welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #1041
MagGnome

That sounds like a fun idea. I apologize in advance if I end up killing everyone in the fort.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #1042
Hemalin
Colonist

I seem to have a vampire in my fort. One of my engravers was found dead, drained of blood. No witnesses so there will probably be a few more deaths before I catch him.
Hemalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #1043
MagGnome

That's pretty awesome. Let us know what happens.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #1044
Ten19
Polyhedral Gyre

Send a message via AIM to Ten19
By the way, if anyone was having major aggravating crashes when saving (like I was), there will be an update Saturday morning to address it. Time suck reinitialized!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #1045
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

I think I'm going to abandon waiting for the LNP. I want to play now!

I read that Dwarf Therapist works with this version now, as does the Phoebus tileset. That's all I really need.
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #1046
MagGnome

Sounds like I should be good to go then as well. Those are the two parts of the LazyNewbPack that I use most often anyway. Well that or the MayDay tileset. I'm always torn between the two tilesets, as they both have things that I like and things that I dislike.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #1047
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

I've gotten really careless in my absence from DF. I keep on making dumb mistakes that I never used to make before and ruining my forts.

In my last game the downfall of my entire fort all started with a kobold thief.

He didn't manage to steal anything, but on the way out he stabbed one of my children in the hand and shattered the kids wrist. I had to quickly get a hospital set up because I hadn't gotten around to that yet. Then winter hit and all my water supply froze up, which caused my well to run dry so that I couldn't keep the kid hydrated or clean his wounds.
He was quickly dying of thirst, so I took the only option I had, which was to tunnel into the cavern I'd found earlier and try to get some water from there. Long story short, in my haste I dug a channel I shouldn't have and ultimately flooded my bedrooms. The situation was salvageable until a cave crocodile got in through the breach and started slaughtering my guys left right and centre. By the time I'd gotten my 5 man militia down there, half of my fort was dead and the crocodile had been dubbed Bunemgusgash, killer of dwarves. My militia got a measure of revenge by slowly beating the croc to death with their wooden training weapons, but by then the fort was in a tantrum spiral and had to be abandoned.

Fucking kobolds.

Edit: Ha! I just had a look at the combat log. Apparently my spearwoman decided her birchen spear wasn't doing the trick and got the killing blow on Bunemgusgash by biting him in the back of the head.

Last edited by SilentScreams; 02-21-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #1048
MagGnome

That is a pretty epic downfall.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #1049
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
I hate reading shit like that. Because for me it was an awesome game, but so fucking cumbersome. But god...I want stories like THAT.

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #1050
Panthera
ANUSTART

I gave the latest version a try the other day, and goddamn do I ever love what he's done with the world generation. I had barely touched adventure mode before, but cities and castles and farmland make traveling the world feel very real.

"Then it is also your fate to be beaten," said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #1051
Hemalin
Colonist

I ended up with four vampires in my fortress. I may let them roam free for now. One of my miners was bitten, so I'm hoping he'll turn. They seem more intent on killing my dwarves than actually turning them though.

Last edited by Hemalin; 02-23-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Hemalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #1052
MagGnome

Do the vampires still do their jobs, or are they more like monsters?

It would be neat to have an entire fortress full of vampires as long as it was still functional. Do they need to feed?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #1053
Ten19
Polyhedral Gyre

Send a message via AIM to Ten19
They go about their business as usual. I had two vampires in my last run, and luckily when they killed someone there was a witness (viewed in the Justice screen) so I was able to arrest them and put them in a cage as punishment. I had a third, but that was before I had cages and someone killed the vampire out of anger before I could do anything about it.

If I recall from the wiki article, they only need blood and don't consume normal food/water.

Last edited by Ten19; 02-23-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Ten19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #1054
MagGnome

Ah, all good to know, thanks. I'm looking forward to experiencing them for myself after I spend a little more time with Terraria and Bastion. I don't want to get sucked back in just yet to the detriment of the other games I've been playing in my free time.

It sounds like they've been implemented well.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #1055
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

For anyone who is interested, the Lazy Newb Pack got its update.
There are a few third party programs still missing due to compatibility, but the important stuff is there.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #1056
MagGnome

I am definitely interested. I love the Lazy Newb Pack.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #1057
MagGnome

I finally booted up the new version last night. My fortress is off to a decent start, although I made a couple of rookie mistakes. I spent a lot of time playing DF2010, so I momentarily forgot that you no longer need to make soil muddy in order to plant crops there. I nearly flooded my farmland before I remembered that was unnecessary. Extra work averted!

Then my two horses starved to death, because I forgot about putting them in a pen.

Other than that, things are going well! I stumbled upon a huge cavern that is going to make space more of an issue and force me to change my layout plans, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I walled off the entrance to keep anything nasty from coming in. I saw troglodytes in there, and who knows what else lurks in the deep.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #1058
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

I assume you've all read the brilliance that is Boatmurdered.

Behold the awesomeness of Bravemule.

I love this series. The writers have managed to give each dwarf a distinct personality and writing style and it's highly entertaining.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #1059
MagGnome

That looks to be a fairly long read, at least compared to previous DF tales. I love these things though, so thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #1060
MagGnome

Engraved floors and walls look terrible in the May Day graphics set.