welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 10-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #101
Handmade.Mercury
Aplan Architect

Send a message via MSN to Handmade.Mercury
So you're saying that when you went to the download page, and saw the two downloads for standard-res and high-res, and downloaded the high-res one, the game still asks for a "high-resolution package"? I tried searching for the problem, and the best I can come up with is some files are only on the disc versions. Those were some really old threads I was reading, though, so they could be wrong and that may have changed by now.

Follow me on Twitch TV and hitbox.tv!
SystemPunch
Handmade.Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #102
OldeWolf
Being Hearing's overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmade.Mercury View Post
So you're saying that when you went to the download page, and saw the two downloads for standard-res and high-res, and downloaded the high-res one, the game still asks for a "high-resolution package"? I tried searching for the problem, and the best I can come up with is some files are only on the disc versions. Those were some really old threads I was reading, though, so they could be wrong and that may have changed by now.
Well, that's weird, but if you're right then that could explain it. Thanks for looking into it.

It seems not very stunning with max on everything. Looks a little jagged actually even while the game playing is smooth with no slowdown. That's why I thought I was missing some high definition graphic package or something. Oh well...
OldeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #103
Vanthar
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeWolf View Post
Second question, when will the fun part of lord of the ring going to start because I am getting a little tired of being a bus boy, fetching and beating up vermins like flies with a flame thrower (aka too easy).
The game really shines in the instanced book quests. They are epic and fun. The difficulty level WILL ramp up quickly after level 10, but it's not bad at all if you've got MMO experience. It's also going to remain easy if you do quests below your level. If you exhaust the quests in a zone, you will undoubtedly be above the quest curve. I think I gray con'd some quests while working outside of Bree before I could finish everything. It's like the complete opposite of FF14
Vanthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #104
Xydarc
Time to rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanthar View Post
The game really shines in the instanced book quests. They are epic and fun. The difficulty level WILL ramp up quickly after level 10, but it's not bad at all if you've got MMO experience. It's also going to remain easy if you do quests below your level. If you exhaust the quests in a zone, you will undoubtedly be above the quest curve. I think I gray con'd some quests while working outside of Bree before I could finish everything. It's like the complete opposite of FF14
This. Questing is what I enjoy most out of MMOs and LOTRO almost has too many. It's fun.
It's just as you said, bitch. We're the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Xydarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #105
jpublic
Threadslayer

It appears the best way to play this game 'mostly' free is to pony up for a month of VIP, create your characters, and lapse to premium. It unlocks carloads of stuff on your characters (bags, traits, etc) that you'd have to pay for otherwise, Free or Premium.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #106
Telefrog
Natural 20's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
It appears the best way to play this game 'mostly' free is to pony up for a month of VIP, create your characters, and lapse to premium. It unlocks carloads of stuff on your characters (bags, traits, etc) that you'd have to pay for otherwise, Free or Premium.
Just make sure to use that month to get all your characters to level 20 so you won't have to pay for the Riding skill.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #107
Felonous
Colonist

That is what I am doing, I got to 20 on 4 of my 5 chars, got the mounts on them too. Now working on leveling my last char, a dwarven minstrel.
Felonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #108
jpublic
Threadslayer

Can't you earn the riding skill at L20 through a quest even if you're on premium?

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
Old 10-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #109
Panthera
ANUSTART

Quote:
Can't you earn the riding skill at L20 through a quest even if you're on premium?
I believe this is the case. Myself, I went and bought a damn horse at level 5 to speed me along. I had those 1500 points kicking around from the $5 D2D sale and didn't feel like walking everywhere.

"Then it is also your fate to be beaten," said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #110
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Can you buy a good horse at a low level? If so, done and done, because I have the same 1500 points. I had actually purchased the first L20 horse before the F2P switch (the nag from the stables north of Bree), but its speed is actually slower than my hunter running with his "Follow the Path" speed.

But if I can toss some points at getting a horse that's closer to the quick travel horse's speed, I'm all over it.
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there. </Whore>
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #111
Panthera
ANUSTART

Yes, indeed. I believe the riding skill is currently on sale, too. Normally it's about 300 for the skill and 800 for a second tier horse, which is normally 500 silver and limited to level 20 if I remember right.

"Then it is also your fate to be beaten," said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #112
Handmade.Mercury
Aplan Architect

Send a message via MSN to Handmade.Mercury
I bought the riding skill for 195 Turbine Points.

Follow me on Twitch TV and hitbox.tv!
SystemPunch
Handmade.Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #113
Ravenlock

Definitely doing that tonight. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #114
jpublic
Threadslayer

Apparently, you can only get the riding skill on premium or F2P characters via the store. So I bought it on Amistara, and started a couple new characters to get to L5 so I could buy it on them.

Unfortunately, I can't buy it on them - it doesn't let me anymore.

Freaking store bugs.

Also, add 'Thrainson' and 'Perigilliam' to my character list, up there.

Last edited by jpublic; 10-08-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #115
Ravenlock

I couldn't afford the festival mounts - I must've spent some of the 1500 on something right after getting them - but I was able to afford the riding skill and a standard mount, which appears to be just as fast as the festival mount if not as pretty. Points well spent in my book. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #116
Panthera
ANUSTART

Quote:
Also, add 'Thrainson' and 'Perigilliam' to my character list, up there.
Are they on Firefoot?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #117
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Are they on Firefoot?
Yep. I tend to stick to a server.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #118
Vyzov
Rainwave Music Manager

I already have aTurbine account as I play DDO. Do I just need to download the client?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #119
Panthera
ANUSTART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyzov View Post
I already have aTurbine account as I play DDO. Do I just need to download the client?
You may need to contact support to have them add LOTRO to your turbine account. I just made a second account.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #120
Vyzov
Rainwave Music Manager

No, apparently I need to make a support request for free key which also requires the name and first 3 numbers of the credit card, of which none exists...