welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 10-31-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Belgium Bans Game Rentals

The government of Belgium, at the urging of video game publishers, has banned the rental of all video games within that nation. The law bans the purchase of any new title for the purposes of rental immediately, and ends rentals altogether on December 1st.

The rental ban is seen as a way to prop up floundering game retailers, who have always claimed that game rentals harmed their business.

Source - GI.biz.

UPDATE - The Belgian Entertainment Association refutes reports that they've banned game rentals. They say they've simply required that rental stores must stop buying games at retail and begin buying them wholesale from the publishers. This would require rental sites get approval from the publishers, a process similar to how movie rentals are done in most of the world.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Johan
Take it easy!

Well, isn't that awesome? Movies next?
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Sandman
Libratorr

They have Gamestops in Belgium don't they? Just buy a game used and return it with the receipt and say you didn't like it or something....it's not technically rental.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
menage
Praise the sun!

Same here in Holland, Shit is ridiculous.

Really, like I'll buy your crappy 2 hour game because I can't rent it.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Psykoboy2
Enigma Of The Mystical

Send a message via AIM to Psykoboy2 Send a message via MSN to Psykoboy2 Send a message via Skype™ to Psykoboy2
Guess we know another reason for Slippy coming to the states. Good reason too.
Psykoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Doctor Setebos
Splendidly superfluous

Send a message via Skype™ to Doctor Setebos
Belgium says it's not true.

Quote:
Following reports that Belgium will call an outright ban on videogame rentals from December 1, the Belgian Entertainment Association has told Edge that it is "simply doing what all other countries do."

"The point is that stores can still put out rental copies. They just have to get permission to do so. In most countries a rental point must get permission for renting out. We are no longer any different to this system, but that doesn’t mean we are 'banning' game rentals."

Now Playing: Minecraft | Terraria PC
Doctor Setebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
KingGorilla
Colonist

Welcome to the official make Sl1pstream sad week.
KingGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Karmakin
Moar and Moar and Moar

Forcing them to get permission is about the same as banning game rentals. At the very least it'll reduce the selection to a point where most stores won't carry anything, and that's the point.

That said, game rentals do considerable harm to the industry. Every rental is a lost sale, after all. (I'm just kidding on this. Kinda. I just think that their piracy rhetoric is overblown when every big rental store around here is renting out 20+ copies of Fable 2 on launch day)
Old 10-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
JayVe
Kamalot at heart

The problem with game sales is that they are simply too damn expensive. I've switched almost entirely to rentals myself as it gives me much more value for my dollar. Either prices need to change, or people need to start getting more value for their purchase. 8-hour games aren't gonna cut it any longer.
Steam: Kamalot
JayVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
Ancalagon
Colonist

I thought you needed to buy special rental versions anyway? Hasnt that always been the case? ie, the dvds and games you get from video stores arent what you would buy from the stores, they are different versions exclusively for rental?

Actually, come to think of it, you should be able to rent out anything. Heck, I should be able to rent out my kettle - once I bought it, I can do what I like.

This is what the game companies really want - no resales or rentals. I'm surprised console games have been re-sellable for as long as they have.
Ancalagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Competition hurts my business too. Can it be illegal? Please?
Mike Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
KingGorilla
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
I thought you needed to buy special rental versions anyway? Hasnt that always been the case? ie, the dvds and games you get from video stores arent what you would buy from the stores, they are different versions exclusively for rental?
Nope, the games industry is run by dipshits. They would rather bitch about rentals than monetize them and culture them. Like those geniuses in LA figured out almost 30 years ago. They just now figured out.
, Wait not them but Gamestop Corp, the portion buyback on unsold games to slash prices rather than refunded send backs, how DVD and VHS has worked for ages.
KingGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #13
Johan
Take it easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVe View Post
The problem with game sales is that they are simply too damn expensive....Either prices need to change, or people need to start getting more value for their purchase. 8-hour games aren't gonna cut it any longer.
I agree, I agree, and I agree again!

I've stopped buying full-price titles. I buy the vast majority of my games "new" at retail, but "old" in terms of price...when they hit $20 or less, typically. Most games do, eventually, and my lack of interest in multiplayer means I miss nothing of substance by waiting and actually gain a lot, including extra content, patches, user-mods, free DLC, and on and on...
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #14
Norse
Insert credit

Send a message via MSN to Norse
How much do the game publishers get from game rentals? I imagine gamefly and other get too much of the money the publishers and developers should get.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
menage
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVe View Post
The problem with game sales is that they are simply too damn expensive. I've switched almost entirely to rentals myself as it gives me much more value for my dollar. Either prices need to change, or people need to start getting more value for their purchase. 8-hour games aren't gonna cut it any longer.
I don't think the length of the game automatically defines the quality. I'd rather have 8 hours of godlike entertainment than 45 mediocre ones. It's also kinda nice to blow through a game in a weekend sometimes, most of the time I don't finish em at all or 6 months later during dry spells.

Quality is key though

Sometimes you really like stuff the first few hours, and then get bored. That's where I would like a rental system. For all the Creeds and Mirrors edges in this world. Ultimate rentals.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:39 AM   #16
roboninja
Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
How much do the game publishers get from game rentals? I imagine gamefly and other get too much of the money the publishers and developers should get.
I would assume the publisher/devs get nothing. The rental company buys the game, and then rents it out.
roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #17
Schnoogs
Banned

This is the future anyways...good luck renting out Steam or XBLA games.

Once physical media goes away so do rentals.
Schnoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #18
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Next up they will ban chewing gum and walking at the same time. Because it also poses as much risk to your person. Then Walking will be banned, because god forbid you should turn your ankle.

Hey, it's for your own good, free choice sucks anyways.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Schnoogs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Next up they will ban chewing gum and walking at the same time. Because it also poses as much risk to your person. Then Walking will be banned, because god forbid you should turn your ankle.

Hey, it's for your own good, free choice sucks anyways.
They call that european progress
Schnoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #20
Sl1pstream
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
They have Gamestops in Belgium don't they? Just buy a game used and return it with the receipt and say you didn't like it or something....it's not technically rental.
We don't.

I only know one store chain that even offers rentals to be honest, so I doubt that it's that big of a deal. Still sucks, even though it's been years since I personally rented a game.

EDIT: After looking at today's newspaper, there was already a law against game rentals for years. All that's changing now is that they're actually going to follow that law, instead of looking the other way.

Just found a letter from BEA (Belgian Entertainment Association) that someone got in May about this. It's not something that happened overnight.
Apparently they couldn't add new titles to their rentals since June, the ban starts on the first of December.

Last edited by Sl1pstream; 10-31-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Sl1pstream is offline   Reply With Quote