welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Metro Last Light Announced & They're Adding Multiplayer

I didn't get a chance to play it, but many of you raved about last year's Metro 2033. So I think you'll be equally excited about it's sequel, Metro: Last Light.

Set for release next year, Last Light is once again being developed by 4A Games for THQ. The sequel returns to the underground tunnels of post-apocalyptic Moscow. You're engaged not only with the mutant monsters from outside of the Metro system, but in a war with other clans in the underground over some sort of doomsday weapon.

Interestingly - or not depending on your point of view - Last Light will be adding a multiplayer mode. Metro 2033 was single player only, and a lot of it's adherents liked that about it.

I'm a big fan of multiplayer shooters, but in the past few years I've begun to worry that some games just don't work as well in multiplayer. Sometimes it feels like a bullet-point being checked off on a marketing plan. Not that I'm accusing 4A or THQ of that here, but I'm seeing it more and more in the industry now. Shooters HAVE to include online multi, to hell with shooter fans who don't want to play online.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
biosc1
monoputer

Haven't finished the first yet. I'm actually thinking of starting it up again after I finish Bioshock (yah, I know).

Not sure I'll be itching for more, though. It's a good game, but with the environment, the new one can really just be more of the same.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
JayK47
Colonist

That video was retarded. It didn't get me excited for a new Metro that is for sure. And multi? Not sure about that one.
JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK47 View Post
That video was retarded. It didn't get me excited for a new Metro that is for sure. And multi? Not sure about that one.
It's different, that's for sure.

Gamertag - fitbabits | PSN ID - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
iHap
dontstandinfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
I'm a big fan of multiplayer shooters, but in the past few years I've begun to worry that some games just don't work as well in multiplayer. Sometimes it feels like a bullet-point being checked off on a marketing plan. Not that I'm accusing 4A or THQ of that here, but I'm seeing it more and more in the industry now. Shooters HAVE to include online multi, to hell with shooter fans who don't want to play online.
I have to heavily disagree with you there. There are some games that work for multiplayer, and some that just don't need it at all. Metro Last Light is not one of those games that needs MP. It's a Singleplayer game, with a singleplayer story line. Sure the added gangs can work for a MP type gameplay but I feel that it degrades from the whole.

You are wrong and I am right. So there.
Shut up you dildo.
iHap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHap View Post
I have to heavily disagree with you there. There are some games that work for multiplayer, and some that just don't need it at all. Metro Last Light is not one of those games that needs MP. It's a Singleplayer game, with a singleplayer story line. Sure the added gangs can work for a MP type gameplay but I feel that it degrades from the whole.

You are wrong and I am right. So there.
Maybe it's because I didn't use plum (and I really have to make a sarcasm button for the editor one of these days!) but that last line was sarcasm. I no longer think all FPS' need MP, and all too often I think it's inclusion is simply checking boxes on a marketing plan. I'm equally happy that many multiplayer shooters are eschewing single player story modes and just doing the multi. Not all games need both.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Wasson_
The Last Starfighter

Awesome. I loved the shit out of the first game. From the looks of it they're taking you up and out of the city or something, maybe out into the radioactive swampy steppes of an undead mother Russia.

but here's the thing. Metro might not be perfect for a standard death match / team kill each other stuff. But you know what it could be and what the game would be perfect for? Co-op campaign. It would be awesome.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK47 View Post
Really? I thought it was one of the more creative trailers for a game I've seen in a while. Sure, it doesn't really offer much in terms of seeing gameplay, but how many first trailers that announce games really show much gameplay? (Ahem, Dead Island anyone )

Mind you, they really didn't need to sell me on a sequel at all, I thought the first game was a real gem as long as you weren't fighting mutants or in the outdoor areas with an annoying gas mask on.

If they can work on the enemy detection AI so that sniping someone with a silenced gun doesn't alert the entire nation, create more engaging scenarios against the mutants besides "duck in corner, shoot until ammo is gone, repeat" and get rid of that AWFUL FUCKING GAS MASK BREATHING, well this one could be a big winner.

MP is a throwaway for me unless they do something very different from the norm. It takes a lot to dethrone TF2 and BC2 in terms of multiplayer, and I hate the CoD format.
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.

Last edited by Wackman3000; 05-31-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Wackman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Kelegacy
All Around Nice Guy

I loved the first game, so great. Multiplayer in a game like this is fucking stupid. Another example of multiplayer taking resources away from the core game. I hate this trend.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote