Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

Paradox Announces Three New Titles [GDC2012]

Dungeonland

Quote:
A theme park is a magical place reserved only for children, right? Wrong. DEAD wrong. Dungeonland redefines the idea of having “fun” in a fantasy theme park as it attempts to entrap your heroes and let them line up for their demise. Playing as the Rogue, the Warrior, or the Mage, heroes will adventure in a classic co-op dungeon crawl, with a sinister twist: three players can play as the daring heroes, while a fourth takes on the role of Dungeonland’s Game Master, using a pool of traps and monsters to annihilate their unwelcome guests! Featuring hero customization, looting and dozens of items, Dungeonland is an amoral, atypical take on asymmetric gameplay.
I'm always intrigued by the idea of asymmetric game play, let's see how this turns out. I can't wait to check it out.

The Showdown Effect

Quote:
Created by Arrowhead Game Studios, the same brilliant and eccentric minds behind Magicka, The Showdown Effect is a 2.5D multiplayer action game in which players will be participating in death-matches to gain glory and fame. Formerly known as “Project JFK,” The Showdown Effect operates on the principle of “more is more” and offers an infinite amount of ways to customize your gameplay. Whether its character, stage, game mode, or weapons, customize as much as you want and control how creatively you want to kill your friends! Remember, the gorier it is, the better the showdown you will have!
Crazy shooting action with some trademark Magicka type humor? Sign me up.

RED Frontier

Quote:
RED Frontier takes players to the final...well, “frontier”… for a new style of competitive RTS gaming! Would-be commanders will choose their sci-fi heroes and fight strategically alongside teammates and droids in a struggle for resources. On the battlefield, players will have an arsenal of combat droids, vehicles, and ingenious abilities ranging from deployable machine gun turrets and minefields to repair nanoids and orbital rocket strikes. Arsenals are constantly being refilled as fellow commanders respawn instantly and are immediately allowed to re-enter the battlefield after being eliminated. Prevail and celebrate your victory with your teammates in the arena!
This looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully we learn more soon.
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Akion-Totocha
Useless Input

The more I read of this article, the better it gets!
Akion-Totocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akion-Totocha View Post
The more I read of this article, the better it gets!
It certainly goes on for three whole trailers!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Spectre-7
A dandy guy in space...

Liking the concept of Dungeonland and the humor of the trailer works for me, but the gameplay itself looks a bit off. I'll keep an eye on it in hopes that it shapes up as it nears release.

Meanwhile, The Showdown Effect was exactly the opposite: the description was making me snooze, and the peripheral stuff in the trailer wasn't really catching my attention, but the gameplay looked inexplicably awesome. I have no idea what it was about it specifically, but the lizard part of my brain hissed something about wanting to play it right now.
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
Spectre-7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Hawkzombie
Undead Avian of Canada

Dungeonland is a must have for me.
PSN/Steam ID/BNet Tag - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie/HawkZombie#1136

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
CappinCanuck
Cappin flags since 1990.

Send a message via MSN to CappinCanuck
Showdown gameplay looks fantastic. Dungeonland humour was good, not entirely sure of the gameplay... looks like it might get old within half an hour.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappinCanuck View Post
Showdown gameplay looks fantastic. Dungeonland humour was good, not entirely sure of the gameplay... looks like it might get old within half an hour.
It's a dungeon crawl, but one of the players gets to play the dungeon basically. Sounds pretty great to me. Hopefully it pans out.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Hawkzombie
Undead Avian of Canada

Yeah, playing the bad guy in tht sort of situation could be a lot of fun, actually.

I wonder if it'll be a set it and let them play sort of setting, a react as they progress, or a combo of the two...
PSN/Steam ID/BNet Tag - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie/HawkZombie#1136

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
Deadend
Done

Send a message via AIM to Deadend
Dungeonland's success will really come down to how easy it is to be the DM and how it is balanced. As it could be super complex, making it hard to get into, and it could be unbalanced favoring the DM or the players too much.

I'm hoping it would play a bit like a real-time version of the board game Descent.
Deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

I thought I read that Paradox were in financial trouble. Apparently not. All three games look interesting, the first two especially.
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

"He's an inspiration to all of us." - Game Publishers Assosciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is online now   Reply With Quote