welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #301
Cactaur
Is real mystery for sure.

Comes with the set. Proprietary head. The usb side is standard but longer and keyed so you can't plug normal usb cables into the sony ac adapter. Output is 1.5a so its way above USB spec, even above the ipad adapter's 1a.
Cactaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #302
MagGnome

I wish everyone would just use standard USB connectors. Finding those special cables can be a pain.

I won't go on about it for 10 posts though, I promise.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #303
rein
TEAM BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer View Post
It makes me bummed since MS doesn't have any original ideas and steals the vast majority of their shitty ideas from their competitors so if this takes off we will see a gimped next gen system from both MS and Sony.
I understand your point about games not booting without a memory card but I would argue the 360 Core system or any of the other cd based systems were just as gimped. Who is really going to put any time with a game that can't be saved? As for copying bad habits, I think Sony is going back to system specific proprietary storage after seeing the profits Microsoft was able to make on proprietary hard drives.

IMO, I think Sony should have offered a small amount of memory on the Vita but they didn't. As a consumer it is up to me to decide if I can live with their choice or purchase something else with my money. My plan for now is to wait for another memory stick/bundle deal.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #304
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
I understand your point about games not booting without a memory card but I would argue the 360 Core system or any of the other cd based systems were just as gimped. Who is really going to put any time with a game that can't be saved? As for copying bad habits, I think Sony is going back to system specific proprietary storage after seeing the profits Microsoft was able to make on proprietary hard drives.

IMO, I think Sony should have offered a small amount of memory on the Vita but they didn't. As a consumer it is up to me to decide if I can live with their choice or purchase something else with my money. My plan for now is to wait for another memory stick/bundle deal.
Sony wasn't copying MS, they were copying themselves. Had they had the tech at the time to make PS1 and PS2 cards proprietary, they would have but other cheaper third parties were able to make knock offs. Sony still charges $25 dollars for 8megs of memory 11 years after the PS2 was released. MS only copied Sony with the external HDD and memory cards. They saw the success of PS2 and copied that business model. At the time of the 360 launch, they had no clue the PS3 would have open memory and again, since MS doesn't have any original ideas and only copies their competitors it shows that the 360 is just a more advanced PS2 model.

And said a million times already but no other system couldn't boot games except the Vita and no other system required outside memory until the PS1. Requiring the purchase of outside memory has been a Sony exclusive that other companies have sheepishly followed. I do feel that once the launch is over that they will start packing in memory cards.

The PS3 move with memory was a step forward for the industry, the Vita move with the memory was a step backwards.

Last edited by OldJadedGamer; 03-08-2012 at 02:57 PM.
OldJadedGamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #305
rein
TEAM BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer View Post
The PS3 move with memory was a step forward for the industry, the Vita move with the memory was a step backwards.
That is probably the key to it all. Sony gained nothing by providing an off of the shelf solution for storage with the PS3 and gamers proved that they are still willing to not only put up with proprietary storage in the industry but willing to pay a premium for it. You can blame Sony for every bad standard in the industry but it was Sega and now Microsoft that are setting the standard for pay-to-play online gaming. It's funny how we all pick our battles and what crosses the line for us individually. I just hope Sony doesn't sell out on that feature.

Last edited by rein; 03-08-2012 at 03:22 PM.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #306
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
That is probably the key to it all. Sony gained nothing by providing an off of the shelf solution for storage with the PS3 and gamers proved that they are still willing to not only put up with proprietary storage in the industry but willing to pay a premium for it. You can blame Sony for every bad standard in the industry but it was Sega and now Microsoft that are setting the standard for pay-to-play online gaming. It's funny how we all pick our battles and what crosses the line for us individually. I just hope Sony doesn't sell out on that feature.
Unless you are talking about something like the Sega Channel back with the 16 bit days, Sega never charged for online gaming outside of Phantasy Star Online which was kind of... almost an MMO. I think you mean Sony and not Sega since Sony charged for all online gaming regardless of title in some regions last gen. But see, Sony progressed from charging for online gaming to offering it for free. A step forward.

I said before, I blame the companies who are first to do it in a generation. Regardless of what company that is. Don't make a shitty standard for others to follow.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #307
violent
Anti-Music God

Then blame Microsoft for charging for what is free.
violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #308
BabyJesus
Soooo Slutty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent View Post
I think you're jumping the gun a little. The memory card prices are high, yes. But if you actually owned the device, you would know the good far outweigh the bad in this case. It's not about brand loyalty, it's about knowing where all the pieces are before making an assessment. At least for me, that's the beginning and the end of the matter.

And I agree a bad tactic is bad regardless of culprit.
First, I do own the device. I am on the fence about good outweighing the bad. I commented on it in the other VITA thread. Overall I like the systems design and performance so far, but potentially adding another $100 for memory card(s) when it should be about $25-50 burns my ass a little. If they offset the costs a bit by really giving you a discount on the online store would make me feel better about it. They could even just add a discount card to the memory card package and it'd work better for me. I mean you are saving them the cost of manufacturing, packaging, and shipping the games you are putting on them after all.
BabyJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #309
violent
Anti-Music God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJesus View Post
First, I do own the device. I am on the fence about good outweighing the bad. I commented on it in the other VITA thread. Overall I like the systems design and performance so far, but potentially adding another $100 for memory card(s) when it should be about $25-50 burns my ass a little. If they offset the costs a bit by really giving you a discount on the online store would make me feel better about it. They could even just add a discount card to the memory card package and it'd work better for me. I mean you are saving them the cost of manufacturing, packaging, and shipping the games you are putting on them after all.
Trust me, I'm in no way defending the pricing scheme of the memory. For me though, I decided the device worth the cost of entry so it is no longer of much concern to me. I'd rather get overcharged for a memory card than something like the OLED screen though.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #310
BabyJesus
Soooo Slutty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
Here's the thing though, if you manage your games in a realistic way you're not going to run into a problem, even if the PC transfer is rather slow.

Lets put forth a scenario here, and you tell me if I'm way off. For sake of argument, we'll say you buy a 32GB card. With games averaging 3 GB that would allow you to hold 10 games at a time, with room left over for saves and demos. Now, nobody in their right mind needs to carry 10 games around with them at all times, so lets say you have 5 games you want to always keep on you (Lumines, Katamari, etc..., stuff like that). That would leave you 15GB that you could use for the 2-3 games you'd realistically be playing at once along with some music and videos. I don't know about you, but I only play one, maybe two games at a time on my PSP, at least the more substantial stuff. How is that not enough space for a one time memory card purchase? Finish a game, store it on your PC, load up the next one and you're ready to go. It's not absolutely ideal, and the memory prices should be cheaper, but it's easy to work with.
Ok, fair enough. That can be done, you're right it isn't ideal. But if the 32gb cards were priced correctly. I could simply buy 2 32gb cards, download whatever I wanted for the foreseeable future and only have to backup my stuff on occasion in case the memory flipped out. To me thats just a better scenario. As it is with your scenario I am constantly hooking it up to transfer this game and buy a new one, plus backing it up. Just a pain in the ass all so they can gouge me on pricing.

Plus I like to grab my shit and go, thats what a portable system is for.

For me the transfers have been painfully slow as well. (backing up, I havent tried to transfer to the unit, but I suspect it wont be fast)
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #311
BabyJesus
Soooo Slutty....

Quote:
Hehe, maybe SHOULD be free to consumers. But I am sure that LIVE is far from free to Microsoft or PSN free to Sony.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #312
violent
Anti-Music God

Quote:
Hehe, maybe SHOULD be free to consumers. But I am sure that LIVE is far from free to Microsoft or PSN free to Sony.
Steam isn't free to Valve I'm sure.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #313
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:
I did complain last gen about both Sony and MS charging for online. And again, that is why I complained about Sony with their memory cards with the PS1 since as you point out, Sony started charging for what was previously free from everywhere else.

Quote:
Sony said recently that they have been from the start and still as of just a few weeks ago still losing money on PSN so they may end up charging again for online play next gen. I'm sure Valve and MS are making money on their online services.

Last edited by OldJadedGamer; 03-08-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #314
violent
Anti-Music God

So what you're saying is that you could easily embrace these sorts of requirements next gen when they are no longer new?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #315
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you could easily embrace these sorts of requirements next gen when they are no longer new?
Once consumers speak, I have to go with it. While Sony breaking the industry and charging for memory cards while everyone else was offering on board memory for free consumers spoke and thought that was ok to be price gouged so while I'll bring it up later in a conversation like this where it relates... the consumers have spoken.

Same with charging for online. They introduced it last gen and people bitched but consumers have agreed with it. If they didn't it would have failed like them trying to charge for Games for Windows Live. Last gen was the time to bitch about it but no one seemed to care so they kept going with it and you have the system you have today.

You can't expect change if you wait to complain about something until it is too late. You bitch and make your voice heard when it first starts so it sends a message that companies shouldn't keep doing that and other companies don't follow them. We'll see how long it takes before Sony starts putting a memory card in each box before we see if consumers are speaking loud enough about this practice.

Now if Vita sells through the roof and everyone thinks this is ok and the PS4 does the same thing there won't be anything to bitch about. I'm not one of those morons that only bitch once it affects me. I look at the bigger picture.