welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

[Updated] EA Begins Pulling Games From Steam

The opening salvo of the EA-Steam war may have just been fired. EA has pulled Crysis 2 from Steam, and has slapped an "Only on Origin" label on the game's download page. Although as Kotaku notes, the game is still available through other download portals, such as Amazon and Direct2Drive, so the label isn't exactly accurate. But it does make EA's intentions clear: they see Steam as the competition for Origin, and they don't want their catalog used against them in that competition.

Earlier this month EA re-branded it's online store Origin, and most observers thought they were positioning it as a Steam competitor. EA announced that exclusive editions of Battlefield 3 and FIFA 12 would be sold through Origin, and Star Wars: The Old Republic will only be sold digitally through Origin.

The irony here? EA was the retail publisher for Valve's titles since 2007, and distributed The Orange Box, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 & Portal 2.

Sources - Kotaku; Develop; CoG's own J Arcane

[UPDATE] - EA has issued a statement about the removal.
Quote:
It's unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis II from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA. Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service--many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis II from Steam.
EA doesn't say exactly what "business terms" were violated, and when the change in Steam's terms of sale occurred.

Giant Bomb also notes that Alice Madness Returns and Battlefield 3 have also been removed from Steam. EA

Last edited by Doctor Setebos; 06-15-2011 at 07:39 AM.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
RandoM51
Peripheral Visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
The opening salve of the EA-Steam war may have just been fired.
You missed the first couple salvos, which were fired by Valve.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Well, that sucks. Does this mean that I won't be able to get Mass Effect 3 on Steam?

If EA actually tries to make a superior online store then I welcome the competition, but I get the feeling they're just going to rely on their blockbuster titles to appeal to gamers.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
If EA actually tries to make a superior online store then I welcome the competition, but I get the feeling they're just going to rely on their blockbuster titles to appeal to gamers.
Arrived at the same conclusion. If they use this as an excuse to be lazy, let the masses decide.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
aVaKus
keepin' it classy

Send a message via AIM to aVaKus
I was planning on purchasing Crysis 2 in the next couple weeks (when I get my new video card). Now I'll be spending my money elsewhere.

Gamertag: aVaKu5
PSN: aVaKus
Steam: aVaKus
3DS Friend Code: 2836-0087-4693
Nintendo ID: aVaKus3

It Gets Better
aVaKus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
LordDon
Terrible Yet Refined

Bitches at EA better L2sales or their service will be a ghosttown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
You can take my anus when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
LordDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
violent
Anti-Music God

Sucks for Battlefield 3 release on Steam. Though I see this as nothing but a temporary setback. Best thing EA could do with this service is start putting all their AAA sports titles on there and offer some sort of subscription plan for updated rosters and the like. And even then, the service would likely evolve into just that service. In no way do I see this being any real competition to Steam. Only a matter of time before EA games show up on Steam again.
violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
frederec
Predictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
Well, that sucks. Does this mean that I won't be able to get Mass Effect 3 on Steam?
Having recently bought the first two games on sale on Steam, this was one of my first thoughts.
frederec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Yeti2005
Colonist

If EA was smart they'd keep their games exclusive on their system for a certain time period and then release them to Steam. Otherwise I think they'll just lose sales.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

That's strange that they'd choose Crysis 2 over Sims 3.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Iron Past
Clem - shhh.

Oh noes! Someone did something that might be construed as anti-Valve! Seriously, people.

Business is business. You sell on Steam, Valve gets a cut, and EA wants their own money. And before you say EA is greedy, how many places can I download Portal 2 from again? They're aren't competing with Steam, they're just selling their own stuff from their own store; Stardock did it forever. Though I do understand the concern about a less than optimal experience. And Yeti is likely correct.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #12
violent
Anti-Music God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Past View Post
Oh noes! Someone did something that might be construed as anti-Valve! Seriously, people.

Business is business. You sell on Steam, Valve gets a cut, and EA wants their own money. And before you say EA is greedy, how many places can I download Portal 2 from again? They're aren't competing with Steam, they're just selling their own stuff from their own store; Stardock did it forever. Though I do understand the concern about a less than optimal experience. And Yeti is likely correct.
I don't think anyone is wigging out, dude. But it's fact that having content pulled from your service of choice sucks.
violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
Goronmon
More QQ Less Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Past View Post

For me it's more about which company I trust not to fuck me over for relying on them for access to my gaming library. And honestly, I have a hard time believing that at some point in the next few years EA won't try to fuck over people who use them to access their gaming library. This is company who once thought you should only be able to download a purchased game for a year before you would have to buy it again.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
Bone
Terribad at game

I had nothing but problems getting my Battlefield content back onto my machine using the previous EA downloaders. So I'll say, fuck you EA, fuck you you fucking fucks.

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
TrackZero
Sr. Features Editor

For me, I only want one platform for all my games IF I trust that platform to not pull a bunch of fuckery. Since Steam does that, that's where I want my games. I'm now more likely than I was pre-Origin to either:

A) Buy the game on the console instead. (Which also may be used, meaning zero dollars going back to EA.)

B) Not buy the game at all (I don't want to juggle platforms).

So congrats EA, smart move. Now instead of paying a really tiny fee to Steam for your game sales and making your customers happy, you're going to instead just lose a massive amount of sales off the top, piss off your fanbase and likely completely collapse all real PC development at your studios (that isn't casual). *golf clap*

And this goes for all the studios. The fact is I trust Steam, because they haven't steered me wrong and they're not a publicly traded company like the rest of you. Now the day that steam somehow goes "bad", then feel free to bring out your own competitive services and fight it out. But right now? You just look like assholes.

Sr. Features Editor, Colony of Gamers
Gamertag - TrackZero
PSN ID - Tray-Kuh-Ze-Ro
[twitter][giantbomb]
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
Philonious
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZero View Post
A) Buy the game on the console instead. (Which also may be used, meaning zero dollars going back to EA.)

B) Not buy the game at all (I don't want to juggle platforms).
Aren't these two things mutually exclusive?

Most of us here play games on multiple platforms as is, which isn't to say this isn't annoying, but it also isn't the end of the world. Basically two things can happen: Origin is a solid platform and we stop complaining and it succeeds; or Origin sucks, fails and everything ends back up on Steam. Though, as I said in the other thread, I still think that they'll go the route of timed exclusives.
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #17
Jeffool
Apathet

Send a message via AIM to Jeffool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
That's strange that they'd choose Crysis 2 over Sims 3.
My first reaction exactly (as discussed on Twitter!) I'd launch it with Sims 3, package the earlier games and expansions into deals, etc.

It's a common sense move, really. They HAVE to do this if they want to remain a relevant publisher into the future. I only hope that every client doesn't try to be every thing to every user. I get building your store into the client (though I don't understand Apple's not letting you browse the iTunes store without the software.)

Y'know what I'd like to see from publishers? Them to establish a new, basic, IM service for cross-game chat on all publisher services. (Maybe even use an existing protocol.) It'd be a lot easier than using Steam's buddy list, and then EA's, and then Activision's, etc. Similarly, they could do something with gamer profiles.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
Voodoo
Confidently Eccentric

An announcement from EA is supposed to be forthcoming.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #19
Cit Phil Cit
Clockwork Horror

The end result is always the same - your friend list gets fucked. Just so some assholes can make a tiny fraction more money from you - at your expense.

And quite frankly, I don't care for online stores tethered by publisher, granted Valve publishes games, but it's a single studio that might release 3 games every two years.

I like all my gaming crap in one place, and this *new* service does nothing for me, except make my game purchases and friends lists more divergent.
Cit Phil Cit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
TrackZero
Sr. Features Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philonious View Post
Aren't these two things mutually exclusive?

Most of us here play games on multiple platforms as is, which isn't to say this isn't annoying, but it also isn't the end of the world. Basically two things can happen: Origin is a solid platform and we stop complaining and it succeeds; or Origin sucks, fails and everything ends back up on Steam. Though, as I said in the other thread, I still think that they'll go the route of timed exclusives.
Sorry, I don't reply to cherry-picked quote arguments.

Sr. Features Editor, Colony of Gamers
Gamertag - TrackZero
PSN ID - Tray-Kuh-Ze-Ro
[twitter][giantbomb]
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote