welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Victorvonviolence
Colonist

My experience with SFIV arcade

Alright this is normally not my thing (more of a poster than a threader) but I thought I'd share my experience with my awesome opportunity to play the SFIV arcade game. I don't know the actual availability of these cabinets but they seem hard to find so I'll try to share some info to those folks yet to try it.

First off the game lets you pick the option to practice against three AI opponents before being open to human challengers. I found this a helpful option as it let me learn the ropes a little before being stomped by humies. Hopefully, something like this can be implemented in Live or the PSN, drop in players a la gears that lets you face humans while in the single player mode.

I usually pick either E. Honda or Sagat but since some young kid sneered at me for using Honda in my first battle I decided to use him for the rest of the night. While I did get my ask kicked by some of the veterans, my old SF skills allowed me to win a few matches here and there. All the old moves are there with the addition of some new ones and a strange new "special" system that I didn't get the hang of. I have to say that I found the speed of the fighting to be just right, not too fast so onlookers will get confused (say like Guilty Gear) and not too slow to lose intensity. Talking about intensity, this game really get a crowd going. Everyone knows the moves, can appreciate the skills being used and even recognize the usefulness of the new character's moves since they're implemented so well.

I'll finish off with some of the mechanics. Graphics are handled surprisingly well, screenshots don't really do the game justice in displaying the amount of vibrancy in the characters and backgrounds. Special effects look impressive but more importantly they're not too over the top to distract you from the gameplay. The music is fantastic, I wholeheartedly recommend to fans of the series to find some of the remixed that's as they are well worth listening to on their own.

So that's it, I'd be happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.
Victorvonviolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Deadend
Done

Send a message via AIM to Deadend
What arcade, and how much per play?
Deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
Victorvonviolence
Colonist

shoryuken.com has a great thread outlining which cabinets are where

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=165008

how I found the one near me.

Games were 75c a pop
Old 10-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Canada: British Columbia

-Burnaby
CHQ Arcade in Metropolis at Metrotown
4700 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC
Head-to-head Japanese setups
75 cents
Never-ending competition
Nice. I just dropped off my monitor yesterday for a service and I'll have to pick it up again on the weekend...and it's right next door to this arcade
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
Victorvonviolence
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
Nice. I just dropped off my monitor yesterday for a service and I'll have to pick it up again on the weekend...and it's right next door to this arcade
I've been there, it's quite nice as they provide stools in which to sit and its off in a corner so people can't clutter too much.