welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #2021
Hawkzombie
Undead Avian of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingOrc View Post
I still don't get the Capra demon hate: One of the only bosses I beat on my first attempt (I did get a BIT lucky), but he seemed perfectly balanced to me. I think its just playstyle.
I think it's the kind of fight where if you're not ready for what's to come, or able to quickly recover, it feels cheap. He is indeed easy, but a small fighting area and TWO dogs to deal with makes it a hectic and frenzied fight.

Four kings still is the worst fight ever.
PSN/Steam ID/BNet Tag - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie/HawkZombie#1136

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #2022
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzombie View Post
Four kings still is the worst fight ever.
Which is the boss I beat on my second try.

Seriously, I think build makes a huge difference here. Almost every boss I've heard described as both "easy" and "impossible". (except the iron guy on top of Sen's Fortress, most people seem to find him pretty easy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDon View Post
I love you, Orc.
TheFlyingOrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #2023
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

Send a message via AIM to maharahaj
Quote:
I still don't get the Capra demon hate: One of the only bosses I beat on my first attempt (I did get a BIT lucky), but he seemed perfectly balanced to me. I think its just playstyle.
The fight really boiled down to whether or not you could survive the first 12 seconds of the fight. Capra charges the fog gate immediately upon entry and the skinny arena leaves almost nowhere to go. His initial attacks are easy enough to block, but at that level it drains your stamina leaving up open to being hit by the first dog while staggered. Then Capra's ready to dance again. Trying to dodge to the left always leaves you open to attack by the 1st dog as well.

Consider yourself lucky that you only had to face him once.
maharahaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #2024
Hawkzombie
Undead Avian of Canada

Quote:
Which is the boss I beat on my second try.

Seriously, I think build makes a huge difference here. Almost every boss I've heard described as both "easy" and "impossible". (except the iron guy on top of Sen's Fortress, most people seem to find him pretty easy)
Took me three tries. Gravelord Nito took a total of 8 for me.

I still think Four Kings is a fucking terrible fight. Nito at least had reason for it being cheap. Four Kings is just 'HEY GUYS! GANG RAPE TIME!'
PSN/Steam ID/BNet Tag - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie/HawkZombie#1136

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #2025
ClannerDelta
Lazzaloqu Devotee

Quote:
You don't get the hate about getting blitzed by a giant two hitting machine being aided by a pair of rapewolves inside a closet?

The rest of the bosses were very easy. Mostly about watching the pattern then exploiting it. Though I did know about 4 kings beforehand. So I had put on my Havel's armor and waded in with my Lightning Claymore.

A lot of them had some very easy to exploit flaws. Including Capra, so once you survived the initial onslaught, it wasn't even fair. Unlike every other boss, though, Capra didn't let you sit around waiting to figure out what that flaw was.
ClannerDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #2026
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
It is ALL build. If you have a build that can survive his initital wallop, the cheapness of getting rushed on entry isn't quite so bad. Same for 4kings, if you have the ability to wear Havels and just take a beating, the fight is easy as hell. If you are a skill... er, caster or ranged player, in both fights you are effectively screwed.

Capra for most builds is like a 10 button quick time event, except they don't list the button combinations on the screen and if you miss any of them, you are dead. Oh, and of course, you have no warning or indicator you are currently playing a QTE. It is cheap as hell.

Frankly, at that level, there is only one way for most builds to beat Capra, roll right ( only right, blocking or rolling left are a death sentence ), run up the stairs, kill the dog, fall down the stairs, repeat ad naseum. That isn't tactics, thats cheap. That's the problem with the game, that I didn't have with DemonSouls, strategy was basically a no go, you either had the right build or you exploited the environment, which always left you feeling hollow in your victory.

Last edited by Serapth; 12-04-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #2027
LarsenNET
Colonist

I beat Capra the first time but I did watch youtube before so I knew what I was getting into. 4 Kings second try, and I disagree about a caster not working. I'm a Pyro with a maxed glove. All I did was unload spells and dodge, ran out of spells on the last one so I just whacked him until he died.

So far I struggled the most with Quelaag, & Ornst/Smough. Both had essentially one hit kills.
LarsenNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #2028
Codicier
NANOMACHINES, SON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClannerDelta View Post
You don't get the hate about getting blitzed by a giant two hitting machine being aided by a pair of rapewolves inside a closet?
If I were the type of person to abuse "lol", now would be the time. "rapewolves in a closet".
Old 12-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #2029
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

I just defeated Priscilla, Ceaseless Discharge and Firesage Demon. I killed Firesage just as he killed me, so I got the souls at my bloodstain, but missed his catalyst drop. Oops.

I also realized why I have not been able to get the Divine weapon trophy. The wiki tells me there is a Large Divine Ember in the Tomb of Giants. It sounds like it is in the pit near where you find Patches that has like 6 large skeletons in it. I tried getting down there in the past but always got asshole raped by the skeletons.

Edit: and Centipede Demon is down. Man, these dinosaurs beyond him pack a punch!

Last edited by maharahaj; 12-04-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #2030
menage
Praise the sun!

Just run like hell for the ember when you drop down. It's not really worth fighting cause you will lose.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
menage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #2031
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menage View Post
Just run like hell for the ember when you drop down. It's not really worth fighting cause you will lose.
I won. Greater combustion some breathing room, roll, fireball. Key is make yourself space, fast.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #2032
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
It is ALL build. If you have a build that can survive his initital wallop, the cheapness of getting rushed on entry isn't quite so bad. Same for 4kings, if you have the ability to wear Havels and just take a beating, the fight is easy as hell. If you are a skill... er, caster or ranged player, in both fights you are effectively screwed.

Capra for most builds is like a 10 button quick time event, except they don't list the button combinations on the screen and if you miss any of them, you are dead. Oh, and of course, you have no warning or indicator you are currently playing a QTE. It is cheap as hell.

Frankly, at that level, there is only one way for most builds to beat Capra, roll right ( only right, blocking or rolling left are a death sentence ), run up the stairs, kill the dog, fall down the stairs, repeat ad naseum. That isn't tactics, thats cheap. That's the problem with the game, that I didn't have with DemonSouls, strategy was basically a no go, you either had the right build or you exploited the environment, which always left you feeling hollow in your victory.
I just tore into the dogs, as I recall. I find the Taurus demon to be significantly more cheap - there's basically no way to beat him WITHOUT exploiting the environment. You either plunge attack him or make him fall off the edge.

Also, there are "roll holes" in the Capra Demon's attack patterns. They aren't easy to hit, but they exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDon View Post
I love you, Orc.
TheFlyingOrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #2033
menage
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
I won. Greater combustion some breathing room, roll, fireball. Key is make yourself space, fast.
Yeah, it's possible but not with my slow knight build.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
menage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #2034
LarsenNET
Colonist

What seems to be the weapon of choice late game? I'm rocking the Astora's Straight Sword +5, it's fast but not very powerful. Also I've got the Black Knight sword but it's pretty slow.

I could upgrade the Lighning Spear but I'm afraid of using up my chunks / slabs since they are so rare and locking myself out of a good upgrade. So far I only have 1 slab in the whole game from the demon in the return to the asylum which is a guaranteed drop. I know one of each exists for each color but I'm not there yet. I've taken out 12 crystal lizards with no slabs.
LarsenNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #2035
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

I have been using a +5 lightning spear for most of the second half of the game. The blue slab can be found in Crystal Cave (and supposedly is a rare drop by the moonlit butterflies in there as well). I believe the red slab is in Lost Izalith, though I have only just started exploring that area. Not sure if any creature drops them as rare drops.

Essentially, you need at least 2 playthroughs to make all the achievement/trophy weapons and if you are going to play a second time to get both endings, there is no reason to hold off on making some weapons once you find the slabs.

The wiki states that the area leading up to the final boss has 5 knights, all who always drop white, blue and red chunks. Essentially, you can farm them over and over again right before the end to get as many chucks as needed.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #2036
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

I finally found the Very Large Ember in New Londo Ruins tonight. I also bought all of Smough's armor and most of Dark Sun Gwyndalin's wardrobe.

Some of you (Serapth and Banacek I believe) mentioned you can warp towards the end of the Tomb of the Giants to farm baby skeletons, but when I warped to Gravelord Nito's lair, I can not find a way out of it. If I remember correctly, you had to drop into his area. Can anyone clarify how to warp to the end of that zone?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #2037
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsenNET View Post
What seems to be the weapon of choice late game? I'm rocking the Astora's Straight Sword +5, it's fast but not very powerful. Also I've got the Black Knight sword but it's pretty slow.

I could upgrade the Lighning Spear but I'm afraid of using up my chunks / slabs since they are so rare and locking myself out of a good upgrade. So far I only have 1 slab in the whole game from the demon in the return to the asylum which is a guaranteed drop. I know one of each exists for each color but I'm not there yet. I've taken out 12 crystal lizards with no slabs.
In the end Qualog Demon Sword, then for the few critters it wasn't effective against, my +5 divine falchion ( worked on those Flamethrowing floaty blob things that were fire resistent, and killed skeletons dead ). That said, I was mostly pure caster. By the end, Crystal Homing with my catalyst pretty much 1-shotted everything to the tune of 1100 points.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #2038
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharahaj View Post
I finally found the Very Large Ember in New Londo Ruins tonight. I also bought all of Smough's armor and most of Dark Sun Gwyndalin's wardrobe.

Some of you (Serapth and Banacek I believe) mentioned you can warp towards the end of the Tomb of the Giants to farm baby skeletons, but when I warped to Gravelord Nito's lair, I can not find a way out of it. If I remember correctly, you had to drop into his area. Can anyone clarify how to warp to the end of that zone?
Oh.

Forgot about the cliff... I said you could, not that I did.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #2039
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

Looks like I'll be shlepping my way through the Catacombs and Tomb of Giants again. But not until I have plenty of red chunks to upgrade either a fire or chaos weapon completely.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #2040
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

And now I know why Serapth was complaining about the Bed of Chaos. What a cheap battle that was.

Almost done with the game. Despite loving it, I need to play some other titles I have piling up at my house instead of jumping into NG+. Still to do are the following:
-Farm the Knights in Kiln of the First Flame to get 6 more chunks of white and titanite.
-Buy 20+ green shards.
-Re-run Catacombs to make a fire or chaos weapon.
-Run the Tomb of Giants to farm at least 30 humanity and find the white slab.
-Make a final weapon using the white slab.
-Get egg head so I can buy the two pyromancies from the dude with the egg sack back.
-Offer 30 humanity to the witch to get her pyromancy and talk to her sister in Blightown to get her final pyro spell for killing the Bed of Chaos.
-Defeat final boss.