welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 09-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #41
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Look, if it must be an FPS, then I say do something original instead of just using a name. All you're gonna do is piss off fans of the original, and new fans could not care less either way.
That doesn't make any sense though. As its a fact that many of the devs are fans themselves and instead of burying a property just so they don't bruise the fragile memories of the past versus TRY to get something awesome out there and hey if they are fans and making it that way, they are going to do what they can to knock it out of the park. Fans are just buyers of games.

DO we know a dev team that sets out to make shit? No. Well...at least truthfully, our own jadedness not withstanding.

I don't think you are honestly saying that you would rather have them NOT make a game, in a game world you like, just because you aren't looking at the top of your characters head right? I mean, that's the same logic as people bagging on Halo Wars because it was an RTS. If a game sucks bag on it when it sucks, but man bagging on it before its out just seems like sandlot fighting.

Are you saying that somehow new fans won't care about an awesome game set in a great world. Syndicate wasn't just cool because it was fun, it had an amazing world. New fans, WILL care about that.

In my opinion, if we as gamers have become so inflexible that we would rather have someone NOT make a game, simply because it doesn't have the same control scheme, camera view as something from technology 6 generations ago...then we don't deserve any kind of good games anyway. Because thats just fucking sad.

Let them try. Then again I liked the new Metroid games.

Then again, as you said in another thread. I am a games enthusiast through and through Perhaps to my own timeloss. But damn I get to play a fuckton of amazing stuff.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax

Last edited by Karak; 09-11-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #42
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
That doesn't make any sense though. As its a fact that many of the devs are fans themselves and instead of burying a property just so they don't bruise the fragile memories of the past versus TRY to get something awesome out there.

DO we know a dev team that sets out to make shit? No.

I don't think you are honestly saying that you would rather have them NOT make a game, in a game world you like, just because you aren't looking at the top of your characters head right? I mean, that's the same logic as people bagging on Halo Wars because it was an RTS.
With XCOM it isn't just the genre. It's the era. It's the tech. It's the 'aliens' if you can call them that. It's everything except for research and a lite sprinkling of strategy as to not confound the COD peeps who will buy this. It's not XCOM. They gutted the franchise and replaced it with shit I don't want. I do not buy shit I do not want. So therefor I will not buy it. The end.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #43
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
With XCOM it isn't just the genre. It's the era. It's the tech. It's the 'aliens' if you can call them that. It's everything except for research and a lite sprinkling of strategy as to not confound the COD peeps who will buy this. It's not XCOM. They gutted the franchise and replaced it with shit I don't want. I do not buy shit I do not want. So therefor I will not buy it. The end.
I have not played it yet. I can't speak on it.

But what I am saying, is despite if I "like something or dislike it" wanting someone to just not make it is borderline.

I do look forward to playing XCom soon. I wasn't even aware it was out but I am way behind on game releases. Needless to say its all in what you like of course, I just give everything a chance.

Last edited by Karak; 09-11-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #44
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
I have not played it yet. I can't speak on it.

But what I am saying, is despite if I "like something or dislike it" wanting someone to just not make it is borderline.
I won't play it so I will never speak on it. Like I said before, FPS not FPS, just me something that appeals to me and I'll buy it. The upcoming FPS XCOM does not appeal to me in any way. That's pretty much all I have to say.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #45
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
I won't play it so I will never speak on it. Like I said before, FPS not FPS, just me something that appeals to me and I'll buy it. The upcoming FPS XCOM does not appeal to me in any way. That's pretty much all I have to say.
Confused...I thought you just said...
Sorry I am confused I misread something somewhere. I thought you had played it or something.

Anyway ya each to their own.

But I wasn't talking at all about appeal. I was talking about letting someone try. 2 totally different things.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #46
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Confused...I thought you just said...
Sorry I am confused I misread something somewhere. I thought you had played it or something.

Anyway ya each to their own.

But I wasn't talking at all about appeal. I was talking about letting someone try. 2 totally different things.
Oh no, XCOM comes out Feb. next year. Anyways, they can can and will try, but will not have my support. I'm just not interested in this new XCOM. When I see something more in line with the look and feel of the original? Then they will have my support.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #47
bryan
Colonist

Excited for this, and disappointed at the same time that the overhead isometric view isn't coming back. I suppose it'll never come back as a AAA title, only indie and 15 dollar games. Kinda sad to realize this.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #48
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Oh hey we should all like everything ever because it's getting made. Like totally.

I love anti-complainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #49
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
Oh hey we should all like everything ever because it's getting made. Like totally.

I love anti-complainers.
Not a single person in the thread wrote this though.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #50
Ancalagon
Colonist

I'd be fine with a Syndicate FPS so long as:
1. It still has squad management - I want multiple goons on my team dammit!
2. It still has research, inventories and squad customization. I want everyone carrying gauss guns and energy shields dammit!

If it doesnt have those two things, its not syndicate to me. Its just a sci fi FPS with RPG elements. Given how the main character is supposed to be able to control time and the like, I doubt it will have squad management in it all. Why not just call it Deus Ex - The Other Game. Thats what its going to be essentially. If I were an interviewer, the questions I would be asking Starbreeze would be "Have you ever played Deus Ex?", "What parts of Deus Ex inspired you to make this game?" and "Did you license Deus Ex to make this game?"

I mean... its a single player FPS with RPG elements in which the main character is an augmented human with powerful abilities, set in the near future where corporations dominate the Earth. Does that sound like Deus Ex to you?

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be

Last edited by Ancalagon; 09-12-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Ancalagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #51
bryan
Colonist

Yeah some squad based element would be required. I hope they keep this in mind.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #52
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Quote:
Not a single person in the thread wrote this though.
I wrote that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #53
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
In my opinion, if we as gamers have become so inflexible that we would rather have someone NOT make a game, simply because it doesn't have the same control scheme, camera view as something from technology 6 generations ago...then we don't deserve any kind of good games anyway. Because thats just fucking sad.

Let them try. Then again I liked the new Metroid games.

Then again, as you said in another thread. I am a games enthusiast through and through Perhaps to my own timeloss. But damn I get to play a fuckton of amazing stuff.
Metroid Prime simply did a camera angle swap. They kept EVERYTHING that made Metroid awesome. Everything. And that worked since it ended up being one of the best games in the series. The new XCOM has almost nothing from the originals, and is getting genre swapped. That's a double whammy right there.
Ya see this isn't about controls or cameras. It's about not being true to the series. When you can't even recognize a game for what it's supposed to be, that's just bad choices.

The guys that are working on this so-called XCOM need to take notes from Metroid Prime. That is how it's done. Years from now I hope schools like Full Sail use that as an example of how NOT to do a remake. Remember guys, if the fans can't recognize what the fuck you're making, and it barely resembles the original, you failed.

Anyways, I am now going back into pretending-this-game-doesn't-exist mode.

Edit: Also, don't anybody give me that line of BS "but they are trying something different!" If you wanna make something completely different and new, make your own IP. Don't dig up an old dead beloved game, remove 99% of what made it what it was, replace it all, and then slap an XCOM name-tag on it and try to pass it off on us. That's just a dick move.

Want another good example of a good reboot? Star Trek. Nuff said.

Double Edit: OK, I will stop the derail. I got that off my chest. Back to Syndicate folks.

Last edited by Wolvie; 09-12-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #54
bryan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
I wrote that.
So you were pre-empting them by complaining first! Good work!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #55
Narradisall
Cookies

muddi is the machiavelli of internet arguements.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #56
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
Karak has it right. They're not making these into FPS' to rape our childhoods, they're doing it because shooters are the only genre which sells consistently enough to support a AAA retail game. Strategy games - at least the ones which don't have -arcraft in the name - don't sell enough to justify the budgets. I think this will be good because as others have pointed out, Starbreeze is a good developer and it sounds like they're trying to make it a slightly less generic FPS.

Personally I'd rather see EA give Syndicate to a small studio and have them make a downloadable game, but that's not how they do business.
This is a sad fact of the state of gaming today. The flood of FPS titles is one of the reasons I've moved more and more into indie/small studio gaming, as the FPS genre is one of my least favorites, with a few exceptions.

I disagree with what you said about strategy games, however. Starcraft isn't the only strategy series that sells well. Sins of a Solar Empire and Civilization 5 sold well, and I'm sure there are other examples.

Yes, I know Sins didn't sell 5 million copies, but it made a healthy profit. Clearly something is wrong with the gaming industry when only a few titles, the same ones year after year (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, and a few others), are what the publishers are willing to bank on. Maybe we'll get another crash that will clear out all the chaff.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #57
Ancalagon
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Yes, I know Sins didn't sell 5 million copies, but it made a healthy profit. Clearly something is wrong with the gaming industry when only a few titles, the same ones year after year (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, and a few others), are what the publishers are willing to bank on. Maybe we'll get another crash that will clear out all the chaff.
I feel the same way and would also like another video game industry crash. I dont think its a healthy industry right now.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #58
MagGnome

Quote:
Metroid Prime simply did a camera angle swap. They kept EVERYTHING that made Metroid awesome. Everything. And that worked since it ended up being one of the best games in the series. The new XCOM has almost nothing from the originals, and is getting genre swapped. That's a double whammy right there.
Ya see this isn't about controls or cameras. It's about not being true to the series. When you can't even recognize a game for what it's supposed to be, that's just bad choices.
Well said. There's a difference between a game being played from a first-person perspective and a game being an FPS. Morrowind is first-person, but not an FPS, just to cite one example.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #59
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
I feel the same way and would also like another video game industry crash. I dont think its a healthy industry right now.
The "AAA" part of the industry seems very unstable to me, and has for the last 5-8 years. Many of the big publishers are barely getting by from year to year, and the ones that are the most successful make the vast majority of their profits from one or two titles. This isn't healthy at all. Thankfully the indie market has expanded exponentially to fill the void. I think that the big publishers will consolidate further and further until there are maybe 5 of them left across the globe. They've been heading rather quickly in that direction for some time now.

Activision is the most obvious example. They've ground nearly all of their IP to dust. They would have nothing but Call of Duty at this point if they hadn't merged with Blizzard. UbiSoft seems determined to piss off more and more of their customers every year, and EA seems to go in cycles of creativity and boredom.

Last edited by MagGnome; 09-12-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #60
Ancalagon
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
The "AAA" part of the industry seems very unstable to me, and has for the last 5-8 years. Many of the big publishers are barely getting by from year to year, and the ones that are the most successful make the vast majority of their profits from one or two titles. This isn't healthy at all. Thankfully the indie market has expanded exponentially to fill the void. I think that the big publishers will consolidate further and further until there are maybe 5 of them left across the globe. They've been heading rather quickly in that direction for some time now.

Activision is the most obvious example. They've ground nearly all of their IP to dust. They would have nothing but Call of Duty at this point if they hadn't merged with Blizzard. UbiSoft seems determined to piss off more and more of their customers every year, and EA seems to go in cycles of creativity and boredom.
Are you a clone of me?

I agree completely. They invest heavily in a few games, and hope that at least one of them makes it so that they can break even. Hence the need for DLC to turn a profit - if it wasnt for DLC, I think a lot of them would have gone bust by now. I dont think its sustainable, so I support the indie gaming industry.