welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #361
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
That makes me really happy to hear, because I wanted so badly to love CR and I just couldn't.

I need to sell my CR copy cheap somewhere and pick up Drizzt.
You and me both. My wife sold my copy finally on Amazon yesterday. Try there!

It was a heartfelt moment. I always feel like I am giving up on a game but as she said to me,"Some games are worth giving up on!"

Drizzt isn't just CR 2.0. It really is a better game all around.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #362
Camel
The Dude abides.

Played a game tonight.

An awesome game.

It's called Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre. If that name sounds hilarious to you, then I can pretty much guarantee you'll love the game.

Here are some other reasons you might love it:

1) The characters have great names. Today I played as Balnazzar the Slag Genie, while a friend played as Pisstor the Pissed Wizard (or something like that). My wife had some warrior princess riding a "furycorn."

2) It comes with a big cardboard punch-out of Mount Skullzfyre, which has absolutely no use in the game.

3) Killing other players does not completely eliminate them from the game. They continue to collect special cards that they can play at the beginning of the next round.

4) It's relatively cheap, stupidly funny, and this is what the cover of the box looks like:

Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #363
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Like the look Camel but the reviews, though not bad, make me think I will hold off until it has a tiny bit more meat to it. It is my style though, for sure. Love the way you put the spells together.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #364
Iron Past
Clem - shhh.

I'd start a new thread, but it probably wouldn't have a big enough following. Has anyone looked at Thunderstone Advance? I was marginally annoyed--actually, pretty annoyed--that I finally pulled the trigger and ordered Dragonspire and Wrath of the Elements a couple days before I found AEG was releasing this, but oh well.

It's supposed to be a newer version of the game with clearer more refined rules and a couple more mechanics. The cards have been redone as well. They say the old cards are compatible with this one, but it would drive me insane that the layout was different and some things just don't quite fit, like monster levels. From what I've read it's mostly the same old Thunderstone, though.

Anyway, I'm looking to see if anyone in my area has the advanced copies on sale, and I suppose I'll keep the OG game and this separate, or try to sell the other cards or something. I assume AEG will be focusing on this going forward, but it's hard to tell right now. Official release is some time next week.

Last edited by Iron Past; 03-04-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Iron Past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #365
Blue
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Past View Post
I'd start a new thread, but it probably wouldn't have a big enough following. Has anyone looked at Thunderstone Advance? I was marginally annoyed--actually, pretty annoyed--that I finally pulled the trigger and ordered Dragonspire and Wrath of the Elements a couple days before I found AEG was releasing this, but oh well.

It's supposed to be a newer version of the game with clearer more refined rules and a couple more mechanics. The cards have been redone as well. They say the old cards are compatible with this one, but it would drive me insane that the layout was different and some things just don't quite fit, like monster levels. From what I've read it's mostly the same old Thunderstone, though.

Anyway, I'm looking to see if anyone in my area has the advanced copies on sale, and I suppose I'll keep the OG game and this separate, or try to sell the other cards or something. I assume AEG will be focusing on this going forward, but it's hard to tell right now. Official release is some time next week.
I'd be anxious to hear your impressions of Thunderstone. I'm always in need of single player games and, after getting heavily into the LOTR: LCG, I'd love another option.
Steam: 1flyjedi
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #366
Camel
The Dude abides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Like the look Camel but the reviews, though not bad, make me think I will hold off until it has a tiny bit more meat to it. It is my style though, for sure. Love the way you put the spells together.
It is definitely not a meaty game - just something to play for an hour or so, make a bunch of ridiculous-sounding spells, and laugh a bit. We weren't feeling up to anything heavy last night, so it was a great fit.

As for Thunderstone, I would be annoyed too, Iron Past. Thunderstone came out with expansions super fast, and to now completely come out with a new game that is basically the same (soon to be followed by many more expansions, I'm sure) strikes me as...greedy, I guess. I think they are playing up the idea of using old cards in the new game just so people don't get more pissed about having already bought all the old expansions. I wouldn't be able to handle the mixing of card layouts either, though.

Still, I plan on buying it. I actually sold all of my Thunderstone games on ebay before Advance was announced (good timing on my part), and I really like some of the changes they are making (especially the ability to turn your original militia/regulars into a decent hero with the addition of a spear).
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #367
Iron Past
Clem - shhh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'd be anxious to hear your impressions of Thunderstone. I'm always in need of single player games and, after getting heavily into the LOTR: LCG, I'd love another option.
As I understand it, it's a "dungeon crawl" Dominion-type game. Build your hand, try to take on monsters in the dungeon, etc. The Advance rulebook (which you can find on AEG's site) incorporates some past campaign variances, including the solo play rules. I'm anxious to play it.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #368
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Fuck count me as someone who recently got...every single Thunderstone expansion in the last week. Yoinkes.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #369
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Played two games of Catan today as well as one Puerto Rico game.

Where as I dominated Twilight Imperium, I got my ass handed to me today. I lost all three games, and only one of the Catan matches was close.

Once we got Catan down, it was a complete blast. Tons of screwing your neighbor in that game. Oh you need one brick to create a road. No trade for you! Damn robber was the bane of my existence in the second match where I lost. I swear every other turn I would get saddled with it blocking my play. Will be playing more of that for sure.

Puerto Rico was a pita to set up. Manual was only a little helpful in the actual setup. Definitely some lack of explanation, at least to me. Actual play was not hard to get down once we started. Some bad choices on my part and some smart choices on my neighbor's part helped lead me down the wrong path. Note Coffee sells far better than Indigo. Only a little bit of screwing your neighbor in this game, indirectly by your choices. It was okay, will need to revisit it obviously.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #370
NotJeff
Seriously, I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathMaster View Post
Puerto Rico ... Only a little bit of screwing your neighbor in this game, indirectly by your choices. It was okay, will need to revisit it obviously.
There's distinct stages of experience in learning Puerto Rico. You are in stage 1: "What role is best for me?"

Stage 2 is "What role is most better for me relative to my opponents right now", and that has some screw your neighbor in it.

Stage 3 is like Stage 2, but involves looking into the future further, considering who will be governor when and what they want, etc., and it can be very cutthroat.
NotJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #371
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

I agree. I need to give it further play especially with more than two players.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #372
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathMaster View Post
Played two games of Catan today as well as one Puerto Rico game.

Where as I dominated Twilight Imperium, I got my ass handed to me today. I lost all three games, and only one of the Catan matches was close.

Once we got Catan down, it was a complete blast. Tons of screwing your neighbor in that game. Oh you need one brick to create a road. No trade for you! Damn robber was the bane of my existence in the second match where I lost. I swear every other turn I would get saddled with it blocking my play. Will be playing more of that for sure.

Puerto Rico was a pita to set up. Manual was only a little helpful in the actual setup. Definitely some lack of explanation, at least to me. Actual play was not hard to get down once we started. Some bad choices on my part and some smart choices on my neighbor's part helped lead me down the wrong path. Note Coffee sells far better than Indigo. Only a little bit of screwing your neighbor in this game, indirectly by your choices. It was okay, will need to revisit it obviously.
I played about 10 battles in the fighting game one that the poster posted about on the last page. Aside from a couple rules questions its a fun game that expansions could REALLY unlock. I liked the ideas a great deal, and sadly I disagree and adore the new art style. But I also like Neopets so...ya.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #373
LongStepMantis
Waste of good suffering

I somehow never heard of Thunderstone despite being a lover of games with randomized or RPG elements and Dominion. Should I check into scooping up a copy and possibly the expansions, or wait? Someone mentioned a new version either coming out or recently released. I'll reread all the posts later on, but I'm pressed for time at the moment. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshkdmw View Post
Consider the lilies of the field. They toil not, neither do they spin. And they have dick jokes aplenty.
LongStepMantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #374
Blue
Zealot

From what I understand, I'd wait with the new one hitting. That's what I'm doing, at least.
Steam: 1flyjedi
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #375
Iron Past
Clem - shhh.

That's right, I'd wait. Official release is March 12, but if you have a good local game store, you might be able to find an early copy with the mini-expansion included. You can also play older cards with newer rules, if you need more. Thunderstone Advance is the new release, btw.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #376
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Had an excellent game of Catan last night. Well actually two games, but the first I lost resoundingly. Mostly due to the other players, and me learning their maneuvers and dealing with them being used to the old rules. I have the newest version, and they liked and disliked some rules. So it was a game of figuring out what worked for them. I was amenable to them.

Second game was four players, and was very good. Randomized board made it hard for wheat to be available for much of the games. Brick too were a pain to get. The three of them tried hard, but I was able to block them from my area quickly and early on. I also blocked them from going the way they wanted to protect my interests, so HAH!

I guess next time they want to teach me Palace?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #377
Karak
Press Start to Begin

So today the new Risk 2166(or whatever the year is) game arrived, as well as Talisman 4th edition and all the expansions. I admit it was painful to move from 2nd edition talisman. So many memories and rules I like. But the board, cards, and pieces were almost dead from use.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #378
drobvice
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
So today the new Risk 2166(or whatever the year is) game arrived, as well as Talisman 4th edition and all the expansions. I admit it was painful to move from 2nd edition talisman. So many memories and rules I like. But the board, cards, and pieces were almost dead from use.
Did you ever try Risk Legacy? Sounds awesome to me.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #379
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobvice View Post
Did you ever try Risk Legacy? Sounds awesome to me.
No. I read some reviews and what at first seemed awesome, started to REALLY push me away from it. Then I asked the local gamers here and they all were in agreement it sounds far far better than it works.

Pass for me.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #380
Iron Past
Clem - shhh.

Spent the afternoon sorting my Thunderstone Advance set. I got an out of town extension a local game store to send one to the store hear, and they were kind enough to even include the promotional Avatar cards. I'll spend the evening going through the rule set.