welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 10-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Battlefield 3 (PC/360/PS3) Thread

So our conversation about Battlefield 3 is split between three different threads at this point- the Beta thread, the hype thread in the PC forum, and the poll. I'm starting this so we can all come together in one place and harp about the retail release together.

Who's getting what? I pre-ordered the 360 version after overcoming a slight addiction to the beta. I know it's not the *real" Battlefield experience, but I enjoyed both 1943 and BC2 on the console, and I expect nothing less than the same fun I had with those titles in BF3.

I also plan on rolling the recon class and specializing in squad insertion tactics!
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
aVaKus
keepin' it classy

Send a message via AIM to aVaKus
I canceled my preorder with Amazon earlier today.

Gamertag: aVaKu5
PSN: aVaKus
Steam: aVaKus
3DS Friend Code: 2836-0087-4693
Nintendo ID: aVaKus3

It Gets Better
aVaKus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
I was originally going to rent this but those who I wanted to play with are waiting. I'll wait for the winter to pick it up and see if anyone wants to play then.

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
digitalErich
Mathematical!

PC version for me...I had a ton of fun with the beta so I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
Gerbs
One Clip, One Kill

360 version pre-ordered. Hesitant to pick up blind. Going to wait on reviews scores + impressions here. Removal of ability to rocket MCOM's from across the map kills my boner a bit, but I do love unlocks... Will wait and see if I am still playing Dark Souls and Gears and my anticipation for CoD.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

This was a day one purchase for me. Then the negativity about the beta cropped up. Then I found out that bullet drop would return in BF3. Deal broken. If I have to compensate for a bullets arc? Screw that noise. I just want to point and shoot at something and have it die like in CoD or Halo.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Karak
Press Start to Begin

ANOTHER thread?!?! Damn.

Not getting it at all. Not worth it for the bugs. If they prove that its good, or fix the issues sure. But they don't get to have a 60 loan for me, on the imaginary collateral of possibly having a working game.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Wasn't Dead Island also loaded with bugs and issues?
Current Projects
Old 10-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
Wasn't Dead Island also loaded with bugs and issues?
Thank you for proving my point.
Only idiots would repeat failure

Also luckily I was 360 which was actually pretty fucking phenomenal, especially playing 4 players for up to 8 hours at a time with no bugs...PC version...ya sad.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Was the beta bad on the consoles? The ground thing in Metro is was pretty huge, but that was fixed during the beta after only a few days.

I guess I just don't see this beta as an overall negative experience like I'm seeing on a lot of news sites. I wonder if I just got lucky.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Grifter
Cognified

Pre-purchased from Amazon for $40 due to a couple previous promotional credits I had.

As far as the bugs are concerned, I've played enough games from Dice to trust that the retail release will be fairly bug free. I've learned that judging the final release from a quality developer based on a Beta (not demo) to be kind of stupid. Besides, I'll need all the practice I can get to keep up with the more experienced players.

I also didn't have too many problems with the Beta other than the occasional clipping and odd physics issues and a weapon vanishing bug during my first to plays.

EDIT: It's also important to understand that the code used for the Beta was a few months old before the Beta even started so they have had more than a month to clean things up. Again, if this wasn't Dice I may be a bit more leery but I have no reason at this point not to trust they won't release a quality, stable product. Even if the multi-player is a buggy mess I have no doubt I'll get $40 worth of enjoyment from the single player in which case by the time I'm done with that things should be cleaned up a bit.

All About Martial Arts

Last edited by Grifter; 10-12-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
Was the beta bad on the consoles? The ground thing in Metro is was pretty huge, but that was fixed during the beta after only a few days.

I guess I just don't see this beta as an overall negative experience like I'm seeing on a lot of news sites. I wonder if I just got lucky.
For Dead Island? There wasn't a beta that why I was teasing...because the two comparisons didn't work.

But if you mean Battlefield...well it was the worst technical beta I have been involved in since the creation of the 360 and sadly they don't have many to compare on the console...thank god.

The worst thing is that bugs were all over the place, reported by some and not by others even if they were using the same consoles. Sigh. Just broken. Actually taking into account the timeline that is actually alpha...not beta.

However, as I always say, if the game comes out and the short time between beta and release has not impacted it...I will pick it up for sure.

I also understand you DIDN'T have issues but it is sort of scary to assume that people who have had issues on a closed system(Consoles) and you didn't means that you just never will I sort of side on caution from my own experience and others on the same system. Also as it does have a ton of issues, that means many of the friends I have, may have those issues. I, personally would rather have a game work...for everyone...especially with this kind of MP focus for much of it.

Fingers crossed though. It could turn out great! And one more amazing game, is fucking awesome!

If I do get it, 360 for sure!

Last edited by Karak; 10-12-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I was talking about BF3 and I wasn't assuming, which is why I asked I experienced my share of bugs in the PC beta, but I was just completely confused when I hear things like "worst beta ever" being thrown around with BF3.

Either these people haven't been in many betas or their experience was completely different from mine...I was trying to figure out which one it was.

I was also curious if most of the complaints were coming out of consoles, one specific console, people with marginal PCs, or just a random, system-unspecific crowd of people.

Last edited by digitalErich; 10-12-2011 at 04:14 PM.
digitalErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
I was talking about BF3 and I wasn't assuming, which is why I asked I experienced my share of bugs in the PC beta, but I was just completely confused when I hear things like "worst beta ever" being thrown around with BF3.

Either these people haven't been in many betas or their experience was completely different from mine...I was trying to figure out which one it was.
Ya sorry it was to Rev that I was pointing out the Dead Island lack of beta sorry about that.

I will let you decide which of your choices it is. It seems pretty obvious that something is up...and it's from people who have been in beta's before...but each to their own.
I will be getting it(renting) on 360 the moment that I find out they have fixed it. I really do want to play a working game.

It could occur on day 1 or day 301. The second they make it worth purchase price, I AM THERE

Last edited by Karak; 10-12-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
Jackel
Demo to the Death

Send a message via ICQ to Jackel Send a message via AIM to Jackel Send a message via MSN to Jackel Send a message via Yahoo to Jackel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
ANOTHER thread?!?! Damn.
I didn't want to say anything but the solution to too many threads isn't to make yet another one.

Steam ID: Jackel
Xbox Live: Snap Jackel Pop
Impulse: SnapJackelPop
Jackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Thank you for proving my point.
Only idiots would repeat failure

Also luckily I was 360 which was actually pretty fucking phenomenal, especially playing 4 players for up to 8 hours at a time with no bugs...PC version...ya sad.
Gotcha I'm optimistic about the bug fixes, though. It'd be quite a downer to not get it working right until Skyrim's released...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackel View Post
I didn't want to say anything but the solution to too many threads isn't to make yet another one.
I know it's cluttered, but we're split between different forums and threads- the original announcement, the beta, and the poll... Hopefully a general purpose one brings the conversation together. If not, we could bury it bury after several Weekend/day threads!
Current Projects
Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
digitalErich
Mathematical!

It could just be that I've been there for every single PC BF game and by comparison, that BF3 beta was by far their best first release of a game that I can remember, outside of maybe BC2.

DICE has me conditioned to want what their games eventually become.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
Gotcha I'm optimistic about the bug fixes, though. It'd be quite a downer to not get it working right until Skyrim's released...

I know it's cluttered, but we're split between different forums and threads- the original announcement, the beta, and the poll... Hopefully a general purpose one brings the conversation together. If not, we could bury it bury after several Weekend/day threads!
NO don't bury it. Don't bury it.
This one is fine. I was just pointing out ...DAMN! And I think, like the dueling Rage threads, that if an offer is made to merge, you do, if no offer than you keep right on going and you had a reason to make this one in the first place. At least 1 of those other threads will drop off very soon anyway. And hopefully the other.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #19
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

This new thread I think is fine. The other thread is just for the beta but this should have a retail thread and it shouldn't be in the PC forum since this is on multiple systems so this works I think.

I'm getting the 360 version to play with my friends and selling off the single player disc once it comes down to $40 and the first major patch is released. I'll double dip and get the PS3 disc when it drops in price to around $30 so I can play with folks on GAF since the main system for the game over there is PS3.
OldJadedGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #20
Grifter
Cognified

I just got the Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition digital download code for $1.99!!!

I had originally bought the boxed version for $40 because I didn't realize they were offering the digital version as well. When I saw that they were discounting the digital version I called them up to see if the $20 promotional credit I had used on that order would be put pack in my account if I canceled it and got the download code instead. I did this because normally if you return an item you bought with this type of promotion you get your money back (obviously) but lose the promotion credit and I wasn't sure if the same held true for cancelled pre-orders. The lady who was helping me said she wasn't sure but that is generally the case so she canceled the order for me and reissued the $20 discount which was awesome of her. When I went to checkout with the download code it was showing a final price of $1.99, apparently you do get the promotion back automatically when cancelling a pre-order! Good day for me!

All About Martial Arts
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote