welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #2001
Xydarc
Time to rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
So just watched Eps 1 and 2 of Gundam Unicorn. What incredible mecha action! the story is not bad but I hope it won't be as predictable as it seems to be.
The mecha fights are very very well done. Seems like most of the budget went to them. Everything else was kind of boring, in my opinion. How many more angsty male teenage mecha pilots who question whether or not they should fight do we have to see?
Xydarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #2002
ClannerDelta
Lazzaloqu Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydarc View Post
The mecha fights are very very well done. Seems like most of the budget went to them. Everything else was kind of boring, in my opinion. How many more angsty male teenage mecha pilots who question whether or not they should fight do we have to see?
Complaining about overused tropes in an anime thread is like complaining about water in the sea. Visuals and an interesting twist are all you can hope for 99% of the time.

Though, from your comments, I assume you've not seen many of the Gundam's umpteenbillion spin-offs? If you liked Madoka, you might like Victory Gundam.

That's not a real recommendation. It's such a spiteful show. Everyone dies at the end but most of it is a set up for a much lighter series.
ClannerDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #2003
Xydarc
Time to rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClannerDelta View Post
Complaining about overused tropes in an anime thread is like complaining about water in the sea. Visuals and an interesting twist are all you can hope for 99% of the time.

Though, from your comments, I assume you've not seen many of the Gundam's umpteenbillion spin-offs? If you liked Madoka, you might like Victory Gundam.

That's not a real recommendation. It's such a spiteful show. Everyone dies at the end but most of it is a set up for a much lighter series.
If you're gonna give me Shinji Akari in a Gundam, at least give him the psychological hang-ups as well. Make it interesting.

I've checked out a lot of Gundam spin-offs, which is probably why I find any new Gundam series boring. Anime is built on a foundation of tropes, but Gundam has to be one of the worst offenders. In my opinion, of course. I like mecha/giant robot shows, but Gundam just isn't for me.

The first episode of Persona 4 was downloading when I left for work this morning. Can't wait to check it out when I get home.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #2004
bryan
Colonist

The angst about war was done way way before EVA man. In the original Gundam. Which sorta started the mecha explosion. Shinji isn't terribly original either, just that the creators dialed it up to 100 (out of 10)
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #2005
Xydarc
Time to rage

Quote:
The angst about war was done way way before EVA man. In the original Gundam. Which sorta started the mecha explosion. Shinji isn't terribly original either, just that the creators dialed it up to 100 (out of 10)
Gundam just seems stale to me anymore. I can understand why the series has its fans, it's just not for me.

Shinji wasn't very original in the beginning, but I'd be hard-pressed to come up with many other characters that have his level of psychosis.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #2006
bryan
Colonist

Yeah no doubt Gundam retreads. It's become old and familiar, that's why I love it.

I enjoyed EVA, but I never warmed to Shinji. Never liked him.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #2007
ClannerDelta
Lazzaloqu Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydarc View Post

I've checked out a lot of Gundam spin-offs, which is probably why I find any new Gundam series boring. Anime is built on a foundation of tropes, but Gundam has to be one of the worst offenders. In my opinion, of course. I like mecha/giant robot shows, but Gundam just isn't for me.

I don't mind that it's not for you. That's cool. The thing is, the settings and stories have ranged pretty far. From having chibi versions as children to Samurai in the Sengoku Era to a weird tournament fighter, etc. So the point of what your saying is more of what I find in contention. Just because I'm having a hard time thinking of a series that's had that much variety. The western ones like Wing and Seed were definitely more of the same, but that's such a small portion.

Now, the protagonist in Unicorn is easily one of the biggest offenders though. He's the biggest let down so far. You can clearly see the meddling of conglomerate chairmen in the story's direction. It's a shame, because a more solid story would have really shown off Unicorn's exceptional animation.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #2008
Xydarc
Time to rage

Quote:
Yeah no doubt Gundam retreads. It's become old and familiar, that's why I love it.

I enjoyed EVA, but I never warmed to Shinji. Never liked him.
Sometimes I wonder if that was on purpose. In many mecha series, they try so hard to make the main character/pilot a likeable guy (kind, goofball, heart of gold, etc, etc.) even though he's wielding a 100-ton death machine and killing everything in his path. It's like Shinji was designed to be the antithesis of that stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClannerDelta View Post
I don't mind that it's not for you. That's cool. The thing is, the settings and stories have ranged pretty far. From having chibi versions as children to Samurai in the Sengoku Era to a weird tournament fighter, etc. So the point of what your saying is more of what I find in contention. Just because I'm having a hard time thinking of a series that's had that much variety. The western ones like Wing and Seed were definitely more of the same, but that's such a small portion.

Now, the protagonist in Unicorn is easily one of the biggest offenders though. He's the biggest let down so far. You can clearly see the meddling of conglomerate chairmen in the story's direction. It's a shame, because a more solid story would have really shown off Unicorn's exceptional animation.
I mis-interpreted what you meant by spin-off. I always figured Gundam shows like 00 and Char's Attack to be "spin-offs." I apologize for my ignorance.

One mecha show that I really enjoyed that seemed to try something different was Zegapain. It did have all the usual tropes, when the big plot-twist reveal came, I was genuinely surprised. Zegapain also featured something that many of the anime shows I've watched did not: a satisfying ending.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #2009
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Deus Ex is the new Gundam Piloting.

"I never asked for this!!"

:P
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), FFXIV (PC), FFXIII (PC), Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (3DS), Fire Emblem (3DS)
FFXIV: Assyndra Siafu on Hyperion (US)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #2010
ClannerDelta
Lazzaloqu Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgoodwin View Post
Deus Ex is the new Gundam Piloting.

"I never asked for this!!"

:P
Aaaaand I concede. Internet argument lost.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #2011
Dav Slinker
its the police mam

I'm gonna say this, because it needs to be said.

The best Gundam series, bar none, was Wing.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #2012
bryan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshkdmw View Post

Honestly? I thought it was too soap opera and went a bit too unrealistic sci-fi. What I love about Gundam is that it tries to present it's tech in a very grounded manner. At the very least the mechs don't look too stylized, which was the opposite in Wing.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #2013
Dav Slinker
its the police mam

I'll grant it had its sappy moments. Anything involving Heero and Relena was usually meh. But Trowa Barton had a Gundam made of gatling guns that he did backflips in. It's hard to do backflips on the ground, but in a Gundam? It's controlled by a joystick and three buttons!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #2014
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

So I haven't paid much attention to anime lately (too much moeblob bullshit imo). As the creator of this thread, is there anything worth watching anymore in anime that's new?
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #2015
Dav Slinker
its the police mam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
So I haven't paid much attention to anime lately (too much moeblob bullshit imo). As the creator of this thread, is there anything worth watching anymore in anime that's new?
Not until lucky star season two drops.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #2016
ClannerDelta
Lazzaloqu Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshkdmw View Post

It appealed to me when I was younger, around 10 or so, and I have fond memories. Wanted to go back, watched half the first episode and decided to leave it in the nostalgia vault.

Really, Gundam 00 was a much, much better version of what Wing was trying to accomplish. Better animation, better writing, better set ups, better Gundams. The last one is obviously my preference.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #2017
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

You're both wrong. The correct answer is 08th MS Team :P
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), FFXIV (PC), FFXIII (PC), Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (3DS), Fire Emblem (3DS)
FFXIV: Assyndra Siafu on Hyperion (US)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #2018
ClannerDelta
Lazzaloqu Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgoodwin View Post
You're both wrong. The correct answer is 08th MS Team :P
Whatever, G Gundam was the best Gundam. It's so awesome it even stutters its own name.

I wasn't saying 00 was the best, just that it did everything Wing was trying to do, but better.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #2019
Dav Slinker
its the police mam

Actually, the best Gundam was that one where the mechs were all knights and shit. What was it called?

Right, Escaflowne!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #2020
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here.

I never got into mech shows. Not sure why since I like science fiction.

I mentioned some anime I've watched recently in a post on the previous page. Nobody said a peep about them so I'm not sure if nobody is watching those shows or if nobody feels like posting their thoughts on them.

I still have my eyes out for more good shows but it can be a bit of a chore to wade through all the various series out there.

BTW 1 thing I wanted to ask everyone, which subbers do you prefer using and which ones do you avoid, and why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIntrude View Post
Hit B to enter FPS 3rd person shooter mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
I think my brain just broke reading that...
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote