welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Dread7x
Colonist

House 5.3 9/30/08

Anyone watching the new season? So far I'm not impressed. Last nights episode was actually putting me to sleep. I don't like having Foreman around. They should have had confidence in the new cast to keep the show going instead of keeping the others around for absolutely no reason.

It's also losing ratings compared to previous seasons, so I guess I'm not alone in thinking this season is kinda meh. At this point, I don't know if I'll keep watching...

Last edited by Dread7x; 10-01-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Dread7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
astranoir
M.C. Escher's Death Unit

Yeah, I have not been impressed so far. I wish it would go back to concentrating on the bizarre elements of the cases rather than everyone's personal lives.
astranoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
el cheezer
Colonist

I like the PI guy that they replaced Wilson with, but the rest is a little on the meh side. I'll watch one or two more episodes and if it doesn't get better, I'll just wait for the Season set on DVD. It's easier to skip bad epidosed that way.
el cheezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
astranoir
M.C. Escher's Death Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheezer View Post
I like the PI guy that they replaced Wilson with, but the rest is a little on the meh side. I'll watch one or two more episodes and if it doesn't get better, I'll just wait for the Season set on DVD. It's easier to skip bad epidosed that way.
I like the PI guy, but his inclusion just seems so contrived it puts me off a bit.
astranoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
wyeast
Wub Wub

Quote:
Originally Posted by astranoir View Post
Yeah, I have not been impressed so far. I wish it would go back to concentrating on the bizarre elements of the cases rather than everyone's personal lives.
That's exactly what I was thinking! That's how so many shows end up off the rails, getting lost in "OMG WE MUST DO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT" and go off the deep end rather than giving us mere glimpses of their "off-the-clock" selves.

And why the hell must Wilson go? Don't they realize HE is the star of the show?

Ok, not just him. But the dynamic of the House-Wilson relationship was the counterbalance to House just being over-the-top jackass and making it hard to watch the show at all. Now with the PI, House just goes on full-on-jackass mode, and the PI is the enabler rather than the counterbalance.

And it just doesn't make for the same chemistry as:

House: "Hey Wilson, I'm gonna cut some cripple's eye out, wanna come watch?"
Wilson: "Good times."

House needs a straight man for the act. Cuddy's not it. Neither is the PI.
"Meat wrapped with meat. Hmmm... Delicious." - astranoir

Last edited by wyeast; 10-02-2008 at 09:18 AM.
wyeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Shadowstorm
There are FOUR LIGHTS!

Definitely a couple steps down from previous seasons. I like the private investigator. I'm not sure which direction the cast is being taken. It seems to me that either A: they're slowing building up to something or B: they don't know where to take the show.

I like that the latest episode was far less bitter than the first episode this season.
Shadowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
Hotcod
Warm fish smells funny

i, shockingly, think they did the right thing dumping wilson. After what happened it would feel wrong for things to go back to what they where and at this point they've played out there dynamic i think. There is very little they could have done that would have stayed interesting. That said it's left them casting around for a new centre to the show that they've not really been able to grab on to with these first few shows. I've enjoyed them well enough but i just hope they are trying to put ground work in place for something...

All i can really think is that it seems that with the PI they are not making him wilson but in a way his forcing house to think like wilson for him self. Which could be interesting to watch but i'm not exactly sure where they are going to go with it.
Hotcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Generation ABXY
Named After the Dog

I'm not sure how much I like this season yet - I'm only on the second episode, after all (I'm watching through Hulu) - but there are a few things I know I don't like. I am a bit torn on the whole Wilson thing; he was too interesting a foil to just cast aside.

Still, even as it is now, I still think House is one of the better shows on TV. Though I, too, hope they get back to interesting cases instead of all the character development. That stuff needs to be nuanced, like it used to be in CSI, not the star of the show.
Generation ABXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
The Iron Weasel
Shredtacular

Send a message via MSN to The Iron Weasel
Well I'm enjoying the new season quite a bit, but yeah I agree that the medicine has taken a back seat. I like the new cast, and I don't mind Foreman being around, but I'm kinda glad Chase and Cameron have taken a back seat, I think what happened is maybe they still had contracts to do the show? Or with Fox in general?

Last edited by The Iron Weasel; 10-02-2008 at 05:16 PM.
The Iron Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
Grifter
Cognified

I dig the PI and personally think he is going to carry this season for me. I also like the dynamic between him and Cutty(SP?). I think house is getting fucking annoying, he's gone from asshole genius with funny quirks to spoiled tantrum throwing child. As far as the rest of the cast goes the two male Dr. (I can't even remember their names) are entertaining for the most part and seem to be growing on me. 13 on the other hand just seems to be getting more annoying. They really should have ke[t Amber around, House seriously needs some one to put him in his place. When it come to the medical issues and science of it all I am honestly the made it this far before pushing it into the background.

A bit off topic but I was watching CSI: New York last night and I still can't believe how popular those shows are. Miami (which I haven't seen in about a season and a half) and New York have to be the most retarded things on TV, they even make Fringe look smart (I'm not knocking Fringe, I am enjoying it so far but it is a bit ridiculous). The original hasn't started yet but that one always seems to be a bit better than the spin offs.

All About Martial Arts
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
Hotcod
Warm fish smells funny

I enjoy the CSI shows... i know they are utter trash tv with style strongly over substance but they are purdy to look at and compelling enough to make me go out of my way to watch them... they shouldn't be as big as they are and some of it is awful but you have to remember people like shiny things and csi is mostly shiny things... that and the fact that it's also honestly enjoyable at its core if you forgive it some things means it's going to draw in a lot of people hook line and sinker who think its the best thing on tv ever. The main CSI show tends to be better simply beacuse they seem to have better actors over all... which seems to be changing as they seem to be bring in a lot of 'side' people in the newest series i'm watching.
Hotcod is offline   Reply With Quote