welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 05-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #81
rein
TEAM BLUE

Count me in the group that picked up the Civ IV pack off steam too. A lot of game for the ten bucks.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #82
Kelegacy
All Around Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederec View Post
That door is difficult to get open. It requires you to rescue Ostrava throughout world 1. This is tricky because he has a habit of dying in 1-2. To avoid that, I didn't bother saving him in 1-2 until I had opened the path to 1-3, so I'd only need to save him once. In 1-3, he can actually be a bit of an asset. Ostrava finally gives you the key to that room when you see him at the end of 1-4, before the boss. But if he dies before that point and you don't loot his body, he's gone until you start a new game.
I saved him in 1-1 but don't recall seeing him in 1-2. So that probably means the guy is dead.

And after beating the tower knight you can't progress any further until late in the game right? I don't think I can get through the mist into 1-3.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #83
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWolfmanD View Post
I bought the complete pack off Steam too since I just had the base game before. The main reason--besides not being good at Civ--that I didn't try to play in one of those other games was that I didn't have the expansions. I wouldn't mind trying a multiplayer game if it's not too difficult to set up.

I actually haven't installed the games yet because I didn't want to lose my entire week. Now I'm tempted to start downloading it so I can get used to the game again and check out what the expansions added. I'm afraid my Weekday post tomorrow may end up just saying "Civ IV."
Someone would have to set up a game and host it for all of us, but I don't think it's too difficult. I'd check out one of the other Civ game threads to find out how to do it. The DirectIP method seems to work best.

I can't do it, as I don't leave my computer on all day and my net connection is slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
Count me in the group that picked up the Civ IV pack off steam too. A lot of game for the ten bucks.
Would you be interesting in playing a multiplayer game with us as well?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #84
frederec
Predictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post
I saved him in 1-1 but don't recall seeing him in 1-2. So that probably means the guy is dead.

And after beating the tower knight you can't progress any further until late in the game right? I don't think I can get through the mist into 1-3.
He's in the lower level of the bridge in 1-2. If you haven't seen him, that may actually be a good sign.

You can get through the mist to 1-3 once you've finished one of the other worlds. Most people finish world 2 first, because beating 2-2 is necessary to be able to do special weapon upgrades, and 2-3 is actually not that hard.

I suggest after unlocking the way to 1-3, go back to 1-2. Go down below the bridge in the first tower, and head in the direction of the beginning of 1-2. There will be some enemies, then you'll get back to the area just below where 1-2 started. That's where Ostrava should be. If you've unlocked 1-3 at this point, you can run back to the nexus and he'll be safe.
frederec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #85
Kelegacy
All Around Nice Guy

Oh, I seem to remember something now. Is Ostrava in a cell in 1-2? I can't remember if I let him out or not. Those stupid wolves always get me anxious so I bypassed them today and came out on the other side of them.

And isn't world 2 the Burrow King one? With Flamelurker and Dragon God? I've avoided those two levels as I got worried about them being too hard for me now.

In 4-1, Shrine of Souls I think, I am up to the Adjudicator boss. I haven't activated him yet but I am at the mist. I decided to go back to the Nexus to level up a bit before tackling him. I hope I don't get my ass kicked.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #86
frederec
Predictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post
Oh, I seem to remember something now. Is Ostrava in a cell in 1-2? I can't remember if I let him out or not. Those stupid wolves always get me anxious so I bypassed them today and came out on the other side of them.
You see the wolves if you go forward (towards the boss) in 1-2, you see Ostrava if you go the other way. He's not in a cell, but he's up against an iron fence. If you get close he'll start attacking the enemies nearby, so you want to get through them relatively quickly.

Quote:
And isn't world 2 the Burrow King one? With Flamelurker and Dragon God? I've avoided those two levels as I got worried about them being too hard for me now.
Yes. Flamelurker's soul can be given to the blacksmith at the beginning of 2-1 to get the ability to do special weapon upgrades. He's tough, but there are tricks to make him easier (if you've got ranged attacks).

Quote:
In 4-1, Shrine of Souls I think, I am up to the Adjudicator boss. I haven't activated him yet but I am at the mist. I decided to go back to the Nexus to level up a bit before tackling him. I hope I don't get my ass kicked.
If you go up against Adjudicator, just remember not to stay up and away, but to get close, and go for the wound in his belly. When he falls, hit the shining bird. Seriously.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #87
MagGnome

I finally started up Again today.

So far it is...weird. I really have no idea what's going on. It seems a little overly-dramatic to me, and nothing is making any sense.

Is it supposed to be set up like a TV show?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #88
Jason
Colonist

Played the first three levels or so of Valkyria Chronicles today. I love the graphics and that Vyse and Aika from Skies of Arcadia are in the game. I finished Uncharted Friday evening. That game started slow, but hooked me about half way through it. I'm waiting for Uncharted 2 to arrive this week. Between Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Yakuza 3 I should have plenty of gaming goodness to last the next couple months. I am also thinking of getting Wipeout HD. Is it any good? For just $20, it can't be too bad can it?
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #89
rein
TEAM BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Would you be interesting in playing a multiplayer game with us as well?
I'm interested but I need to LTP first. It's been a very long time since I have played a civ game. I think it goes all the way back to the original. I'm going to start up a single player campaign and see how it goes.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #90
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
You definitely need to do that. It's even better than the first two games. I think you'll be hooked once you get a little ways in and they throw a nice twist related to the first game at you which you have to keep playing to find out what is going on.
I think I met that twist. Yes, I was surprised. I won't say more so not to spoil if for Spig and others who will play. And like Y2 was better than Y1, once again Sega has improved the game leaps and bounds to make it more enjoyable game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWolfmanD
I finished Heavy Rain last night. All I can really say is that it was amazing, and that everyone else who mentioned that they were playing it or going to play it soon should try to get to it as soon as possible. I'm going to check out the DLC later this afternoon, and then I might replay some of the chapters to see how things would have gone differently--especially one of the conversation dependent ones since I had problems telling the circle and square choices apart and messed up picking the choices I wanted. I'll definitely have to play it again in a few months and unlock all the other endings.
I think after I finish Yakuza 3 (it should be a while) i'm going back to HR. I haven't bought the DLC yet but will buy it when I go back. Someone spoiled some of the other endings which i'm trying to forget. I will say you want to see more of the endings. They weren't kidding when they said there would be consequences from your choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederec View Post

I just happened to go to Best Buy a few minutes ago, and they had Yakuza 3 for $40! So I picked it up. They also had Resonance of Fate for $50, but that wasn't quite cheap enough, especially since I was definitely getting Yakuza 3, and I don't even know when I'll get to playing it (since I've still got to play 1 and 2).

I can't wait to see what you think of the game. I know you like offbeat games and this is certainly at times...offbeat. Not offbeat as some of the games you play but enough so I think you will enjoy the game. Like what has been said many times over...the first one is probably the hardest to get into. That's because the combat is a bit quirky. The controls aren't as concise/tight as you want in a game but I think you have dealt with worse and finished games. The second game should (one hopes) show you why you purchased all three games. Well besides the constant hype around here and you are just tired of reading about these games
Quote:

You, myself, Spigot, Xydarc, and some others from this thread should start a game of Civ IV just for Weekend/Weekday gamers. That would be fun!
That would be awesome!
Quote:
I bought the complete pack off Steam too since I just had the base game before. The main reason--besides not being good at Civ--that I didn't try to play in one of those other games was that I didn't have the expansions. I wouldn't mind trying a multiplayer game if it's not too difficult to set up.

I actually haven't installed the games yet because I didn't want to lose my entire week. Now I'm tempted to start downloading it so I can get used to the game again and check out what the expansions added. I'm afraid my Weekday post tomorrow may end up just saying "Civ IV."
We can be slaughtered together as the Civ vets storm our cities and conquer our nations And all my weekday post is going to say is lots of Yakuza 3. I like when a game can capture all of my attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
Yes! Another Civ player.
Quote:
I finally started up Again today.

So far it is...weird. I really have no idea what's going on. It seems a little overly-dramatic to me, and nothing is making any sense.

Is it supposed to be set up like a TV show?
Yes, it does start weird. It might take a while to get used to the movements of the characters. They are laughable though and pretty much stay that way. The plot is overly-dramatic but most who dunnits are. As you get deeper into the game it becomes more addictive.

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #91
MagGnome

I'm definitely going to stick with it. In fact, I think I'll play it now.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #92
frederec
Predictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
I can't wait to see what you think of the game. I know you like offbeat games and this is certainly at times...offbeat. Not offbeat as some of the games you play but enough so I think you will enjoy the game. Like what has been said many times over...the first one is probably the hardest to get into. That's because the combat is a bit quirky. The controls aren't as concise/tight as you want in a game but I think you have dealt with worse and finished games. The second game should (one hopes) show you why you purchased all three games. Well besides the constant hype around here and you are just tired of reading about these games
Let me put it this way: I downloaded the demo for Yakuza 3 a while ago. When I got out of the club and saw the little sequence with the girl kicking the businessman's ass for groping her, and you learned a battle skill as a result, I went out and bought Yakuza 1 and 2 with intention to get Yakuza 3 when it became affordable (or I got the money). So that's basically buying two games, and planning to buy a third, because of a demo I've never even finished. I even replayed that part of the demo just so my wife could see that part, it cracked me up so much.

I've gotten a fair chunk of the way through Yakuza 1. And while the combat can be annoying, I've had lots of fun with it. I'm hoping these games will be one of the things I get through this summer.

In the vein of getting through things, I did manage to get into chapter 11 in Final Fantasy XIII. It's amazing how opening up the field and having some little side-quest missions can make me a little more positive towards the game, even if a lot of the enemies in the area destroy me easily.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #93
AliasRomanian
Colonist

Send a message via AIM to AliasRomanian
I just beat three bosses in demon's souls this weekend. Gonna try to beat one more before tonight.

Steam and PSN ID: AliasRomanian
AliasRomanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #94
drobvice
Colonist

WeekEND gaming(5/7/10)- What are YOU playing?

It's fun playing Civ IV again. Random exploration rules! Glad I caught the sale.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #95
pomeroy
FREE DISGUSTIPATED

I picked up Tiger Woods 10, after a hilarious golf outing this weekend sparked my interest.

Jesus Christ, I have no fucking idea what I'm doing. But it's fun.
pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:21 AM   #96
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
I picked up Tiger Woods 10, after a hilarious golf outing this weekend sparked my interest.

Jesus Christ, I have no fucking idea what I'm doing. But it's fun.
I love this series. I only play the PSP version religiously but it's a fun Golf RPG

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote