welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 09-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #21
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Yeah, probably the reason I like the menu system so much. It's controller friendly, whereas Oblivion's menu's had the PC in mind(kinda). I'm sure some of the PC gamers might not like it. But then again, the ease of use might appeal to them too.
There will be mods for the PC at least, so I have no problem if it is "console-ized".
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #22
Shieldmaiden
Fights With Panache

I've heard a lot of good things about the UI, even from PC-centric sources.

AAAIIIIIAAAAAAAAHH, AHH!
Shieldmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
There will be mods for the PC at least, so I have no problem if it is "console-ized".
The silver lining showeth thine face.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie_619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #24
Grifter
Cognified

I find that Bethesda's interfaces are just as bad as their animations and models so while Skyrim does seem to be an improvement over Oblivion I still can't bring myself to risk buying the console version. I played Oblivion on the 360 and there were so many stupid little things about the game it almost drove me nuts at times, after playing the PC version I don't know how I managed to dump so many hours into the 360 version. I will be going all PC this time, if I have the willpower I may even wait a couple months for some of the inevitable interface (and hopefully animation) mods to drop. We'll see though, despite all the issues I had with Oblivion It's still one of my favorite games this generation.

If Diablo 3 gets a 2011 release I should be able to resist Skyrim for a few months but I think that's the only game that will allow me to do that.

I also really wish Skyrim had specific hit location damage and animations. When the guy got slashed across the throat in the video he should have just crumbled to the floor. I know it's getting really knitpicky but I find the more detailed and realized a game world is the more things like this bug me.

All About Martial Arts
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #25
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Sadly my Laptop is too piss weak to handle anything above Oblivion and Borderlands. Skyrim looks too graphically intensive to be worth it for me. I'd be playing on low settings and it'd look like ass.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #26
Abednigo
Made a good point once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
Release Date: November 11, 2011

In less than two months, Bethesda's latest entry in the open-world fantasy series The Elder Scrolls will be unleashed on the gaming world for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. Soon, millions of gamers will be... shouting dragons to death and then eating their voices. Or something. I'm not exactly clear on that part yet.

Are you thinking of nabbing it? Did you put on your robe and wizard hat while pre-ordering the special edition months ago?

I've got a copy pre-ordered from Amazon with some delicious release-date delivery, just in time for my birthday. I'm already musing over how I'll develop my class. I've always gone for a Wood-Elf thief, but I'm getting sick of ammo-dependent ranged warfare in these games. I considered making a thievin' Redguard, but I don't want to perpetuate racial stereotypes.

Anyone else counting down the days?
I wouldn't say I'm counting down the days, but I'm definitely excited. I snagged a pre-order from Newegg for $48 with free shipping (PS3 version). It'll be just in time for my birthday too (11/22), along with a few other games. I was just looking at my calendar and figure I should be able to finish Uncharted 3 by the time Skyrim shows up. If it's a similar length as the first two (12-15 hours) I should be able to wrap it up in a week's time. That'll open up the rest of November for Skyrim.

I guess I won't be doing NaNoWriMo this year.

PSN: jjmahoney
Steam/iOS: jjmahoney3
Wii U: jjmahoney
3DS: 0275-7092-1302
Abednigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #27
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

I hadn't watched the E3 demo film all the way through before. I kept getting tired of the obnoxious presentation so I quit after a couple minutes. Those clips were phenomenal, though.

Any intention of being a traditional ranged thief went out the window as soon as I saw the spell that blasts enemies off their feet. I've never played a magic class in Morrowind or Oblivion, but after watching that, I'd have to be stupid to skip the spells.
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #28
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

@Reverant

Ya, the magic in Oblivion was pretty generic. You either launched a ball of some elemental power, cast a spell that worked upon touch, or some sort of AOE or spell you cast on yourself to enhance yourself.

Magic in Oblivion was kinda meh. These spells are all kinds of awesome. Makes a guy like me who uses warrior/thief classes want use spells for more than healing and bonus attacks.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #29
National Kato
Surfer Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
Is it just me or is the horses's model and animation really distracting?
It's no RDR, but it's an improvement over Oblivion.
Origin: NationalKato
Now Playing: inFamous SS / Skyrim / Hearthstone
[twitch.tv]
[smith.ink]
National Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #30
Narradisall
Cookies

Horse armour will clear that animation problem right up.

And charging straight at an enemy is a perfectly reasonable strategic plan.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #31
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

The only problem I had with the horses in Oblivion were the controls on PC. Why couldn't I just turn using the mouse? Using the S and D keys to turn was just cumbersome and stupid.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #32
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

I am 1000% sold on this game. When that guy combined the spell to slow down time, jump in the air and release a concussive blast I swear I shed a happy tear.

And...i think...it moved...
Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #33
Kelegacy
Hairy and Scary

I am so rock hard over this. It's 3 days after my birthday, so it will definitely be a purchase. Though how I will find time to play it...I don't have any vacation time coming to me. Lots of late night weekends I guess.

The only $60 game I'll have bought in the past couple years. If I can find it cheaper or with a preorder credit, I'll do that.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #34
Narradisall
Cookies

Quote:
Right, especially when they have ranged magic and a bow drawn. It's also a perfectly reasonable strategic plan to act like nothing happened when the person you were talking to gets assassinated in front of your eyes.
It's called lulling them into a false sense of security. It's a legitimate strategy!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #35
Hyperglide
Nihilistic Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Kato View Post
For those who have and have not seen the E3, Quake Con, and PAX Prime demo...here is a crisp, clean version of the full 20+ minutes with minimal voiceover/explanation from Todd Howard.

Part II

Very excited for this game's potential.
The part where he sneak attacks the 2 humans at the fire with the bow disturbed me at about 0:23 seconds in. The AI seems to not react to whats going on around them. He killed the first adventurer and then the adventurers partner didn't even react. Just stood there and took it.

Live Gamertag: Hyperglide
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V, Diablo III.
True Achievements: Hyperglide
Battle.net - Diablo III - Battletag. Add Me: Hyperglide#1704 (Americas)
Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #36
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Right, especially when they have ranged magic and a bow drawn. It's also a perfectly reasonable strategic plan to act like nothing happened when the person you were talking to gets assassinated in front of your eyes.
Nit pickers! LOL

This is just some examples of the dumb stuff AI does when the dev's want a game to not be too hard.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #37
Narradisall
Cookies

I have that issue with most games though. AI kind of always sucks and doesn't go anywhere.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #38
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
The part where he sneak attacks the 2 humans at the fire with the bow disturbed me at about 0:23 seconds in. The AI seems to not react to whats going on around them. He killed the first adventurer and then the adventurers partner didn't even react. Just stood there and took it.
He was scared!
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #39
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Compared to Farcry: Predator's AI, the AI in Oblivion/Skyrim looks like Data from Star Trek.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #40
Xydarc
Time to rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
The only option that should even be available for this game is Viking.
Breton Viking Warmage.

I enjoyed the videos and I did notice the horse not moving quite right. Hopefully that will be fixed in the final version.

Regardless of the nitpicks, I am stoked for this game. All it needs to do is keep me busy until March.
I made Druss the Legend and he barely wears anything so I had to get some Grand Soulgem enchantment up in that codpiece hahaha.
Xydarc is offline   Reply With Quote