welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Podcasts > Immortal Machines

Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Interview With Gaslamp Games: Ask Questions! Win a Prize!

First off, thanks to Lekon for putting us in touch with the fine chaps of Gaslamp Games who are in the middle of creating a brand new graphical Roguelike, Dungeons of Dredmor. His thread here on CoG attracted both our attention and the developers', and that's grand.

What's grander still is that David and Nicholas have agreed to come on the Immortal Machines podcast next week to talk about their game, so we need to know what you'd like us to ask them! No topic too obscure! No question too indiscreet!

What's in it for you? Well you get your questions answered, of course! ...Oh, okay, fine, we'll also be giving away one copy of Dungeons of Dredmor to somebody whose question gets asked in the show. So, you know, that's a reason, too.

We'll be recording next Wednesday, Feb 9th, so your deadline for question submissions is the end of Tuesday the 8th. Now get to it; don't let Lekon win by default!
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

What is the win condition of the game and how long on average would a successful game last.

"Shh! I'm charging my laser!"

Last edited by SilentScreams; 02-03-2011 at 02:28 PM.
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
destoo
Colonist

multiplatform era...

It looks like the game will be released on PC.. Any plans on touch-screen version?
destoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
BLeeP
Damn Good Pie

Roguelike enthusiasts are a group of very hard to please people who feel that you shouldn't mess with the formula too much. On the other hand, people who aren't enthusiasts often find roguelikes too intimidating due to their difficulty and interface. What balance, if any, are you looking to strike with Dungeons of Dredmor and do you think it is possible to appease both camps?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Lekon
Indie Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeeP View Post
Roguelike enthusiasts are a group of very hard to please people who feel that you shouldn't mess with the formula too much. On the other hand, people who aren't enthusiasts often find roguelikes too intimidating due to their difficulty and interface. What balance, if any, are you looking to strike with Dungeons of Dredmor and do you think it is possible to appease both camps?
That is... one hell of a question. Bravo!

Glad I could help set this up! I don't want to be in the running for the free copy here though, rather just get some more coverage for the nice gents.

I've got a few questions but they've mostly been answered Via Twitter/Their blog. Only one I'd want to ask over the Podcast is what sorts of post-release plans they have. Map Packs (Namely art packs to change the way maps look), mod tools, community interaction, etc. Just what sorts of things they plan to do once Dredmor is in the Wild.

Oh, and if they planned to do any of those silly pre-release tie ins I mentioned to them earlier!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
dbaum

This is good stuff! Or is it cheating for me to read the questions beforehand?

Anyway, let it be known that I want us to get some really, really hard questions. I want to get totally grilled here. So keep it comin'! :D
dbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Alright, folks, they've come to our door and thrown down, as it were.

Don't disappoint.
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Lekon
Indie Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
Alright, folks, they've come to our door and thrown down, as it were.

Don't disappoint.
Okay, I want back in the contest now.

Question wise: How do you intend to sell the game to folks? Will there be a demo? More vids? Something specific to help get people who aren't already going "Woot" to want to purchase the game?

Any plans to do unlockables, or will all options be available from the start? Hell, for that matter, I know it is single player, but any options for score posting/character dumps/leader boards? How can we brag to each other about our awesomeness in this game?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
biosc1
monoputer

Were you a fan of Fatal Labyrinth for the Genesis? Seems like it may have some similarities (though, to be fair, I guess it was a pretty simple rogue-like that was similar to other rogue-likes of the time).

Yes, it's sort of a lame question, but most of my possible questions have been asked already
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
blair
Colonist

This seems to be my default question these days: How moddable will the game be. Especially niche games like roguelikes profit from active community participation. So what will you support? Custom maps (or plugins for the procedural generator), Custom classes/races/skills? Custom quests? Maybe access to some sort of scripting API?
blair is offline   Reply With Quote