welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #61
Vandabo
Guise srsly

I just started Geosynchron the third book of the Infoquake series by David Louis Edelman. The first two were pretty good, they are very fast paced, which I really needed after Robinson's Mars trilogy. The level of technology in the books is such that it's sometimes hard to suspend disbelief, but they are still entertaining and have some interesting ideas.

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #62
Wilkz07
blarg?

Book:
Driven To Distraction - Jeremy Clarkson

eBook:
Into the Storm - Taylor Anderson

When those are done I have:

Pirate Latitudes - Michael Crichton
Girl who played with fire - Stieg Larsson
Footfall - Larry Niven
Dreampark - Larry Niven

ebook
Maurader - Taylor Anderson
Game of thrones - george martin
3rd Destroyermen book by Taylor Anderson
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #63
Scaryfaced
Kung Fu Treachery

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablopath View Post
I'm thinking about entering the Warhammer 40k universe and getting into The Horus Heresy books. I'm also thinking about getting into the Mass Effect novels.

I wonder which is a better way to spend my time and money.
I'd highly recommend the Horus Heresy books, though it's turned into a money sink hole for me, so be warned. But if you're curious, read the first of the series. If that doesnt grab you, you're probably not going to like anything else you'll pick up.
Scaryfaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #64
Vyzov
Rainwave Music Manager

I just finished reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman and have just started on Good Omens by him and Terry Pratchett.

Fragile Things contained some awesome short stories and poems and is actually my introduction to Gaiman, someone I've been meaning to read for years. Good Omens so far has also been fantastic, so funny.

My grandpa sells condoms to sailors, He punctures the tips with a pin,
My grandma does back-street abortions, My God how the money rolls in.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #65
rein
TEAM BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkz07 View Post
Book:
Driven To Distraction - Jeremy Clarkson

eBook:
Into the Storm - Taylor Anderson

When those are done I have:

Pirate Latitudes - Michael Crichton
Girl who played with fire - Stieg Larsson
Footfall - Larry Niven
Dreampark - Larry Niven

ebook
Maurader - Taylor Anderson
Game of thrones - george martin
3rd Destroyermen book by Taylor Anderson
I have The Girl Who Played With Fire along with the other two books in the millenium trilogy on my short list of books to read soon. Included on that list is Under the Dome by Stephen King, and Stories: All New Tales by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio. I have a few other books on the list too but I'm not going to bother mentioning them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyzov View Post
I just finished reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman and have just started on Good Omens by him and Terry Pratchett.

Fragile Things contained some awesome short stories and poems and is actually my introduction to Gaiman, someone I've been meaning to read for years. Good Omens so far has also been fantastic, so funny.

My grandpa sells condoms to sailors, He punctures the tips with a pin,
My grandma does back-street abortions, My God how the money rolls in.
I adore Neil Gaiaman's short stories. His novels aren't too bad either. What little reading I have done over the past few years Gaiman is responsible for about 90% of it. I guess it's pretty easy to guess I am a fan of his work if you notice my avatar is taken from one of the illustrations in The Graveyard Book.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #66
Wilkz07
blarg?

I started Under the Dome when I finished Clive Cussler's The Wrecker but I didn't get too far into Dome. Will eventually get to finish it.

I have been holding off buying Clive Cussler's The Spy until I finish a few books I have already.

If you like the show Burn Notice the books by Tod Goldberg are good, basically episodes. The new one is called The Giveaway.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #67
KSmitty
Colonist

Finished Warbreaker, and have moved on to The Name of the Wind - Rothfuss. I am really digging it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkz07 View Post
I started Under the Dome when I finished Clive Cussler's The Wrecker but I didn't get too far into Dome. Will eventually get to finish it.
I planned on getting this when it went to paperback. Then it did go to paperback... which is the EXACT SAME SIZE as the giant hardcover. Guess I'll have to wait for the second paperback release.
KSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #68
Stoke
Who?

Send a message via AIM to Stoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSmitty View Post
Finished Warbreaker, and have moved on to The Name of the Wind - Rothfuss. I am really digging it so far.

I planned on getting this when it went to paperback. Then it did go to paperback... which is the EXACT SAME SIZE as the giant hardcover. Guess I'll have to wait for the second paperback release.
How did you like Warbreaker? I personally love most of Sanderson's books but I know a lot of people don't care for him.

Right now I'm in the middle of The Magicians for my second read through. I'm not sure if I'm going to read it all the way through before I jump to something else though. When I started I didn't have any other books laying around but now I have The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on my Kindle and it's getting hard to ignore. It's not my usual genre but the hype drew me in.

Last edited by Stoke; 08-16-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #69
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Is there anything out there about a pack of female werewolves. Borderline erotica? O_o
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #70
Vandabo
Guise srsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Is there anything out there about a pack of female werewolves. Borderline erotica? O_o

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 AM   #71
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

I was going to post the penny arcade strip, but then I scrolled down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #72
KSmitty
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
How did you like Warbreaker? I personally love most of Sanderson's books but I know a lot of people don't care for him.
He creates a new system of magic that is very interesting, if not fully fleshed out. If you enjoyed Elantris, then you'll like Warbreaker.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #73
Stoke
Who?

Send a message via AIM to Stoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSmitty View Post
He creates a new system of magic that is very interesting, if not fully fleshed out. If you enjoyed Elantris, then you'll like Warbreaker.
Have you tried the Mistborn trilogy? Allomancy is a much more fleshed out system than that in Warbreaker. If you liked the book I also recommend his annotations for the books. He's on Warbreaker now and usually posts another chapter every week but the complete annotations for Elantris are already posted. They're a quick read usually and give a little more back story and why he wrote things the way he did.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #74
diablopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryfaced View Post
I'd highly recommend the Horus Heresy books, though it's turned into a money sink hole for me, so be warned. But if you're curious, read the first of the series. If that doesnt grab you, you're probably not going to like anything else you'll pick up.
I picked up Horus Rising. I'm only a dozen or so pages in, but since it opened so nicely, I'm already intrigued. I hope to finish it in a day or two so I can give a complete opinion.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #75
Vyzov
Rainwave Music Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
I adore Neil Gaiaman's short stories. His novels aren't too bad either. What little reading I have done over the past few years Gaiman is responsible for about 90% of it. I guess it's pretty easy to guess I am a fan of his work if you notice my avatar is taken from one of the illustrations in The Graveyard Book.
I have avatars disabled so I can't tell. I just picked up Smoke and Mirrors as well, I'm really loving these collections of short stories and such more so then a full novel. Anyone have any other good suggestions of short story anthologies or such?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #76
Vandabo
Guise srsly

I just finished David Louis Edelman's "Jump 255" Trilogy, consisting of Infoquake, Multireal and Geosynchron. They were pretty enjoyable, and had some interesting concepts. There were a few too many unexplained miracle technologies for my taste, but I enjoyed them overall.

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #77
KSmitty
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Have you tried the Mistborn trilogy? Allomancy is a much more fleshed out system than that in Warbreaker. If you liked the book I also recommend his annotations for the books. He's on Warbreaker now and usually posts another chapter every week but the complete annotations for Elantris are already posted. They're a quick read usually and give a little more back story and why he wrote things the way he did.
Yes I read the Mistborn trilogy, I really liked the first book and the magic system and the culture around it were very interesting. I know that Sanderson post to his blog often, but for some reason I never visit his site.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #78
Sandman
Libratorr

Anyone here read Peter F. Hamilton? I ordered Pandora's Star from the library today...seems to be a good starting point for The Commonwealth Universe.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #79
Jason
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Anyone here read Peter F. Hamilton? I ordered Pandora's Star from the library today...seems to be a good starting point for The Commonwealth Universe.
I've read one of his books. Can't remember much about it. I think it was decent though.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #80
Crittias
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Good books. Just finished The Dreaming Void & The Temporal Void while on vacation. The last of the Void books comes out next week, I think.
Crittias is online now   Reply With Quote