welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #1981
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

I wabbajack erry day.

Anywho, my new character is proving to be INSANELY fun! I have been roasting my foes in flames, and adding dagger and bow in for kicks. What's really exciting is the sense of not being super buff. I actually have to manage health magic and potions again. Dodging attacks and strategic retreats actually have meaning.
The other thing that is exciting is learning magic. There's just a ton of stuff to learn and pump perks into... I think this playthrough will have much longer legs than my ranger's did.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #1982
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #1983
Arphahat
Fear the mighty Tuskbull!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
I wabbajack erry day.

Anywho, my new character is proving to be INSANELY fun! I have been roasting my foes in flames, and adding dagger and bow in for kicks. What's really exciting is the sense of not being super buff. I actually have to manage health magic and potions again. Dodging attacks and strategic retreats actually have meaning.
The other thing that is exciting is learning magic. There's just a ton of stuff to learn and pump perks into... I think this playthrough will have much longer legs than my ranger's did.
I am also playing a mage after a bow-heavy character. The game is very different, for sure. It is weird using all of my mana potions and needing more, when on my other character, I stopped picking them up.

I am purposely not carrying any weapons and relying on bound sword if I absolutely need one. And, armor is mage robes plus one of the armor spells. And, as I don't sneak at all, I am able to get through the dungeons much faster than before.

Early on, I came across spells I wouldn't normally have bothered with, but had no other options and they have turned out great. Fury would be one of the most annoying spells to have cast on my group and I am using it constantly to have bandits kill one another. Then, Raise Zombie does a good job of having them fight their dead friend again.
Steam Trading Cards

Steam | XPP Mod for Minecraft | Download XPP
Arphahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #1984
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Finally had my first challenge against an ancient dragon. Sure, I have smithing and enchanting pretty high, but I had unloaded a bunch of potions that I didn't think I needed.

And this bastard would not land. Couldn't get close enough to smash its stupid face in.

Fun fight.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #1985
menage
Praise the sun!

I wish this game would at least split up the saves per character. This is the second time I overwrite something. Stuuupppiiidd wine.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #1986
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphahat View Post
I am also playing a mage after a bow-heavy character. The game is very different, for sure. It is weird using all of my mana potions and needing more, when on my other character, I stopped picking them up.

I am purposely not carrying any weapons and relying on bound sword if I absolutely need one. And, armor is mage robes plus one of the armor spells. And, as I don't sneak at all, I am able to get through the dungeons much faster than before.

Early on, I came across spells I wouldn't normally have bothered with, but had no other options and they have turned out great. Fury would be one of the most annoying spells to have cast on my group and I am using it constantly to have bandits kill one another. Then, Raise Zombie does a good job of having them fight their dead friend again.
Yeah, I find myself chugging those like cans of soda now, and it's still not enough! I think that problem will solve itself as I bump up my magicka as I level, and invest in magic saving perks. But for right now, my magic runs out way too quickly.

Still, learning strategies and how to effectively utilize my spells feels... well, like I'm actually learning to be a mage. Being a magic user is so much more satisfying than being a brute, since you have to think on your feet, be agile and use your powers effectively.

Also, I am actually getting into character this time. My last character was a rough facsimile of me, so I just did what I would do in that situation. This time, I made a rough copy of my wife. And I am doing what I think she would do.
Hell I even have her change into a dress when I get into town, and I got her a pair of shoes so she'd look nice in her dress. Yeah, she would care about that, so I did it... look baby, I'm role playing!

I also am taking my sweet time this time since the pressure to see everything and do everything is off. I sat down in the Whiterun inn the other night, in the balcony, watching people living and listening to them talk. It was very relaxing. The music, the talk, all had me feeling content. I even overheard the inn owner telling an employee that they needed more Honningbrew mead, and that she wanted them to go get more the next day.
I actually felt like these people were living their lives, doing the day to day things to get by. So in short, this play-through feels like I'm living a life in Skyrim, rather than playing a game, trying to accomplish goals and get achievements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menage View Post
I wish this game would at least split up the saves per character. This is the second time I overwrite something. Stuuupppiiidd wine.
I have been careful not to save over the 180 hour save file that my main is on. Still, I fear some day I may accidentally copy over it. So I'm gonna make a backup copy on the internal MU.

Last edited by Wolvie; 01-15-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #1987
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphahat View Post
I made a mage with the intention of burning Skyrim to the ground, but that changed when I stopped in the first mine that appears on your map as you walk out of Helgen. I found the Fury spell in there. It is marvelous. Room after room, Bandits killed their own friends not knowing what they were doing as I sneakily hid in the shadows. I kept dumping my perks into Illusion to strengthen the spell and expand the variety of enemies Frenzy works against almost exclusively. The only downside is that Illusion doesn't do jack shit against Dragons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menage View Post
Every time I switch characters, I make three copies of the latest save. I overwrote something once, and it was sad.
Current Projects
Reverant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #1988
Clark
I would.

While at church this morning, my 3-year old son tugged on my shirt and handed me something he had been drawing for the past ten minutes.

"Daddy, this side is you killing the giant in Sky-Rim. The other side is the cave where you beat those witches."

The guy in the pew in front of us had to cover his mouth to keep from laughing out loud.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #1989
Narradisall
Cookies

That's awesome. I would have been that guy in the pew.

A girl I barely know (friend of a friend met over the weekend) dropped a Skyrim related comment into a casual conversation, knowing full well none of her friends would pick up on it, and I smiled and nearly burst out laughing. She knew I knew just from my reaction.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #1990
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

So...um...why is my courier nude all of a sudden?

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #1991
Entropy
Banned

at least he didn't say "your mouth only"
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #1992
Grifter
Cognified

I just can't seem to beat this fricken' game. 266 hours and I finally just finished up the Empire VS Skyrim quest line and I know I'm almost done with the main quest I just keep getting side tracked by either new mods or new quests/unexplored areas. Even though I know damn well I'm not going to find any areas that don't look almost exactly the same as every other area I've explored nor am I going to find any new loot worth using and I have more money than I can spend but I just keep playing anyway... I need help ... ... somebody?

All About Martial Arts
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #1993
Entropy
Banned

Sounds awesome to me!
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #1994
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Guys. Guys. GUYS.

What.

...Yay? (Thank you RockPaperShotgun)

(crossposted from the mod thread because everyone needs to see it. i'm so sorry.)
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there. </Whore>
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #1995
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

That is horrifying.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #1996
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

I always hated My Little Pony. Now I hate them even more. Death to the dragon ponies!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #1997
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

My main character is now married(to Sylgja), and semi-retired from adventuring. Well, until the first DLC comes out.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #1998
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

So I started playing it on the PS3 with my son. Made a Nord with a mohawk. Then he wanted me to use an Axe.

I'm in love. I think I'm gonna start a thing with it...like MS Paint Adventures, only...better.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #1999
Wilkz07
blarg?

In the first city, river...something I talked to a guy who said give a note to a girl.. Another guy I spoke to said give the same note but say its from him... Where is this girl? I'm pretty sure I've been all over the town and can't find the person
Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #2000
Banacek
Crybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkz07 View Post
In the first city, river...something I talked to a guy who said give a note to a girl.. Another guy I spoke to said give the same note but say its from him... Where is this girl? I'm pretty sure I've been all over the town and can't find the person
Go into the menu and you will see the task under Miscellaneous, select it and a map pointer will show up telling you where to go.
Banacek is offline   Reply With Quote