welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #161
Bad Buddha
Windburnt wildman

Well, Tim has my $15 donation.

That's a DONATION; if you look it up, you will see that donations are given without return consideration. In other words, a gift.

You aren't making an investment in this game. Double Fine has chosen to provide gifts back to those that make a gift toward the creation of this game.

That's the way I choose to look at it.

If I met Tim or Ron in a bar, I would buy them $15 in drinks just to spend time swapping stories with them.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #162
Hawkzombie
Undead Avian of Canada

I dunno why people are acting like this is an investment. When you donate to a web comic or to help them cover publishing costs of their book, are you expected to receive a cut of profit from that book?

No.

This is a DONATION, and the 'rewards' are THANK YOUS for taking a chance on the project. Know what happens if a project does NOT make the money in the allotted time? No one is charged anything. So in a way it's low risk since you only donate what you are willing to part with.

These are donations with thank you GIFTS. No investments where we expect a tangible return. How is that a difficult concept to grasp?

I look at it this way: Instead of them looking for a publisher to help them develop a game that will cost 500k dollars, and then relying on that publisher to call the major shots (like an Executive Producer for a movie) we get them making a game right off the bat, and on their terms. And once they are ready to release it, they can simply release it. Instead of risking all this money, they already guarantee those who DONATED get a copy of the game when it is completed.

For me? It's win win. I'm willing to risk 15 bucks for an awesome game whenever it comes out. I did the same for Minecraft. Should I be sending a letter to Notch demanding my cut?
PSN/Steam ID/BNet Tag - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie/HawkZombie#1136

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #163
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

I don't know about you, but when I bought Minecraft, I got an actual product right then and there, albeit in a pre-release state.

If you did not, then yes, perhaps you should write a letter to Mojang, I think you got ripped off.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #164
DarkDay
Colonist

Theres no valid argument as its just a .....DONATION.... some people just cant let shit go.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #165
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDay View Post
Theres no valid argument as its just a .....DONATION.... some people just cant let shit go.
News flash: Some people on the internet may not agree with you. It's just a thing you're going to have to learn to live with.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #166
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Buddha View Post
Well, Tim has my $15 donation.

That's a DONATION; if you look it up, you will see that donations are given without return consideration. In other words, a gift.

You aren't making an investment in this game. Double Fine has chosen to provide gifts back to those that make a gift toward the creation of this game.

That's the way I choose to look at it.

If I met Tim or Ron in a bar, I would buy them $15 in drinks just to spend time swapping stories with them.
That is how I will treat it. A donation. If I get something in return great. If not, ok. I think this idea deserves my support.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #167
crazyD
Nothing to see here

Today is the greatest day in the world. Tim Schafer and Ron Gillbert are going to be making a new point and click adventure game. I am so fucking stoked. While their recent downloadable games were nothing that grabbed me particularly, they have shown that they can ship a downloadable game fast. I don't think there will be any problem with this coming to completion.
crazyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #168
MagGnome

They say 6-8 months on the Kickstarter. Here's hoping that's the case!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #169
MagGnome

I read a great quote on Twitter today. Someone suggested that we start up a site called Kickstopper, where we can collectively donate 1 billion dollars to Activision with the caveat that they not make a Call of Duty game this year. I'm in!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #170
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I read a great quote on Twitter today. Someone suggested that we start up a site called Kickstopper, where we can collectively donate 1 billion dollars to Activision with the caveat that they not make a Call of Duty game this year. I'm in!
Just write that donation to PathMaster, that is with a 'P'. Thanks. I will make sure the money goes to the correct person. I swear.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #171
DarkDay
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
News flash: Some people on the internet may not agree with you. It's just a thing you're going to have to learn to live with.
lol, O i know, or wait... are you just saying that out loud for yourself?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #172
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDay View Post
lol, O i know, or wait... are you just saying that out loud for yourself?
Other people continuing to have opinions of their own rather than simply silencing themselves in deference to yours is not a moral failing on their part, but expecting it may be, what's that word? Oh, yeah, arrogant.

Last edited by J Arcane; 02-09-2012 at 10:44 PM.
J Arcane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #173
Vandabo
Guise srsly

Made my $15 donation. I'm not even that huge of a fan of the genre, but I like Double Fine and think the documentary might be quite interesting.

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #174
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathMaster View Post
Just write that donation to PathMaster, that is with a 'P'. Thanks. I will make sure the money goes to the correct person. I swear.
Sure, I'll get right on that.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #175
Entropy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
The alternative is that you don't buy the game
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #176
Bad Buddha
Windburnt wildman

Quote:
Wow. Some people can't acknowledge the accepted definition of a word or concept?

I can live with that.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #177
Hawkzombie
Undead Avian of Canada

Quote:
And just because you believe in something enough doesn't mean you're right about it either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Buddha View Post
Wow. Some people can't acknowledge the accepted definition of a word or concept?

I can live with that.
Sir, I wish to subscribe to your newsletter/mailing list.
PSN/Steam ID/BNet Tag - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie/HawkZombie#1136

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #178
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Ahh! Well the solution for those that do not agree with the model is not to participate. If you don't participate I don't feel that it is necessary to fault those that are participating.
I don't know how hard this is to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #179
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
The alternative is that you don't buy the game
No shit, seriously?

Thank you, Captain Obvious.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #180
Spigot
Turn Me

Given my love of the genre and Schaefer, I'm amazed I was able to restrain myself from throwing my wallet at the screen harder. Let's just say that my name's going to be in the credits.

Now to figure out when I'll have dinner with Tim and the gang...
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote