welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #61
Ten19
Polyhedral Gyre

Send a message via AIM to Ten19
How about both of you shut the hell up, keep it out of the thread, and take it to PM?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #62
Jeffool
Apathet

Send a message via AIM to Jeffool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
BTW - I was able to activate one of my store bought EA titles on Origin (Red Alert 3). Anybody else try to do this on games already owned? I've always been very happy that Blizzard does that for their games and would have liked to have seen it caught on with others.
Between this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
That's *really* my problem. If they want to push Origin for whatever new franchises, fine, but games like those, that have an established customer base on other platforms should be completed.
Combined with this? Makes me think they'd be really smart to let you transfer EA titles from Steam to Origin accounts at no cost by verifying your Steam account.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #63
violent
Anti-Music God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten19 View Post
How about both of you shut the hell up, keep it out of the thread, and take it to PM?
I'm trying, man. I'm fucking trying.
violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #64
rein
TEAM BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
Between this...
Combined with this? Makes me think they'd be really smart to let you transfer EA titles from Steam to Origin accounts at no cost by verifying your Steam account.
All Steam games come with the Key. Has anyone tried to enter one into Origin yet?
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #65
ElektroDragon
La crème de la crème

Holy crap EA, that's a bad move to bet against Steam. They've some hubris doing that.. As an investor, this is of great concern.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #66
Bone
Terribad at game

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent View Post
Cut guaranteed revenue in hopes of building a second third fourth attempt at an in-house DD model. Yep. Good move.
Don't forget they renamed and rebuilt the service three times already, all were failures and all had major problems that I recall personally. Maybe they'll get it right this time, but their track record doesn't give me good premonitions.

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #67
Jeffool
Apathet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Holy crap EA, that's a bad move to bet against Steam. They've some hubris doing that.. As an investor, this is of great concern.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to start a fight, and I've got no money in them... But EA as a publisher... Why aren't you more annoyed that they haven't already made (successful) moves into this area? I mean, I get that they own developers too, but, they're primarily a publisher, right?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #68
violent
Anti-Music God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Don't forget they renamed and rebuilt the service three times already, all were failures and all had major problems that I recall personally. Maybe they'll get it right this time, but their track record doesn't give me good premonitions.
My psychic abilities failed me as I was only aware of my one lost copy of Battlefield 2142. Either way, I don't see this being permanent. They would have to do something that Steam doesn't already and while possible, I'm not the most confident person that EA will be the one to find it.
violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #69
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
So a corporation should never go after a leader of a particular industry? Makes for an awful boring corporate world.

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #70
Psykoboy2
Enigma Of The Mystical

Send a message via AIM to Psykoboy2 Send a message via MSN to Psykoboy2 Send a message via Skype™ to Psykoboy2
I'll admit I'm greedy, or cheap, or whatever. I'm looking at this more as a "nobody has sales like Steam" so I'm all cranky pants on possibly missing out on picking up Crysis 2 for $20 or less down the road.

Will EA combat that? Maybe, but why? If no one but you is selling your product, you can charge whatever you want.
Psykoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #71
Jeffool
Apathet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykoboy2 View Post
I'll admit I'm greedy, or cheap, or whatever. I'm looking at this more as a "nobody has sales like Steam" so I'm all cranky pants on possibly missing out on picking up Crysis 2 for $20 or less down the road.

Will EA combat that? Maybe, but why? If no one but you is selling your product, you can charge whatever you want.
For the same reason Stream did? It's not like other online storefronts were serious competition for them, and they've done it forever?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #72
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
So a corporation should never go after a leader of a particular industry? Makes for an awful boring corporate world.
Perhaps they are all one giant shadow industry, changing leaders upon group decision once every couple years The Gaminati. A secret shadow organization bent on ruling the world through Digital Distribution. I guess if anyone had the cash it would be Valve or EA.

That being said, I like Steam far more than I did a while ago. It has grown on me and the sales help...uhm...or don't help actually (my wallet felt the pinch). Who knows though, lots of changes probably coming up in the next 2-5 years in this sphere. Then in 1-2 generations the consoles will make the total jump as well. And it will be anarchy for awhile.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #73
boratika
Spacefaring Bii

Anyone else notice that Darkspore is currently Steam's mid week sale. Now that's timing.

Quote:
Of course it doesn't give you good premonitions, that's an oxymoron
Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #74
TrackZero
Sr. Features Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philonious View Post
I'm not cherry picking; your argument is that you will buy for consoles (which constitute 'another' platform) instead of Origin because you don't want to juggle platforms. Your logic is flawed, and not because I presented in a biased manner.
Platforms on the same platform. Dig?

Sr. Features Editor, Colony of Gamers
Gamertag - TrackZero
PSN ID - Tray-Kuh-Ze-Ro
[twitter][giantbomb]
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #75
Bone
Terribad at game

Quote:
Originally Posted by boratika View Post
Of course it doesn't give you good premonitions, that's an oxymoron
Not at all. Based on what I've seen from them in the past, my visions for their future are bleak. Just ask these tea leaves... shit, that's not tea.

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #76
MagGnome

Wait, what happens to those who bought Crysis 2 on Steam? They can still re-download the game, right?

If not, that is one of the shittiest things EA has ever done, which is saying a lot. Even if they can still download the game, this is a horrible move IMHO.

I may never buy another EA game again. Good riddance, I guess. I own a few EA games on Steam, and if my ability to access said titles is revoked, I will be pretty darn ticked off.

Last edited by MagGnome; 06-15-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #77
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goronmon View Post
For me it's more about which company I trust not to fuck me over for relying on them for access to my gaming library. And honestly, I have a hard time believing that at some point in the next few years EA won't try to fuck over people who use them to access their gaming library. This is company who once thought you should only be able to download a purchased game for a year before you would have to buy it again.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I trust Valve to provide me with a good customer experience for years to come. I don't trust EA at all, whatsoever. Despite the "strides" they've made in the last few years, the EA Store was awful, and they are still the company that shuttered some of my most cherished developers and threw their battered carcasses into the fire.

This has nothing to do with fanboyism and everything to do with previous experience. Trusting EA to provide a good online service is completely naive. Just look at the recent disasters with Battlefield and Dragon Age, for example.

Last edited by MagGnome; 06-15-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #78
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself.

and they are still the company that shuttered some of my most cherished developers and threw their battered carcasses into the fire.
What are some of the devs?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #79
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Not at all. Based on what I've seen from them in the past, my visions for their future are bleak. Just ask these tea leaves... shit, that's not tea.
Explains those posts in the NSFW thread

Ok...wait...no it doesn't. All of our posts in that thread are now effectively drug induced.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #80
Wasson_
The Last Starfighter

meanwhile at EA:

Okay guys, this will be cool...lets start steadily re-releasing select popular old games through GoG.com....aaaannnnd then stop selling our new games on Steam so we can toot our own digital distro platform.

I am unconvinced of the thoughtfulness of these actions.