welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 12-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #41
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Hunh. So that's another show I might start watching. Those guys are entertaining.

And they did guest spots on the incredibly awesome Bytejacker, so that's a plus too.
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #42
kyrieee
RAWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lint of Death View Post
I wish I could give you advice from my personal experience, but I get the impression that effective strategies for keyboards do not translate to gamepads. I use the run button a lot more than I suspect I'm supposed to because it often allows for better air control.
Yeah I agree that it does but I don't know how that'd be different with a controller.
kyrieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #43
axion
Custom User Title

So I got this as well. On the leaderboards am I correct to think that the top score is hidden from view so you don't know what time to beat? I'm first on a couple... in Worlds 1 and 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I'm not entirely sure what exactly it's called, but it was basically cement. It took me several days to get all of that crap out of my hair. That's the last time I'll let that happen.
axion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #44
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrieee View Post
Yeah I agree that it does but I don't know how that'd be different with a controller.
Well, the gamepad uses the analog stick to move, right? The keyboard keys are binary, so either you're inputting the maximum change in movement or the minimum (zero). That makes it easier to adjust a faster Meat Boy because you're less likely to overcompensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axion View Post
So I got this as well. On the leaderboards am I correct to think that the top score is hidden from view so you don't know what time to beat? I'm first on a couple... in Worlds 1 and 2.
The number 1 spot became hidden in either this patch or the previous. I suspect it's a bug.
Lint of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #45
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmade.Mercury View Post
You know, I only just realized that
all of those corpses are my corpses. I just assumed they were different assorted meat blobs that happened to look a lot like me. Also, if you're smart about it, you can get through the entire boss with only one death, since you now know what his wind-ups look like and where he hits.
I just realized something else:
(Ch. 5 spoilers contained)
In The Rapture, I suspect Dr. Fetus has begun stockpiling those corpses and weaponizing them. The bodies are also feeding the adorable maggots.

Edit: I haven't beaten 6-5 yet so if you discuss anything later than that warn me outside the spoiler please!

Last edited by Lint of Death; 12-05-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #46
kyrieee
RAWR

6-5 was fun, I like that kind of difficulty much more than enemies. The hard part of me is just figuring out how to do something the first time, once I do I can execute it most of the time.

Enemies are too unpredictable, makes every run different.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #47
Handmade.Mercury
Aplan Architect

Send a message via MSN to Handmade.Mercury
Quote:
6-5 was fun, I like that kind of difficulty much more than enemies. The hard part of me is just figuring out how to do something the first time, once I do I can execute it most of the time.

Enemies are too unpredictable, makes every run different.
They all spawn in the same place, and react to you the same way, so if you take the same path, they do the exact same thing.

Follow me on Twitch TV and hitbox.tv!
SystemPunch
Handmade.Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #48
kyrieee
RAWR

Well in practice you're not going to do exactly 100% the same movements every run. I prefer obstacles that behave the same way every time.

Anyway, the last boss fight is bugged. I got to the end 20+ times before looking it up on youtube and

In my version Dr. Fetus just goes straight through the sawblades. Yay
Then at the end he just stands there and can't be dropped into the abyss.

Last edited by kyrieee; 12-05-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #49
Suave Peanut
don't let's start

Send a message via AIM to Suave Peanut
I'm up to 6-5 now and I have A+ on every Light World level before this!

I always die at the part with the key, either on the fall down or right after.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #50
kyrieee
RAWR

I've managed to grab the bandage and get back two or three times on 4-17 using Meat Boy but I've died each time. I don't think you're supposed to be able to do it with him but I've been so close!!

edit: meh spent 4 hours on it, don't think it's doable

Last edited by kyrieee; 12-06-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #51
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

Quote:
I've managed to grab the bandage and get back two or three times on 4-17 using Meat Boy but I've died each time. I don't think you're supposed to be able to do it with him but I've been so close!!

I'm almost 100% certain it can be done.

Also, it's almost cute the way everyone is talking about light world levels like they mean anything. That's the PRACTICE game. (except for the warp zones)

edit: I'm really looking forward to everyone raging about dark world/cotton alley levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDon View Post
I love you, Orc.
TheFlyingOrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #52
kyrieee
RAWR

I can get back, Orc, but the lava boulders are too frequent. You need lots of jumps to get back and there's no place you can pause and adjust the timing. If you try to brute force it with luck then maybe it can be done. You can jump straight from the bandage wall to the lower ledge and if you land high enough you can get up, I've done that too but the timing window would be extremely narrow since you need to dodge the thing on your way down too and you will have lots of lateral movement right in its path.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #53
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingOrc View Post
I'm almost 100% certain it can be done.

Also, it's almost cute the way everyone is talking about light world levels like they mean anything. That's the PRACTICE game. (except for the warp zones)
Hey, I'm not! I think we agree that the Kid warp is legitimately hard. Oh, and I beat it anyway
Old 12-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #54
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

Quote:
Hey, I'm not! I think we agree that the Kid warp is legitimately hard. Oh, and I beat it anyway
What's amazing is that, right now, you are NOWHERE NEAR as good as you'll be by the time you finish the majority of the dark world (Dr. Fetus dark WILL make you yell at your television, I absolutely promise). I can beat the Kid's levels in 4-5 tries each now. Of course, nearly 10k deaths will do that for ya.

Also, you guys can't catch me. Due to a glitch, I have 101 bandages.
Quote:
I love you, Orc.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #55
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

Quote:

I just launched the game to see which bandage 4-17 was, then try to get it so I could give you tips. When I looked, though, I saw that I already had it! So you can do it.

edit: Looking at that stage I probably got the bandage using Ogmo. Honestly, though, you should just go for unlocking Flywrench. The game gets even easier with that thing.

Last edited by Lint of Death; 12-06-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #56
kyrieee
RAWR

Well, I wanted to do it with Meat Boy just to see if it could be done :P
Old 12-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #57
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

Quote:
edit: Looking at that stage I probably got the bandage using Ogmo. Honestly, though, you should just go for unlocking Flywrench. The game gets even easier with that thing.
I found Flywrench incredibly difficult to use in most circumstances, due to his very poor horizontal movement, plus his lacking 3rd jump. If I needed extra jumps, I always went with the kid. Once you have the Kid, there's little point to Ogmo or Flywrench (and little point to Jill).

My swiss army knife was Meat Boy usually, followed heavily by the Kid, followed by Tim (he just breaks some levels), a few places where Spelunky is Godlike. There are so many levels in Cotton Alley/Warp zones where I would kill to use the kid, but no dice.

Kyrieee: I'll give it a shot when I get home. I remember the hole being very narrow, but my Meat Fu is pretty much Godlike at this point, so that'll be your answer.
Quote:
I love you, Orc.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #58
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

Well, on PC, Flywrench is amazing. Admittedly a part of this is due to a bug that allows you to make that first, longest jump mid-air. The bug affects a large number of characters including Flywrench, Ogmo, the Kid, and Josef. It's triggered by leaving any surface without jumping - falling off a ledge, zipping up a conveyor belt, dropping off a wall all allow for it (Commander Video seems to suffer the reverse, sadly, as he can't float if he runs off an edge). And Flywrench can use his jump to move directly up walls, so if he leaves the wall by going above it, he can still take advantage of the glitch.

Even if that weren't true, though, I'd still love Flywrench. The first jump is great, I consider the other two to be the kind of air control that's a blessing for keyboards - plus being able to stay at a certain height for longer is frequently an advantage. The main thing I like, though, is being able to slide directly up walls. Never having to leave a wall breaks a ton of levels. This becomes especially great because Flywrench is unusually thin!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #59
MagGnome

Orc is clearly obsessed with Meat.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #60
kyrieee
RAWR

Where do you get this amazing Flywrench?