welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > CoG Features

Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #61
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
No more than Netflix has abused me. I think as OnLive matures (and streaming in general matures) the pricing model will streamline, as well as the terms of ownership. Let's say full retail gives you a physical copy (or at least the chance to download a copy yourself), but most people use the Netflix style model where they get all the titles they want to play for a monthly rate. Only buy the ones you know you want to keep forever (which for me, honestly, is maybe 1 or 2 titles).
Netflix doesn't charge you per title though. I know Onlive has a "buffet" service as well, but how many newer games are really on it?

I think comparing Netflix to OnLive is a little flawed. I love Netflix, as I can get any movie I want for one flat fee per month. OnLive doesn't offer that. Furthermore, were they to offer that sort of service, I can't even imagine how much it would cost. 50+ a month?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #62
Bone
Terribad at game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Netflix doesn't charge you per title though. I know Onlive has a "buffet" service as well, but how many newer games are really on it?

I think comparing Netflix to OnLive is a little flawed. I love Netflix, as I can get any movie I want for one flat fee per month. OnLive doesn't offer that. Furthermore, were they to offer that sort of service, I can't even imagine how much it would cost. 50+ a month?
Well, sure, but nobody is doing this model for games yet so I needed something similar to compare to. And, Netflix certainly does not offer nearly as many new movies as most of us want on their streaming service. That's been a common complaint since day one.

Anyway, my point was that this model has a way to go. Currently, the 5-day rental from OnLive would satisfy most of my gaming needs. Or I'd just rent another 5 days. I really don't like owning single-player PC games- I don't tend to play them again until 5-10 years later, at which point I am pretty sure they will be on some download service anyway (or at least, that's what recent history has shown me).

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #63
MagGnome

Fair enough. I'm glad this option is available for those who want it. It isn't for me, and I hope it doesn't supplant the current model for a long time to come, if ever, but again I'm glad it's there for those who see a use for it.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #64
Bone
Terribad at game

So what model would you prefer? They currently offer a game purchase option, but they don't give you a download option to own it. So I agree, that should be either cheaper, or allow a hard copy, or maybe both.

I just think the time is ripe to step away from conventional pricing models for digital services, and I think it's true of music, movies, games, and even apps. I think the marketplace in even 10 years will look very different.

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #65
Psykoboy2
Enigma Of The Mystical

Send a message via AIM to Psykoboy2 Send a message via MSN to Psykoboy2 Send a message via Skype™ to Psykoboy2
10 years?

I'd say 5. In fact, I think a big deal in that change will come from whatever Microsoft and Sony decide to do. They won't give up the physical copy part of it, but will they really embrace the digital part of it?

They already have with movies.
Psykoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #66
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
So what model would you prefer? They currently offer a game purchase option, but they don't give you a download option to own it. So I agree, that should be either cheaper, or allow a hard copy, or maybe both.

I just think the time is ripe to step away from conventional pricing models for digital services, and I think it's true of music, movies, games, and even apps. I think the marketplace in even 10 years will look very different.
For games I prefer the Steam/DD model. The games are right there on my computer, and the heavy competition in the DD space leads to plenty of sales. It works very well for me. I own over 280 games on Steam, and I only paid "full price" for a few of them.

Steam is a better choice for me. Again, I can see why OnLive appeals to some people. It's just not for me at this time.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #67
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

What if Steam were to purchase OnLive, or create their own streaming option? OOooo?

Hmm, Upstate NY here, kind of far away from VA, and getting 3.77M Down and .97 Up. Might have to play this a bit and see what happens.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #68
MagGnome

I'd be fine with that, as I'd have both options through the service.

I'm not against OnLive as a company or anything, that would be ridiculous. I just don't like the idea of paying full price for games that are entirely in the "cloud".
Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #69
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I'd be fine with that, as I'd have both options through the service.

I'm not against OnLive as a company or anything, that would be ridiculous. I just don't like the idea of paying full price for games that are entirely in the "cloud".
Onlive has 5 dollar weekends almost every weekend and you don't own Steam games. EVER. Though I see where you are coming from. Games in the cloud are sadly the future sir it is inevitable as the seasons.

Gamertag: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #70
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Onlive has 5 dollar weekends almost every weekend and you don't own Steam games. EVER. Though I see where you are coming from. Games in the cloud are sadly the future sir it is inevitable as the seasons.
You're an enabler!

Just kidding.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #71
Stmfuller
Actually Graduated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot Wakorb View Post
That seems like a bleak outlook - it is young and growing, and the publishers are on-board as piracy on this platform isn't really possible.
Trust me, it's not bleak. It's just that in the past I've usually been the harbinger of DOOM when it comes to technology.

examples:
Dreamcast: 6 months after I bought one...they killed it
MiniDisc players: well, one could argue that was a niche product anyway, but I had one.
WebOS: I had a preplus...

etc.

I'm going to hold off true judgement on this until it's a mature product, but it's going to need an audience in order to push forward.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #72
Trebor
Colonist

Send a message via MSN to Trebor Send a message via Skype™ to Trebor
I love the business model and the whole idea of streaming games that OnLive offers. Their specials can not be beat, the instantaneous ability to "just play" sure beat having to either load up a game or download it, and the Play Pack just keeps getting offering a larger and larger selection of games. But most of all, the cost for the Microconsole and wireless controller is beats out anything that Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo could possible offer.