. I'll be taking it to get replaced at some point either way, but it would be kind of awesome (but unexpected) to get a free upgrade.
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

I heard a rumor that Apple is going to make a cheaper/smaller economy version of the iPad. Is this true?

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie_619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #30
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Quote:
Any thoughts on which network has the best data package for a 4G iPad?
4G LTE is more widely available to Verizon - however, AT&T is starting to grow their LTE network out. Depends on where you live, but for nationwide coverage, Verizon wins right now.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #31
Urizen
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
Would they replace it with the newer version, or just another iPad2?

Mine is still under warranty as well, and already has a nice crack in the bottom corner. I'll be taking it to get replaced at some point either way, but it would be kind of awesome (but unexpected) to get a free upgrade.
When I was getting mine, the salesman at Best Buy was trying to sell me on their accident replacement plan. He told me someone had come in with their iPad in two pieces, they looked up warranty, and had to give him a comparable iPad 2 because they weren't carrying the original iPad any more and didn't have them in stock. So, he brought in a broken 32GB 3G iPad and left with a 32GB 3G iPad 2 without having to pay another cent.

Mine actually has a dead pixel, so I can take it in anytime. I just figure I'll wait until I can get the new one.
Urizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer View Post
New iPad is heavier, but has brighter screen and better camera? Not enough for me to upgrade from iPad2. I'll wait till something extra is added before upgrading.
I wouldn't upgrade if I had an Ipad 2, but it also has a quadcore processor, better touch tech, and will apparently work with Siri.

I'm not sure if Siri is going to be pushed to all IOS devices, but it looks like a kind of cool application.

I'm mainly excited for the nicer screen and battery life. My Ipad 1 is finally getting to the point where it takes a long time to charge and drains faster and the screen, while not cracked, has a significant number of minor scratches.

I'm lucky it still works as well as it does because I've abused the hell out of it. I've dropped it at least half dozen times. I've accidentally left it to bake in a car in 100 degree weather, etc. But it still works great. The only sign of wear it has is that it seems to crash out of the web broswer more often than it used to, but I think part of that is because I simply don't power it off or reset it often enough.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #33
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
When I was getting mine, the salesman at Best Buy was trying to sell me on their accident replacement plan. He told me someone had come in with their iPad in two pieces, they looked up warranty, and had to give him a comparable iPad 2 because they weren't carrying the original iPad any more and didn't have them in stock. So, he brought in a broken 32GB 3G iPad and left with a 32GB 3G iPad 2 without having to pay another cent.

Mine actually has a dead pixel, so I can take it in anytime. I just figure I'll wait until I can get the new one.
Yeah but you are forgetting the Ipad 2s are not being discontinued. They are just being dropped in price $100 and will become a value line to compete with stuff like the Kindle Fire.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #34
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
I heard a rumor that Apple is going to make a cheaper/smaller economy version of the iPad. Is this true?
The rumor is they are going to release it this fall. It will have a screen akin to the size of a Kindle.

I love my big beautiful Ipad screen. Netflix on it is great.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #35
Vanthar
Colonist

Here are the wireless plans for those interested in a 4G model this time.

Engadget
Vanthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #36
EternalGamer
Colonist

I was tempted to get the 4G Ipad w/ the cheapest ATT plan since I don't have a smart phone of any sort.

But really, I thought about how often I am somewhere without a wifi connection and it simply isn't that common. Most of the places I go (campus, bars, restaraunts) have WiFi networks. I thought about just buying the 4G model "just in case" and not activating a plan on it, but an extra $120 was too much for a "just in case." My 16GB Wifi Ipad 1 has done me just fine as I'm sure will this new one.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #37
Vanthar
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
I was tempted to get the 4G Ipad w/ the cheapest ATT plan since I don't have a smart phone of any sort.

But really, I thought about how often I am somewhere without a wifi connection and it simply isn't that common. Most of the places I go (campus, bars, restaraunts) have WiFi networks. I thought about just buying the 4G model "just in case" and not activating a plan on it, but an extra $120 was too much for a "just in case." My 16GB Wifi Ipad 1 has done me just fine as I'm sure will this new one.
I've always felt the same when there were 3G models, but the 4G speeds will definitely be better than the wifi networks at a number of places I frequent. It's an expensive addon though, and I'm struggling to decide if it's worth it.
Vanthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #38
Inverarity
Geek of all trades

I'm dithering about getting the 4G model as well, because (assuming this generation works like the previous ones) only the models with wireless get a full-blown GPS receiver. I'd really like to have that for use in the car- there are some really nice software packages that integrate both an OBD-II diagnostic connection to your car and GPS. That, more than the occasional non-wifi networking, might make it worthwhile.

I'll also be getting a 64GB model, because experience with a 32GB original has taught me that I'm a packrat when it comes to apps and data. Over the course of two years with the thing, I'll easily save $100 of my time by not having to manage the storage as often.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #39
EternalGamer
Colonist

I'm just the opposite in terms of storage. The 16GB version has been more than enough for me. In fact, only one time in nearly 2 years did I bother to clear some stuff off.

I don't listen to a lot of music, though, mainly podcast, which I set to automatically replace old ones. I do have a number of games, but most of them are small. I can easily fit 5 or 6 music albums, 20 or so games and a dozen or so podcasts on the 16GB and still have plenty of room. I just set it to only sync podcasts and I'm good to go.

With increased trends in cloud storage and streaming, I imagine I'll need even less storage in the future rather than more.

Last edited by EternalGamer; 03-07-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #40
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
The rumor is they are going to release it this fall. It will have a screen akin to the size of a Kindle.

I love my big beautiful Ipad screen. Netflix on it is great.
Ah, so they are trying to compete directly with the Kindle. Amazon had better open up the Kindle to all Android apps and the Android store. Otherwise They could be losing sales to a similar product that's not limited to half the apps you can get.

Of course if you root your Fire and install those apps yourself the point is moot. But the people that buy iPod/iPad's aren't the types that want to have to work to get access to the things they want. They just want to turn the device on and go have fun.

Hell the only reason I picked the Fire is because it was cheaper and comparable to the iPad.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie_619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote