welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #41
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmade.Mercury View Post
PREFACE: I have only a very, very vague understanding of the subject matter.

But how would this whitelist work? Isn't the way they check to see if a piece of software is legitimate or not is to see if it has a proper signature/key? Since the hackers can now sign there own code, isn't there literally no difference between official software and unofficial software? Unless you meant literally making a list with game-specific data. (the game's title, for example)

It just seems like there already was a whitelist in place, and that "whitelist" was just checking to see if a piece of software had an accepted signature.
Yes, my idea was that there would be an actual list of games. Those games could, of course, be copied, but no future games would. Still, though, that would be probably easy to trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederec View Post
They may just let it go, and have better security in future hardware revisions. Like how after a certain point, it mattered what motherboard you had in your PSP when determining if you could go CFW (though that was before Pandora). And even now the PSPgo isn't fully blown open.

Though the reports of newly discovered keys for the PSP (like the PS3) may change that.
See, I'm actually pretty excited that the PSP key was discovered, because the one thing that's kept me from getting a PSPgo is that I can't play my UMDs. If someone makes an ISO loader, I can go ahead and play Star Ocean 1 on the HDTV with my Dual Shock 3.
Mike Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #42
x Returner x
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer View Post
Right, it's not hacking by the user. Tengen games are a perfect example of this but in a 2010 model.

Not really a good example since Nintendo sued Tengen and Tengen lost.
x Returner x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #43
frederec
Predictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelehan View Post
See, I'm actually pretty excited that the PSP key was discovered, because the one thing that's kept me from getting a PSPgo is that I can't play my UMDs. If someone makes an ISO loader, I can go ahead and play Star Ocean 1 on the HDTV with my Dual Shock 3.
That's cool. My priority is a little different, since I've got a PSP fat and slim, both of which are hacked. What I'm hoping for is a way to play the couple of PSN games I've bought, which won't play on custom firmware. The ability to play downloaded demos on my PSPs, which also don't work on CFW.
frederec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #44
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

For the record, all of this business about this being a reaction to Linux being removed is total bullshit. Someone at Sony leaked the keyfob that allowed people to get into the service menu (the thing that people were selling a while back), and that is what enabled these guys to do this hack. This business about Linux is FUD, as even when you could have Linux running on the PS3 legitimately, it was horribly restricted.
Follow me on Twitter!
Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #45
Yeti2005
Colonist

It's incredible how fast the homebrew/hacking scene is evolving with this news. Hopefully soon I will be able to buy new PS3 games that require FW 3.42 or above.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #46
score
Colonist

So I am reading that GeoHot has released the actual keys for signing PS3 and PSP software and that a custom firmware for the PS3 has been released which will allow you to install run/pkg files without the need for a jailbreak device.

That was fast
score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #47
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
So I am reading that GeoHot has released the actual keys for signing PS3 and PSP software and that a custom firmware for the PS3 has been released which will allow you to install run/pkg files without the need for a jailbreak device.

That was fast
How are they getting the custom firmware onto the system?

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #48
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
How are they getting the custom firmware onto the system?
You could burn it to a CD, or put it on a USB device. Since it's signed, the PS3 will assume it's legitimate.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #49
score
Colonist

Quote:
You could burn it to a CD, or put it on a USB device. Since it's signed, the PS3 will assume it's legitimate.
Yeah - you need to recompile the existing firmware with some additional stuff under Linux. You can then reinstall the firmware from a USB drive. Im going to hold off for the moment though - I think the homebrew stuff eg snes9x also needs to be resigned used the leaked keys before it will work without the jailbreak device.
score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #50
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:
I bet one of the first things Sony does is make it so you can't upgrade the firmware through USB. There is nothing they can do about upgrading through disc though since most games carry firmware updates on the discs they ship with.
OldJadedGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #51
Orca
Colonist

They can't get rid of firmware via USB, they use it during the HDD changeover process.
Orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #52
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Slaps forehead gotcha I should have realized that
Well they patented about 15 software anti-pirating measures that can be put onto disk that they DID NOT put into the PS3. My guess is we will see those very soon.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #53
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

So, as I'm understanding it, in addition to custom firmware, doesn't the way this works sort of mean you could now basically just print your own PS3 games if you had a BR burner? Not a cheap route obviously, but is there something else preventing stuff from being run off a disc?

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #54
Banacek
Crybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
So, as I'm understanding it, in addition to custom firmware, doesn't the way this works sort of mean you could now basically just print your own PS3 games if you had a BR burner? Not a cheap route obviously, but is there something else preventing stuff from being run off a disc?
I think you're going to see Dreamcast level piracy unless Sony figures out a way to stop it, and I'm not sure if they can.
Banacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #55
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca View Post
They can't get rid of firmware via USB, they use it during the HDD changeover process.
Forgot about this
Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #56
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banacek View Post
I think you're going to see Dreamcast level piracy unless Sony figures out a way to stop it, and I'm not sure if they can.
They have 2 ways to make sure to combat it that are available to them right now, and a couple more than require some additional time. All the fixes impact legitimate gamers in various ways. However, I think its honest to say that the PS3 is still having some occasional issues with game sales and probably sees more of a reason to combat piracy than say MS, though that is up for debate. However, with so many 1st party games directly tied to them versus say MS I feel that they probably view it in a different way.

They are in a slightly worse position than MS is. I am not sure how they handle it.

MS did a dandy job with handling the Jtag issue and stopped recent systems from even being able to be jtagged. Perhaps there is some stuff PS3 has that is like this. It's very detailed and I don't know the PS3 as much as the 360 when it comes to inner workings.

Last edited by Karak; 01-05-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #57
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Looks like the PSP Go was indeed hacked, and now there's a functioning ISO loader. The Go just became a lot more attractive.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #58
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:
Looks like the PSP Go was indeed hacked, and now there's a functioning ISO loader. The Go just became a lot more attractive.
Nice, now you'll be able to actually play your UMD discs on the system and not be locked out of any game.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #59
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

That's something interesting... VERY interesting...
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #60
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
They have 2 ways to make sure to combat it that are available to them right now, and a couple more than require some additional time. All the fixes impact legitimate gamers in various ways. However, I think its honest to say that the PS3 is still having some occasional issues with game sales and probably sees more of a reason to combat piracy than say MS, though that is up for debate. However, with so many 1st party games directly tied to them versus say MS I feel that they probably view it in a different way.

They are in a slightly worse position than MS is. I am not sure how they handle it.
They are pretty much fucked. They were pretty much fucked when they stopped nerds from using their Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.

Last edited by muddi900; 01-06-2011 at 03:31 AM.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote