welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Demon's Souls: New Dark Fantasy RPG from Sony & From Software

A feature in this week's edition of Japanese games mag Famitsu has revealed Demon's Souls, a new RPG from Sony and From Software (Armored Core) for the Playstation 3.

Described as a the spiritual successor to the cult classic PS1 RPG, King's Field, Demon's Souls is called a "dark fantasy action RPG." But in a departure, the game seems to share more in common with open world western RPGs like Oblivion than the more tightly constrained RPGs we normally get from Japan.
Quote:
"You get only the barest minimum of a goal, and there's nothing forcing you to do anything in the game," Kajii said. "People say to you 'Save the world,' but you can ignore them and keep going if you like."
This is an interesting move by Sony, and it plays into the recent assertion that the current crop of consoles are ignoring Japanese gamers. I'm also curious to see if the western sensibilites end at the gameplay, or if they entend into the storytelling. An open world RPG, wrapped around a more traditional JRPG story would certainly make for an unusual package.

Demon's Soul will be playable at the Tokyo Game Show later this month, and should be available for the Playstation 3 in Japan next year.

Source - 1UP.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

One of the many unannounced games they said yesterday that would be at the show. It looks pretty good from the screens that have come out.
PSN ID: Gorvi - Steam ID: gorvivelgin
Gorvi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
SPBTooL
Dad of Doom & Sacrifice

It looks very Japanese to me. I think you can have a JRPG style game in an open world. We all knew that someone had to try it at some point.

The JRPGs on the 360 seem to finally be doing well for them over there now.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Grifter
Cognified

I always felt the Kingsfield games left quite a bit to be desired, hopefully that was more a limitation of hardware and less on design decisions and this will be better.

All About Martial Arts
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
roboninja
Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
I always felt the Kingsfield games left quite a bit to be desired, hopefully that was more a limitation of hardware and less on design decisions and this will be better.
It did, but I got the impression that many of the faults were technical limitations. The true open nature of the world was great. I will most definitely keep an eye on this one.
roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

I don't know why but seeing word's like Demon and From Software, I just moan a little. Where is Otogi 3? It'll finally make it money.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
pomeroy
FREE DISGUSTIPATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I don't know why but seeing word's like Demon and From Software, I just moan a little. Where is Otogi 3? It'll finally make it money.
Oh, man. I'd totally forgotten about Otogi. DAMN I want Otogi 3 now.
pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Spigot
Turn Me

Unless it can capture the magic of Otogi, I won't hold my breath. The first Armored Core games were sweet but that franchise is long past stale and I haven't been terribly impressed with much else from them. They just seem rather behind the curve in a lot of ways.
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Unless it can capture the magic of Otogi, I won't hold my breath. The first Armored Core games were sweet but that franchise is long past stale and I haven't been terribly impressed with much else from them. They just seem rather behind the curve in a lot of ways.
They did make the awesome Chromehounds. I'm not writing From off just yet. I think what did the Otogi series in was the lack of press. It got peoples attention but on only on a gamer level.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
Old 10-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
BlackPete
Colonist

I kinda wish they'd release screenshots to go along with this PR. Oh well, still sounds promising... I still need to buy a third game for my PS3 to sit alongside Everyday Shooter and Super Stardust!
BlackPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #11
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPete View Post
I kinda wish they'd release screenshots to go along with this PR. Oh well, still sounds promising... I still need to buy a third game for my PS3 to sit alongside Everyday Shooter and Super Stardust!
Gorvi made a thread with pictures.
ArmoredXerxes

Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #12
Spigot
Turn Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
They did make the awesome Chromehounds. I'm not writing From off just yet. I think what did the Otogi series in was the lack of press. It got peoples attention but on only on a gamer level.
Lack of BC also didn't help the Otogi games...

My problem was that I came into Chromehounds about a year too late. I tried it out and while it was essentially like a massively multiplayer Armored Core game (which is awesome), there was nobody really playing it by the time I got my 360 and tried it out.
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 AM   #13
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Yeah, FROM are the kings of awesome concepts and lackluster execution. Hopefully this turns out to be one of their few really good games, like Otogi.
PSN ID: Gorvi - Steam ID: gorvivelgin
Gorvi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #14
NoName
Light in the darkness

Send a message via ICQ to NoName Send a message via AIM to NoName
I can't wait for any RPG to be coming out on the PS3. I'm in need of using it as more than a BluRay player.
You're a weird guy, NoName, and we're glad to have you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox View Post
NoName, by the authority vested in me by no one, I hereby induct you into the Order of Hawkzombie's Sock, for extraordinary service to the CoG community.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote