welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #181
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Most places I have worked have stipulations in place that you cant have employee - boss relationships. One of my previous bosses was fired for exactly this reason. In the political realm I would imagine it would be even worse.

Perhaps it is different outside Canada.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #182
ShivaX
Extreme Moderate

Send a message via Yahoo to ShivaX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narradisall View Post
I'd say ethics would apply more to positions of power such as teaching. Not sure interns would count, since you can't give them higher grades or such, I suppose you could advance their careers quicker, but then any shagging the boss scenario would be an ethics issue.
Interns are pretty vulnerable to the whims of the people they serve. They're in a definate position of power over these people. There might not be letter grades, but theres definately paths to power and success that can directly opened or closed by the people above you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox View Post
To answer your question, I'm not sure if I could be more pretentious. Maybe if you prove me right a few more times, I might reach new heights.
ShivaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #183
VerseD
Wyrd bið ful aræd

Before you guys get too far on this: he was an intern to Oregon Representative Kim Thatcher, not to the Mayor himself. Also, if you can believe it, his name was Beau Breedlove.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #184
ShivaX
Extreme Moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerseD View Post
Before you guys get too far on this: he was an intern to Oregon Representative Kim Thatcher, not to the Mayor himself. Also, if you can believe it, his name was Beau Breedlove.
Well that makes a pretty huge difference then.
Quote:
To answer your question, I'm not sure if I could be more pretentious. Maybe if you prove me right a few more times, I might reach new heights.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #185
MagGnome

Wow, he is very attractive. I may have to track down some more photos.

Kudos to the mayor!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #186
VerseD
Wyrd bið ful aræd

The Suquamish tribe of Native Americans, outside Seattle on the Puget Sound, voted unanimously to allow gay marriage in their tribe:

Quote:
This spring, a young woman stood up at the tribe’s annual meeting on its reservation here on Puget Sound and asked it to formally approve same-sex marriage. The response from the 300 or so people present was an enthusiastic “yes” in a voice vote. There was no audible dissent. Then, after another, smaller meeting (still no opposition) and a little work by the tribal attorney, the tribal council voted unanimously this month to approve same-sex marriage.

No court fights. No ballot measures. No billionaires behind the scenes.

“Throughout my life I’ve not always felt a part of the tribe, even though I’m so involved in it,” said Ms. Purser, who is in a relationship but does not plan to marry soon. “This acceptance of gay marriage, when the tribe said, ‘O.K. we’re behind you,’ it took away so much of that old pain, and I really feel like I’m so much a part of the community again. I’m really proud of my people. I’m really proud to be Suquamish. We’re even more open and accepting than I thought we were.”
There are about 1,050 members of the tribe: half of them live on the reservation. For them, the issue was raised by a friend, a face that they knew, a voice they had spoken with -- is that why the vote went so cleanly? It is easy to fear and even hate something you know only from imagination and agitprop, and very few same-sex couples live openly in the rural areas that vote consistently against their right to marry.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #187
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Might as well resurrect this topic, since it's been in the news a lot lately.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #188
Vandabo
Guise srsly

Amen, Clint.

Even if I was a conservative, I would consider this a distraction from the important issues: I'd say let them get married, and then we can funnel all this campaign money and effort into something we really care about, like taxes or healthcare or something.

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #189
ShivaX
Extreme Moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
Amen, Clint.

Even if I was a conservative, I would consider this a distraction from the important issues: I'd say let them get married, and then we can funnel all this campaign money and effort into something we really care about, like taxes or healthcare or something.
Ah, but a huge chunk of the GOP cares about this, so now all conservatives "care" about it.
Quote:
Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #190
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaX View Post
Ah, but a huge chunk of the GOP cares about this, so now all conservatives "care" about it.
Yeah, this is actually an example of politicians being mindful of their constituents, something that should be viewed as a good thing. You don't think they would be pushing this if it didn't appeal to their base.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #191
Vandabo
Guise srsly

I would love to see a bracket made of all the various issues facing the country, and have them all face off. I'd really be interested if same sex marriage got past the quarterfinals. Even assuming very strong religious feelings, is it really trumping the economy, the war on terror, healthcare, immigration, social security, etc?

If you just handed someone a card with 15 of these issues on it, and said "We are going to work on 5 of them, which do you nominate?" would this really be one?
I'm sure studies like this must have been done, but I'm not really into digging up stuff like that right now.

I guess the mindset is just so completely bizarre to me that I might vastly underestimate it's importance to people.

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #192
MagGnome

How clueless can you be? Gays caused all of those problems. 9/11 was God's punishment for our nation's embrace of homosexuality, as was the War in Iraq, the recession, Hurricane Katrina, etc.

Duh.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #193
Vandabo
Guise srsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
How clueless can you be? Gays caused all of those problems. 9/11 was God's punishment for our nation's embrace of homosexuality, as was the War in Iraq, the recession, Hurricane Katrina, etc.

Duh.
Well, you've convinced me!

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #194
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
Well, you've convinced me!
I think it would terrify you how important gay marriage and abortion actually rank among a certain demographic. I actually have read reports much along the lines of what you are suggesting.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #195
bean
Banned

My sister is lesbian, so both these issues directly impact her. They are very important to her.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #196
Vandabo
Guise srsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
My sister is lesbian, so both these issues directly impact her. They are very important to her.
I'm only talking about trying to ban or prevent it. Like the Clint Eastwood quote above, just let anyone get married however they want and lets move on to matters that impact everyone.

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #197
Pale Ale
Drive By Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post

Duh.
Wow really? Why wouldn't I want to on the friendly side of a group who can cause disasters at will?

Hey, guess what I figured out...

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #198
ShivaX
Extreme Moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
Yeah, this is actually an example of politicians being mindful of their constituents, something that should be viewed as a good thing. You don't think they would be pushing this if it didn't appeal to their base.
The problem is their base is a bunch of nut jobs. Their base should be lower taxes, more efficient government and protection of personal freedoms from government intervention. Instead all that crap tends to take a backseat so we can scream "Queers!" for no reason. It reminds me of Chappelle and the Black Bush skit.

Then again, I'm not sure the GOP has been really conservative for a long time. Social conservative maybe, but not anywhere else. I wish the fucking party would hurry up and implode, but its not going to happen. When Romney loses they'll play the "not conservative enough" card and we'll be doing this same song and dance again in 4 years.
Quote:
Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #199
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaX View Post
Then again, I'm not sure the GOP has been really conservative for a long time. Social conservative maybe, but not anywhere else. I wish the fucking party would hurry up and implode, but its not going to happen. When Romney loses they'll play the "not conservative enough" card and we'll be doing this same song and dance again in 4 years.
With any luck that means they'll nominate Santorum in 2016, get crushed even harder, and be unable to blame it on centrism.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #200
bean
Banned

Actually, the problem is youth voters. They didn't show up for mid-term elections, so the failed tactic of energizing the right-base in 2008 worked again in 2010.

Also, this tactic works very well in red states and jerry-mandered districts, so the campaign managers for the GOP don't know any other songs.

Finally, they can't campaign on reality because people wouldn't vote for tax-cuts for the rich, no fiscal responsibility, and destroying Social Security/Medicaid.

Last edited by bean; 05-11-2012 at 08:16 AM.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote