welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
WeekDAY gaming(11/23/09)- What are you (still) playing?

As another weekend comes to a close, the rice was thrown, some vows were exchanged followed by all night partying by our very own Kelegacy. For most it’s just another weekday beginning, waving goodbye to the weekend. For Kelegacy though, he said goodbye to his bachelorhood and certainly went out with a bang. The Weekday thread has exclusive pics from Kelegacy’s special night right here:

So what now for the married gamer? Guesses of how much his gaming hobby time will be lessened but we come back with more exclusive pics of Kelegacy will ease the pain of less gaming:

As another weekend comes to a close, the rice was thrown, some vows were exchanged followed by all night partying by our very own Kelegacy. For most it’s just another weekday beginning, waving goodbye to the weekend. For Kelegacy though, he said goodbye to his bachelorhood and certainly went out with a bang. The Weekday thread has exclusive pics from Kelegacy’s special night right here:

Enough roasting of the newly committed, back to the rest of us and reviews of the plays from the weekend. My own weekend looked as planned. Some paper writing, some paper writing avoidance caused by some of these:

Assassins Creed: Bloodlines- Probably the game I spent most time with this weekend. AC:B won’t be embarrassing it’s bigger sibling on the console version. A great way to get some AC playing while away from the bigger AC game.

Assassins Creed 2- Loving the game for the same reason I loved the first: So much to do, just enjoying the side quests and checking out the sights. Now add in picking fights with your enemies so you can loot them and finding treasure boxes. The races still suck though.

Ratchet and Clank Future: ToD- Wow, it feels like I never left the series. Not a bad thing...just amazing I feel I'm playing almost the same game...just shinier, newer weapons and damn does that camera spin around really really fast. I thought I was going to give myself vertigo Still, loads of fun with this game.

Hung over from the weekend? Let us know while you retell the weekends events and what YOU played.

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
Camel
The Dude abides.

That can't be Kelegacy. Not enough hair.

Only two days of work for me this week. I plan on filling the other days with overeating and Call of Duty.
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
menage
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Assassins Creed 2- Loving the game for the same reason I loved the first: So much to do,
My main problem with the first was that there was actually a lack of shit to do.

I played Ratchet & Clank CIT this weekend mostly, and while the former one wasn't a bad game, I'd actually call this one a return to form for inSomniac. It just breathes fun a lot more, and weapon customization isn't as lame as in Future. Loads of stiuff to collect as well this time.

Critter Crunch
was bought and loved by both me and my GF. What a great puzzle game.

I really tried getting into MW2 for a couple of tries, But I suck at it and therefore the game sucks as well. Just too many archaic designs flaws that all the graphics in the world can't fix for me. I'm not a huge FPS though, it just lacks variety.

For the coming week - I will play

Ratchet, Dragon Age, Critter Crunch

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud

Last edited by menage; 11-23-2009 at 06:23 AM.
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Camel
The Dude abides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menage View Post
My main problem with the first was that there was actually a lack of shit to do.
For me, the problem was that the stuff that was there to do wasn't much fun. I liked the assassinations fine, but collecting 12 bajillion flags scattered around the cities was not my idea of a good time.

I can't wait to get Assassin's Creed 2 for cheap. I really liked the first game (despite the complaint I just made) and the second looks way better.

Also, glad to see someone else enjoying Critter Crunch! It is one of the best-looking games I've played this year.
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Kelegacy
All Around Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
That can't be Kelegacy. Not enough hair.
Exactly. Think Chewbacca with a bigger penis.

I have this entire week off, so I think I will be playing all of the following (plus some):

GTA IV: The Lost and Damned (360) - I hope to beat it this week. Great so far.

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3) - having some mindless fun with this one. It's not great, but it was $10 and I'm having $10 worth of fun with it.

Watchmen: The Complete Experience
(PS3) - this stupid brawler hasn't arrived at my doorstep yet, but when it does I'll be playing both brutal, yet repetitive games, and maybe I'll pop the Blu-Ray in that comes with it. Another great $10 pick-up.

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) - if I get the time.

Demon's Souls (PS3) - if I get the time.

The Bigs 2 (PS3) - scored this and Godfather 2 (PS3) for about $25 at Target on clearance. Used the $10 coupon in the toy flyer. Might go back this week and pick up a few more clearance titles for cheap. I'm eyeballing Red Faction, Call of Juarez and Mini Ninjas. If they drop, I'll score 'em.

Maybe Torchlight (PC) as well.

I might also rent:

Brutal Legend (PS3) and another game I'm not sure of yet. But probably a short game, since that's what I usually rent. Maybe ODST or CoD6?

And don't forget planning for Black Friday!
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

I'm still sulking over my broken PS3. Damn, I hadn't realized how much that thing had become the focus of my entertainment at home, I feel lost without it there to play.

Final Fantasy XI I played this a bit over the weekend, and after some damn good parties, I hit my goal of getting my Red Mage to 65. All of my parties have been synched down to the 55-57 range on Colibri, but at least those are the kind that you can still actually cast on, so it wasn't so bad. This week should see more FFXI, if I can hit 68-69 or so by the end of the weekend I'll be very happy.

Persona Like I said in the Weekend thread, the game is losing it's appeal for me. If I can get myself motivated to play a different PSP or DS game, I may very well just put this down for a bit.

Super Paper Mario I played a little, but it's fun. For some reason I'm not feeling the urge to play it, but it wasn't bad.

This week, if I do end up putting Persona down, I'll probably just end up starting Persona 4. I need some in depth single player game to distract me from the fact that I can't play Fallout 3 right now.
DananRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair
PSN ID: Gorvi - Steam ID: gorvivelgin
Gorvi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Vigil80
Colonist

Assassin's Creed 2 is so good. Lately I've been on a feather collecting drive. Once I unlock all of the last city, that will be my goal before moving on. I can't keep from getting 100% completion in this game, it's so delicious.

Adventures in Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer continue. I actually played with someone else from here for just a little while last night. Other colonists do exist. It's miraculous.

And there's always Dragon Age and Sims 3. I'm actually sort of waiting for Dragon Age to get a patch before starting it up heavy duty again. Depending on where I am in AC2, these might see some real playtime on Thursday.
Vigil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
rein
TEAM BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post
Exactly. Think Chewbacca with a bigger penis.

I have this entire week off, so I think I will be playing all of the following (plus some)....
I hope you cleared that long list with the wife.

I have no idea what I will be playing this week. Most likely iPhone games because I chose to work this week and I will spend Thanksgiving visiting family and friends. The phone is probably the only device I will have in my possession that plays games. That being said, Beneath a Steel Sky will probably get the bulk of my time.

I've also been trying to get into Zenonia but the controls are putting me off a bit. I do not mind that it plays more like a console game than an iPhone game. I mind that the controller seems to be too sensitive. I unintentionally dash a lot and can't stop to over loot to collect it very well.

If nothing else I tossed a few SNES and Genesis roms on the thing this past weekend. They seem to play rather well even with the onscreen control pad.

I also need to spend some time with a good book. It's been well over a month since I put down the last one. Any suggestions?
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
Gorvi

Oh! I almost forgot, in place of Persona, I may just throw a PS1 game on the PSP to play. rein, you are awesome, thanks to your little tip I now have PS1 games up and running on the PSP again!

I have Tactics Ogre on there now that I may start up, but I think I'll just rip Ogre Battle and play that instead, it's different enough and I've really been wanting to play that. But hell, Tactics Ogre is only 50MB, so that'll stay on there anyway. I need to find the software that I was using to rip and convert my PS1 games again, we had to wipe our PC a few months back and I didn't bother backing that stuff up since the games weren't working at the time.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
jpublic
Threadslayer

Well, let's see:

Dragon Age - Just entered the forest, and am having fun with the OMG Elfroot everywhere.

Borderlands - Still playing this on and off.

Persona - I tried to go the Bad ending route last night out of curiosity, but I discovered it's not like P3/P4 where it's a short trip to endgame after going the Bad path, you have to play the rest of the damn game. So I nuked that save and am going to try going to the Good path.

Final Fantasy Dissidia - I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong in this game, but it's pissing me off. I massively suck at it.

Current backburner:
L4D2 - played all the campaigns, I'll have to see about playing some online if it gets my mood.

Torchlight - just can't keep interested in this. It's fun when I play, but doesn't do much for keeping me addicted.

Zombie Shooter 2 - I need to sit down and play this for an afternoon to finish it off.

Brutal Legend - Been so busy with PC games I forgot all about it.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
menage
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
Torchlight - just can't keep interested in this. It's fun when I play, but doesn't do much for keeping me addicted..
I had the same problem, but I basically have that with the whole genre. I love it for 2 days and then promptly lose the drive to play it.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
rein
TEAM BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
Oh! I almost forgot, in place of Persona, I may just throw a PS1 game on the PSP to play. rein, you are awesome, thanks to your little tip I now have PS1 games up and running on the PSP again!

I have Tactics Ogre on there now that I may start up, but I think I'll just rip Ogre Battle and play that instead, it's different enough and I've really been wanting to play that. But hell, Tactics Ogre is only 50MB, so that'll stay on there anyway. I need to find the software that I was using to rip and convert my PS1 games again, we had to wipe our PC a few months back and I didn't bother backing that stuff up since the games weren't working at the time.
That is excellent. I may need to upgrade my firmware. Especially now that you have confirmed the PSX compatibility is still working with the GEN-D firmware.

Did Little Big Planet come out for the PSP yet?

..er... yes it did. How did I miss that one? I need to go scrape up some pennies or see if I can get it from GF. I have some GF dollars I need to use.

I know what you mean about the software. My desktop went belly up this weekend. I'm holding out hope I can salvage my software off the hard drive. I still have the older installers stored on it. If not, I have to wade through the new stuff and try to optimize it all over again.

Last edited by rein; 11-23-2009 at 07:58 AM.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
Wraith
Watch out for snakes!

Picked up Assassin's Creed II and NSMB Wii yesterday. Put several hours into AC2.

Playing: Portal 2 (PC); My Mostly Complete Game Library and 2014 Watch List; Gamertag: EasyToType
Watching: The Simpsons, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Interstellar
"I would wish you luck, but I believe luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures."
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post
Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3) - having some mindless fun with this one. It's not great, but it was $10 and I'm having $10 worth of fun with it.

Watchmen: The Complete Experience
(PS3) - this stupid brawler hasn't arrived at my doorstep yet, but when it does I'll be playing both brutal, yet repetitive games, and maybe I'll pop the Blu-Ray in that comes with it. Another great $10 pick-up.

Maybe Torchlight (PC) as well.
The fact that you would rather play Eat Lead and the Watchmen games than Torchlight hurts my soul.

I didn't have much time for gaming this weekend, as I was busy with work and other activities. However, I did finally boot up one game last night, and boy am I glad I did:

Aquaria - I cannot believe it took me so long to finally play this game. It's great! It's gorgeous with good voice acting and great music, and I'm having a great time swimming through the caverns and discovering the underwater world. I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time with this one during the week. It's basically a Metroidvania-style game set underwater.

Unfortunately I only have Thursday off this week (as well as Sat and Sun), but I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time with Aquaria.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
hunterx280
Prism Like Focus

I had a pretty decent weekend for gaming and the week is looking good as well.

Left 4 Dead 2 - I played a decent amount this weekend. Still really liking this game. All the campaigns have been completed but I still need to play VS and Scavenger mode. Considering how much fun I've got out of it and how much more there will be I'm pretty happy I got this.

Lost Odyssey - I finished up disk 2 and played a couple minutes on disk 3. Just enough to get to the save point. Hopefully I can finish this up over the next few weeks.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - The wife and I haven't gotten very far, only world 4. It's mostly because I'm a stickler for getting all the giant star coins. I still have a few to go back and get but so far I have most of them. Just like in Super Mario World, a lot of time playing this will be spent secret hunting.

Team Fortress 2 - Unlocked my Bill Hat, played with the CoG crew. Had some fun. Still one of my favorite games and it never gets old.

I think the rest of the week is going to end up looking a lot like the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldmaiden View Post
I just wanted you to know that you were dealing with EXPLODING FUCKING DINOSAURS.
hunterx280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
Cyndair
Warrior of Light

Mass Effect: ME took the majority of my gaming time this weekend. I probably logged in around 12 hours or so thanks to my wife giving me a break from the little guy. I didn't get jack done around the house because of all the time spent gaming but it sure was nice. Anyway, Mass Effect continues to impress. I'm having a blast with this game. I believe I'm getting close to the end now. I've been doing a side mission here or there but I'm not going out of my way to do the extras. It's hard to break away from the main storyline. Still, it's fun venturing down to an unexplored planet and taking a look around every now and again. I've been spending a lot of time with the dialogue and characters as well since that part of the game is particularly engaging for me. I also love how some of the decisions that you make are literally life or death for some of your team members. It's deep man.

NSMB: Wii: My sister stopped by to visit yesterday and we played through worlds 1 and 2. What a blast. It felt like we were laughing almost the entire time. Say what you will about Nintendo but they know how to do local multiplayer and make it fun.
Cyndair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
Cavalier
Colonist

Went through a dodgy graphics card stretch this weekend, loads of indoor texture on Borderlands were missing so it was just a grey mess, worst cases were Treach's Landing which had lots of grey floor (I was fully expecting to walk off the walkway and fall into the water), and Thor which had the same grey flooring up on the roof.

Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and things are behaving, so back to kicking Crimson Lance butt.

Dragon Age didn't really get a look in because it would crash (screen lock up) about 2 minutes into playing, didn't get to test after reinstall but will give it go (pressing F5 every minute) and see if reinstall fixed it
Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #18
Spigot
Turn Me

Ah, Disc 3 of Lost Odyssey is the most linear of the discs. Disc 4 really opens up.

So here's what I played this weekend:

Dragon Age: Origins (PC) - I'm right at the end encounter for the Soldier's Peak quest but my tank keeps dying. I want everyone to live, damn it!

Nostalgia (DS) - I sunk a pile of time into this on Saturday at the Christmas At The In-Laws shindig. I finally made it to St. Petersburg and am getting my ass kicked by the airships that lurk nearby. Whoever complained about this game being easy wasn't taking the airship combat into account. That's where the game pulls out the stops and wallops you on the head if you venture outside of where you should be!

Gyromancer (PC) - Even when I wasn't playing this game, I was playing it IN MY MIND. Seriously, if I wake up one more morning with my brain trying to optimize the best way to twist gems so I don't waste a turn, I'm going to commit myself into the very group home I'm essentially running!

Assassin's Creed 2 (PS3) - Thanks for downplaying how good this game is, guys. Sigh. I had fully intended to wait this one out but noooo... And I can't say I'm disappointed that I dropped the full price on the game. It's quite, quite good. I'm still in the early stages where Ezio is a buffoon who likes to beat up morons in alleys, but I'm loving it. I spent far too much time last night just reading all of the lore and historical tid-bits.

That said, has anyone managed to get that uPlay thingamy to work with AC2? I logged into the servers but then it basically kicks me back out saying that, sorry, we can't access the content, neener neener and I'm back at the title screen again.

Torchlight (PC) - I played a little bit of this. I'm so busy exploring side dungeons and parallel universes in this game that I have no idea how far I am in the main dungeon...

I'm working my long week this week but I'm trying to see if I can squeeze a few days off what with my having about 30 hours owed to me in lieu time. If I can, I'll probably put most of my efforts into Dragon Age and AC2.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
Gorvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndair View Post
Lots of stuff that's not FFXI.
You need to log on!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
Nameless
Custom User Title

I died about a million and a half times yesterday playing Dragon Age: Origins as I was in a section where my main character was isolated from the party and they kept throwing groups of pretty powerful enemies at me. One monster in particular just kept stacking stun magic on me over and over so there was nothing I could do while I watched it kill me. So far, this has been the most frustrating part of the game, so I'm glad I'm done, now.

In addition, this is all during a section where I fought an incredibly dangerous optional boss that I had to use up all my healing items to take care of, and there's no shop access during the entire mission, so I couldn't replenish.

The problem area was:
The Fade, while doing the Mage Circle main quest. It's probably worse because I chose to do that one first out of the four quests.

Either way, it's still an amazing game! I'm really happy to be done that part, though.