welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > All Things Sports

Old 01-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #1021
Felonous
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
I am disgusted at the attitudes being presented here, and glad that Dana would never let something as petty as this happen in the UFC.
But Dana would also never allow a fighter to be paid 30 million for a fight. The UFC fighters are notoriously underpaid for the amount of money that the UFC is making off of them.

Luckily for the fighters, there is already talks among them to form a fighters union.
Felonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #1022
Lance Uppercut
hurf durf

Fighter salary is definitely an unfortunate sticking point, but the reason the UFC is doing as well as it has is it avoids most of the drama, thus letting the best matchups possible happen, and just letting the fighters fight as often as they can.

And at least they're making money. Boxing is top-heavy, meaning only the best fighters make 90% of the money and the exposure. If salaries are relatively lower in MMA, it's because it's still a growing sport, but salaries are also more relatively evenly distributed than in boxing.

A fighters union would be great, but I think it's still a few years away. MMA is still in its teens, but I see it getting as mainstream as boxing was in the 80s when more people start to understand it.
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #1023
cassiusregicide
Philosopher King

Not to mention that boxing is a much more unforgiving sport. You can't afford more then a loss and sometimes no losses if you really want to make it big anymore. A bad performance early in your career can end your shot at being a champion and getting the big payday.
cassiusregicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #1024
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

They really need something a new system of paying. I don't know what it's called but basically winner makes this, loser makes this. Fight. Not big name makes 20 million win or lose, and contender makes little money for winning. Don't pay them to sign the paper, you want the money, then come to fight.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #1025
Lance Uppercut
hurf durf

The UFC typically pays out much more money in "locker room bonuses" so if a challenger who makes less money happens to beat a bigger name or performs admirably, they'll make more money than what's reported to the athletic commission.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #1026
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
They really need something a new system of paying. I don't know what it's called but basically winner makes this, loser makes this. Fight. Not big name makes 20 million win or lose, and contender makes little money for winning. Don't pay them to sign the paper, you want the money, then come to fight.
Lets be honest Xerxes, the UFC needs "Random Animals"

It would be called FMRA, or Fight My Random Animal.
A fighter goes in, and a randomized set of animals would be released.
Sometimes nothing but a couple angry chipmunks, or perhaps a rabid wolverine, or a set of Vampire Bats(have to put a top on the cage), or a Platypus with their sharp foreleg stingers and horribly painful poison.

Then it would be worth it and those guys would deserve to get paid MILLIONS.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #1027
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Quote:
I disagree, I think the system for payment is great in the UFC. They get paid based on their popularity and ability to draw a crowd. If you aren't such a known fighter, then finish a fight spectacularly, get that 60k bonus and then voila, you have made a bigger name for yourself and expect a bigger paycheck the next bout.

It forces everyone to work for a victory and get out there to make a name for yourself. And BTW, NO ONE in UFC makes 20 million a fight, not even close.
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.
Wackman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #1028
Lance Uppercut
hurf durf

Shinya Aoki update:

Quote:
Shinya Aoki has been removed as an instructor at the Paraestra Tokyo in Japan for his antics following his win on New Year's Eve at Dynamite!! 2009.

Yuki Nakai, the general manager of Paraestra, announced Aoki's dismissal on the gym's website and apologized on behalf of the camp for anyone's discomfort from watching Aoki's "inappropriate behavior."

Last week, Aoki was forced to break Mizuto Hirota's humerus bone in his right arm when the Sengoku lightweight champion refused to tap. But instead of checking on his injured opponent, Aoki stood over Hirota, trash talked and offered a middle finger.

On Thursday, Sengoku and the Japan Association of Athletics Federations urged DREAM to take disciplinary action against Aoki to discourage such behavior from others in the future.

Aoki, who will continue to train and represent the gym, added to Nakai's statement by saying that he sincerely apologizes and will avoid such "unsportsmanlike conduct" in the future.
For those not familiar with the name Yuki Nakai, the guy is a Shooto legend. In his last tournament, he was intentionally eye gouged by Gerard Gordeau, a man infamous for biting Royce Gracie in the ear before getting armbarred for his bullshit in UFC 1. Nakai won the match by submission, but permanently lost sight in his right eye, effectively ending his career. If anybody is gonna be pissed at Aoki's antics, it's gonna be Nakai, and I'm glad he dealt out some much-needed discipline to a stablemate.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #1029
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Lets be honest Xerxes, the UFC needs "Random Animals"

It would be called FMRA, or Fight My Random Animal.
A fighter goes in, and a randomized set of animals would be released.
Sometimes nothing but a couple angry chipmunks, or perhaps a rabid wolverine, or a set of Vampire Bats(have to put a top on the cage), or a Platypus with their sharp foreleg stingers and horribly painful poison.

Then it would be worth it and those guys would deserve to get paid MILLIONS.
Dude, if I could organize a animal fight royale. I'm talking about a March Madness 64 chart of all the baddest beasts from around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackman3000 View Post
I disagree, I think the system for payment is great in the UFC. They get paid based on their popularity and ability to draw a crowd. If you aren't such a known fighter, then finish a fight spectacularly, get that 60k bonus and then voila, you have made a bigger name for yourself and expect a bigger paycheck the next bout.

It forces everyone to work for a victory and get out there to make a name for yourself. And BTW, NO ONE in UFC makes 20 million a fight, not even close.
I was talking about boxers. UFC pay is still like boxcar bum fights in comparison I reckon. <shrug>
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
Old 01-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #1030
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Quote:
Dude, if I could organize a animal fight royale. I'm talking about a March Madness 64 chart of all the baddest beasts from around the world.

I was talking about boxers. UFC pay is still like boxcar bum fights in comparison I reckon. <shrug>
ahhh, well then ya, I agree completely.
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #1031
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
ahhh, well then ya, I agree completely.
But like you say, there system keep them hungry for bigger fights. I would probably say they should get a little more money fighting but who knows. Could end up like boxing. <shrug> It's just they fight until they are knocked out. I don't know if hundreds of punches to the head, if not thousands, is all that better than being a mma fighter.
ArmoredXerxes

Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #1032
Sandman
Libratorr

Apparently Brock Lesnar is 100% healed and will be fighting again this summer...described as a miracle recovery by Dana White on Sportscenter. His first fight will be against the winner of Mir vs Carwin. I'm looking forward to Brock vs Mir III.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #1033
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Apparently Brock Lesnar is 100% healed and will be fighting again this summer...described as a miracle recovery by Dana White on Sportscenter. His first fight will be against the winner of Mir vs Carwin. I'm looking forward to Brock vs Mir III.
Me too. If they engage in a bearhug someone can lick the ring and gain 50 pounds instantly from the roidsweat.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #1034
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

As much as I hate the guy, it's good to hear he is recovering from what seemed like a serious illness. Now let's hope he can get back to training and let's see some moves start to happen in the HW division.

As boring as the division once was, it really seems like they are slowly getting a good chunk of solid fighters to finally make the HW division something exciting again. Mir beefed up bigtime and is ready to take back what's his, Dos Santos is a machine, Carwin has hands, Nogueira is well, Nogueira and you could even toss Velasquez and Congo into the mix as well.

It makes me yearn for the days of the Pride GP tournaments. Oh how awesome of an event would it be to see the HW division compete in an 8 man extravaganza? It takes a serious fighter to be able to fight 3 times in a night, and I think it would easily be one of the biggest and best UFC events in history. The UFC has the talent, they have the promotion and I think they are finally on the ball in terms of production values. They could do it up big, and really bring the organization to the forefront of professional sports.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #1035
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
As much as I hate the guy, it's good to hear he is recovering from what seemed like a serious illness. Now let's hope he can get back to training and let's see some moves start to happen in the HW division.

As boring as the division once was, it really seems like they are slowly getting a good chunk of solid fighters to finally make the HW division something exciting again. Mir beefed up bigtime and is ready to take back what's his, Dos Santos is a machine, Carwin has hands, Nogueira is well, Nogueira and you could even toss Velasquez and Congo into the mix as well.

It makes me yearn for the days of the Pride GP tournaments. Oh how awesome of an event would it be to see the HW division compete in an 8 man extravaganza? It takes a serious fighter to be able to fight 3 times in a night, and I think it would easily be one of the biggest and best UFC events in history. The UFC has the talent, they have the promotion and I think they are finally on the ball in terms of production values. They could do it up big, and really bring the organization to the forefront of professional sports.
It and I loved the early UFC's that did no weight class. But I think both ideas are not as "American" as we think. Though it sounds good, sometimes just a couple fights, hyped to no end allows people to track easier. As a fight fat I personally would love a ton, but I could see many people getting burnout.

It also seemed like I remember a good amount of people dropping out due to injuries in the first couple UFC's. Or does my memory fail? And some of those injuries you just couldn't battle through in the same night.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #1036
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
It and I loved the early UFC's that did no weight class. But I think both ideas are not as "American" as we think. Though it sounds good, sometimes just a couple fights, hyped to no end allows people to track easier. As a fight fat I personally would love a ton, but I could see many people getting burnout.

It also seemed like I remember a good amount of people dropping out due to injuries in the first couple UFC's. Or does my memory fail? And some of those injuries you just couldn't battle through in the same night.
Looking at the wiki quickly, it seems like only UFC 3 that had alot of injuries, and that was the one that Gracie couldn't continue because he was too tired. And from what I recall of the Pride GP tournaments, they were rather injury free as well.

It just seems like the division is really all over the place and with no "real" top contender, (or in my opinion, no real title holder either) it would make for a great way to really call someone a champion in the division, as well as make for an entertaining night of fights.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #1037
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Looking at the wiki quickly, it seems like only UFC 3 that had alot of injuries, and that was the one that Gracie couldn't continue because he was too tired. And from what I recall of the Pride GP tournaments, they were rather injury free as well.

It just seems like the division is really all over the place and with no "real" top contender, (or in my opinion, no real title holder either) it would make for a great way to really call someone a champion in the division, as well as make for an entertaining night of fights.
Gotcha. It doesn't mention Keith Hackney's broken knuckle that stopped him? There was at least 2 in that UFC alone. Maybe the wiki needs updated.
But thats beside the point. I can see what you mean but again I just don't think its something as interesting to many in America as it is in others.
Also knowing a couple people in MMA, there is no fucking chance they would want to fight more than once a night. Had they been fighting many times a night than dropped to one it would be different. That's a pretty big shock to "Ironman" a group like that.
Again I am agree in spirit.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #1038
Lance Uppercut
hurf durf

I like Grand Prix tournaments, but not ones where you have to fight more than twice in one night. Even with two-a-nights, it can end up in a lot of convoluted results (like Joachim Hansen losing to Eddie Alvarez in the Dream GP, but ending up as the champion anyway after Alvarez had to bow out due to injury).

There's also no way an American athletic commission would approve that for a big-name event, probably citing safety issues.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #1039
Wedge
Resident Saint

UFC 109 coming up. Nothing there that I really think will be great matches. Always nice to see Maia submit someone, and Nate and Sonnen get to decide who gets beaten by Silva next. Couture vs Coleman would have been relevant 5-10 years ago. Swick vs Thiago could be interesting.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #1040
Lance Uppercut
hurf durf

UFC 110:

I kinda saw Cain winning the fight against Big Nog, I just didn't think it would be a KO. Passing of the torch, etc. etc.

Wand looks weird as hell post-surgery. Nice to see him winning though. I also noticed him restraining himself repeatedly from throwing his usual soccer kicks (though he did catch Bisping with a nice soccer kick to the chest).

Cro Cop's opponent sucked, and he should have finished him with the left high kick special. That killer instinct seems to have dulled.