welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #41
Blue
Zealot

Just the tone so I could be reading into it too much. I'm just used to him pissing about something so admittedly I may have jumped the gun.
Steam: 1flyjedi
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #42
MagGnome

Yeah, I think this time you jumped the gun a bit.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #43
JayK47
Colonist

I am actually hoping this game is as good as it looks. If it is, I will pick it up and hope to finish it in time for Skyrim. I am just sick of opening up a new game and wading through all of the unlock codes. Everybody assumes these code authentication servers will work forever, and I know that is not true (see Dragon Age PC).
JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #44
Farsight
DON'T FIGHT IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK47 View Post
Everybody assumes these code authentication servers will work forever, and I know that is not true (see Dragon Age PC).
Then you would have a valid complaint -when- the code you paid for does not work.

Similarly, rushing to the defense of the faceless hordes w/ no internet access seems odd. Who are these people? Not anyone posting here, I assume. Those theoretical people don't get patches either, and I'd consider that far more important than a few Catwoman side-quests.

Complaining about hypotheticals is silly.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #45
Blue
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK47 View Post
I am actually hoping this game is as good as it looks. If it is, I will pick it up and hope to finish it in time for Skyrim. I am just sick of opening up a new game and wading through all of the unlock codes. Everybody assumes these code authentication servers will work forever, and I know that is not true (see Dragon Age PC).
Honestly, that's a fair point. I guess I trust in them and hadn't thought about them being unavailable further down the road which is a very valid concern.
Steam: 1flyjedi
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #46
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
Then you would have a valid complaint -when- the code you paid for does not work.
You honestly don't think that's an acceptable worry now? I think that's a very valid reason to frown on these sort of codes.

I can play a plethora of older console and PC games going back to the 1980s and even earlier. Unfortunately many of the games coming out now may not work at all in 5-10 years.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #47
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

I don't think it's anything to worry about. If the servers ever go down, I'd be willing to bet that the content will just be made available to all. Let's face it, if it's been so long that the servers are down, then it'll certainly be past the point where the publisher cares about used sales.

"Shh! I'm charging my laser!"
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #48
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Hahahah. This was cracked before the game was ripped...jezuz. I swear all this stuff does is EXCITE the pirates, not help anything.

Gamertag: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #49
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScreams View Post
I don't think it's anything to worry about. If the servers ever go down, I'd be willing to bet that the content will just be made available to all. Let's face it, if it's been so long that the servers are down, then it'll certainly be past the point where the publisher cares about used sales.
Yes, the publishers are surely going to be benevolent and patch out DRM, codes, etc. Yeah...

Some of them probably will, but many of them won't.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #50
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:

Similarly, rushing to the defense of the faceless hordes w/ no internet access seems odd. Who are these people? Not anyone posting here, I assume. Those theoretical people don't get patches either, and I'd consider that far more important than a few Catwoman side-quests.

Complaining about hypotheticals is silly.
Some people live in rural areas or simply don't have an internet connection. We are nerds so of course we do but these are consoles. Every single player game needs to be played offline. It really isn't asking too much there. Multiplayer, I agree but single player????

I know a few people with current gen systems, and online... that don't have them hooked up to the internets for whatever reason.
OldJadedGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #51
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Yes, the publishers are surely going to be benevolent and patch out DRM, codes, etc. Yeah...

Some of them probably will, but many of them won't.
I'm sure they will. Feel free to quote this post and say "I told you so" if they don't. But they will.

"Shh! I'm charging my laser!"
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #52
JayK47
Colonist

I guess my bad experience with Dragon Age on the PC has left me more jaded than usual. I knew the day would come when online activated content would give me trouble. Bioware does it quite extensively, and many others are following. Thing is, I like a lot of the recent Bioware games and I like to keep going back again and again. Instead of a fresh install on a new PC taking an hour, it takes days of messing around with all of the separate DLC and the authentication for each. Bioware still supports DA, but not very much. They made a change to the authentication servers recently that made it so most people could not authenticate. A hard to find beta patch is what finally worked for me, but now the game has a memory leak and I have to restart the game every 2 hours or so. Great way to enjoy what should be a great game. And seriously, by now, they should have patched the authentication out of the game. But no, still sticking to their guns and making things more difficult even.

Now, I know Batman has not come out yet and some catwoman content is not nearly as much as all of the DA DLC. But after all DLC has come out and a few years from now when most people have moved on and don't give two shits, the content may not be so accessible. The chance that the content may not be there is enough reason for me to reconsider the game at a full retail price.

These days it seems like the more I hear about a game, the less I want it. Because no news is good news. Before a game comes out, all I seem to hear about is the DRM, install limits, locked out content, day one DLC, limited pre-order bonuses and so on. Most people don't seem to care (anymore?). But it does bother me that it is basically status quo these days. To play a cool new game, we have to jump through way to many hoops. I guess I am just a relentless whiner, while the majority of you have simply accepted things as they are. I won't convert. I'll keep complaining about the difficulty of modern gaming, canceling my pre-orders, and picking up more and more games for cheap since they are no longer worth the hassle for full price.

So to pick this game up anytime soon, I hope they do not make any more announcements. All I want to see until release are all the good reviews it should get.

Last edited by JayK47; 10-13-2011 at 09:14 PM.
JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #53
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScreams View Post
I'm sure they will. Feel free to quote this post and say "I told you so" if they don't. But they will.
There have already been several reports of problems with Dragon Age over the last year or so. I don't even need to wait for the future to say that you're wrong.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #54
Farsight
DON'T FIGHT IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I can play a plethora of older console and PC games going back to the 1980s and even earlier. Unfortunately many of the games coming out now may not work at all in 5-10 years.
This code unlocks a few optional DLC side missions. Your complaint doesn't fit.

If you buy the game now, your code unlocks the content for you forever. I don't know for sure how the PC side will be set up, but on the console, you'll never need the code again.

If you're not playing it for years, it's unlikely you'll be playing a version with an unused code anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer View Post
Some people live in rural areas or simply don't have an internet connection.
So you're their white knight? If they don't like games that have optional content that requires an internet connection, they can choose not to buy it. If they want to bitch about it on forums, they can get an internet connection; they don't need proxy bitchers.

Quote:
Every single player game needs to be played offline. It really isn't asking too much there. Multiplayer, I agree but single player????
And it is playable offline. This is optional DLC.

Again, these people are perfectly capable of making their own purchasing choices. They're already playing games without patches (I can't imagine that), they can make their own decisions regarding games w/ DLC they can't access.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #55
Savok
Vulcan Rage!

And you're white knighting for people dicking over parts of their playerbase.

I wouldn't worry too much about 20 years down the track, if ROM sites have taught us anything it's that there's a lot of motivated people out there with the resources to follow through. Of course this is assuming the Internet is still free at that point.
Savok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #56
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:
So you're their white knight? If they don't like games that have optional content that requires an internet connection, they can choose not to buy it. If they want to bitch about it on forums, they can get an internet connection; they don't need proxy bitchers.
just because it doesn't directly apply to me personally doesn't mean that I can't bitch about it being shitty and try to make sure other companies don't make the same decision. I did a march for breast cancer and raised money for it but have never been directly affected by it. Can you only do the aids walk if you are hiv? Can you only not support gay marriage just because you are straight?
OldJadedGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:49 AM   #57
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

NB4 you're compring herp with derp! You IDIOT!

sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #58
Kielaran
Needs to NaNo

Apparently if you buy the game used at Gamestop, the code will be printed on your receipt.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #59
Narradisall
Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielaran View Post
Apparently if you buy the game used at Gamestop, the code will be printed on your receipt.
That makes no sense. Surely the code would already be used for that game? Unless they bulk buy codes. I always thought these codes were one time uses linked to the players account, and thus not transferable.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #60
Psykoboy2
Enigma Of The Mystical

Send a message via AIM to Psykoboy2 Send a message via MSN to Psykoboy2 Send a message via Skype™ to Psykoboy2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narradisall View Post
That makes no sense. Surely the code would already be used for that game? Unless they bulk buy codes. I always thought these codes were one time uses linked to the players account, and thus not transferable.
Makes perfect sense. If you buy it used, a code will be printed out on your receipt for the catwoman content. This is a one time use code. So even if you return that copy, someone else who buys it will get a brand new code on their receipt.

The interesting thing here is that, so far, only GameStop has said it would do this. Maybe some deal they have with the publisher giving customers more incentive to buy it used from them if they are buying used at all.
Psykoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote