welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 08-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #21
Mr.Tortle
Got stomped on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
I haven't found anywhere yet with these at the $99 price. I'm tempted though. I love a good techtoy. It was going to be a Dingoo A320 or a GP2X, but this is a tempting idea.
It's supposed to start August 20th. Bestbuy Canada and Futureshop jumped the gun and offered today. you should be able to get it for 99$ for the 16 gig and 149 for the 32 gig.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/l...n-sale-for-99/
Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #22
Vigil80
Colonist

I'd be willing to bet that someone will start doing some aftermarket work for these after this sale. Sort of like Cyanogen, or some of the projects to hack Android onto old Win 6.5 smartphones.

I wonder how fast these will go. Is it safe to go to bed? I'd hold out for the 64GB model if I thought they had made enough for any kind of mass release.

Last edited by Vigil80; 08-20-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Vigil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #23
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

I wouldn't want android on it.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #24
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

Now, put Haiku on it, and we'll talk.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #25
Vigil80
Colonist

Call me cheap, but it's a shame this is a fluke. $100-$200 seems like where these things should be normally.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #26
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

I think if the other tablets would stop trying to sell at the same or higher prices than the iPad maybe they'd stop being such a trivial fraction of the market.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #27
Superman's Dead
And Loving Every Minute

Send a message via AIM to Superman's Dead
Quote:
I think if the other tablets would stop trying to sell at the same or higher prices than the iPad maybe they'd stop being such a trivial fraction of the market.
That's interesting. An article I just read that was super critical of HP suggested that trying to undersell Apple isn't working for anyone. To compete you have to try to be just as premium as they are.

I'd love to see someone come in and sell a solid tablet (internet, ebooks, music, video) for 199 right out of the gate, but is that likely to ever be competitive? The article made a great point: people don't shop for tablets, they shop for iPads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm just going to hate everyone, to be safe.
PSN: clarkkentsdead
Superman's Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:17 AM   #28
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman's Dead View Post
That's interesting. An article I just read that was super critical of HP suggested that trying to undersell Apple isn't working for anyone. To compete you have to try to be just as premium as they are.

I'd love to see someone come in and sell a solid tablet (internet, ebooks, music, video) for 199 right out of the gate, but is that likely to ever be competitive? The article made a great point: people don't shop for tablets, they shop for iPads.
See, but trying to ride the same premium as the iPad is exactly what everyone's been doing, except the Nook Color, and so far as I've seen it's the only Android tablet that really seems to be taking off, and that's mostly for people trying to escape the high prices of stuff like the Touchpad and the Xoom.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #29
Banacek
Crybaby

Honestly a fool wouldn't buy one of these for $99. I hope there is one available tomorrow morning.
Banacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #30
Vigil80
Colonist

Quote:
That's interesting. An article I just read that was super critical of HP suggested that trying to undersell Apple isn't working for anyone.
Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but who has tried? $500 for an unproven product is not "underselling" a $600 iPad, in my opinion.
Quote:
The article made a great point: people don't shop for tablets, they shop for iPads.
Again, maybe I'm not paying enough attention or maybe I'm up too late, but I don't think I understand this point.
Quote:
I'd love to see someone come in and sell a solid tablet (internet, ebooks, music, video) for 199 right out of the gate, but is that likely to ever be competitive?
I don't know, I'm seeing more and more buzz about the TouchPad now that it's hit rock bottom. To quote Gary Whitta's twitter, "People are going crazy for $99 TouchPads. It's amazing how popular an unpopular item becomes once it's super-cheap."

A solid tablet with a decently supported OS that's priced in Earth dollars? I can't compute why that wouldn't have a market.

Last edited by Vigil80; 08-20-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #31
Superman's Dead
And Loving Every Minute

Send a message via AIM to Superman's Dead
I'll just link you to the article because I cannot answer any questions put forward on my own.
http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...n-suspect.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm just going to hate everyone, to be safe.
PSN: clarkkentsdead
Superman's Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #32
resikel
The real Kate Upton

Quote:
Apple's early strategy was to lock in component suppliers and manufacturers. This forced the other competitors to go third tier or other sources that cost more.

So for example, hardware for hardware, an iPad cost less to make than its competitors which in turn, gives Apple a bigger profit margin. The others having to compete at Apple's price level are actually either dramatically reducing their profit margins or losing money just to gain market shares.
resikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #33
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

Quote:
Again, maybe I'm not paying enough attention or maybe I'm up too late, but I don't think I understand this point.
Normal people don't go into the Best Buy to buy a tablet. They go in to buy an iPad.

Which means to get them to try something else, they have to be willing to settle for it, and they're not gonna settle for something that's the same price or even $100 more than the thing they want.

I carry my iPad with me quite a lot of places, and I have never possessed a device that draws more passing comments and interest than this blasted thing. It honestly gets a bit annoying, everyone asks about it.

People want the iPad. They really don't care about anything else, unless they see it's cheap enough and looks like kind of the same thing, then they might give it a shot.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #34
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

I think Amazon is planning on finally releasing their android kindle and it's rumored to be cheap. That could shake things up.

HP didn't cater to developers and they should have sold at a loss. It's crazy but it's like when Sony was dominating shit with the PS2 and the Xbox had to pump more juice into and sell at a loss. Touchpad doesn't have more juice but it could have helped there user base. I really wanted one until i seen them bring up the Apple type pricetag.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:49 AM   #35
Vigil80
Colonist

Strange. Over the last hour or so, I've watched Amazon's stock of the 16GB dwindle from apparently 10 to 1, but the price has stayed at $399. Either something is not showing up correctly, or 9 people are going to be very mad at themselves tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #36
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

Jeebus. This 99$ thing is gonna sellout before anywhere I can actually get them changes the price. This is ridiculous.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #37
resikel
The real Kate Upton

I think you can order from HP's site.
resikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #38
Vigil80
Colonist

Not at the moment, seems.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #39
Banacek
Crybaby

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's not available on their site to me.
Banacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 AM   #40
Vigil80
Colonist

Pics or it didn't happen indeed. The internet's got us trained, Banacek.