welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > Creative Arts

Old 05-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Thanasimos
The Flattest Fish

Send a message via AIM to Thanasimos
A video of ass-kicking and name-taking

I was just reminded of this video a few days ago, and thought I'd share. It's me and a trumpeter having too much fun on stage. Reasons you should spend the 8 minutes to listen to it all include: (i) the trumpeter -- my god, Nick is good at what he does -- and (ii) that you like me.

I wrote this over winter break as part of my ongoing project, "Just Water and Sunshine," the goal of which is to fuse various forms of distinctly American music with other musics, sometimes equally American, but not always. This particular piece was intended to mix blues scales and gypsy scales into one piece. As I was writing it, I realized I needed -- NEEDED -- a trumpet, so I called up my friend and this was set into motion. Things added: Latin jazz, film noir. So this is the gypsy blues noir latin jazz song that I wrote, and pulled a fan-freaking-tastic trumpeter in to solo on. He'd only even heard the music through three or four times, and he kept up with the key/scale changes (which at parts came every few seconds). I hope you like it. Lyrically, it just shows my disenchantment with organized religion and philosopher kings, and my obsession with John Henry.

TL;DR: This is the gypsy blues noir latin jazz song that I wrote, and pulled a trumpeter in to solo on. I hope you like it!

Feel free to tell me all my failings so I can do better next time, because that's what I'm posting here for. If I want praise I can always go to my close friends, who are too kind to say mean things.

Last edited by Thanasimos; 05-18-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Thanasimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Dorkandproudofit
Thread Killer

From the thread title, I was expecting something more like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
When I first found a kilt, it was woefully weak. I was disappointed. Rump Rump the Prettiest Orc loves to feel the breeze.
Searching for proof that amateur writers can beat pros, occasionally.
Dorkandproudofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
I liked it. Don't really have much in the way of critiques, but I thought it was pretty awesome.

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote