welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > All Things Sports

Old 03-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #1921
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

You are kidding yourself if you think the WME sale is the reason for this. The UFC has been transitioning into sports entertainment for years now.

I'm fine with it as long as we see exciting matchups. I loved the Nate/Conor 2, I thought Bisping/Hendo was a great story even if Hendo didn't deserve a shot, and I 100% love Bisping vs GSP.

If the fighters don't let getting passed up despite being a killer in the division, maybe it's time to start learning to make yourself get noticed. It's not like this is anything new, it's just being pushed more.

I thought this weekends card was good. Nice to see Shogun winning again, even if he is much slower and can't seem to bounce like he used to thanks to all the knee injuries. Barboza gave us another highlight reel KO, and Gastelum is proving that he is going to be a threat to anyone at 185 and even 170 if he can get back there. I think that guy is championship material within a couple years. His one-two is fantastic and he seems to pop everyone with it until they don't know what to do but fall.

Belfort needs to go, and it sounds like he knows it. Saying that next fight will be his last, and he wants to start a "legends" league with older fighters, 3 minute rounds and longer rest times between rounds. I'd personally watch the shit out of that.
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.
Wackman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #1922
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackman3000 View Post
You are kidding yourself if you think the WME sale is the reason for this. The UFC has been transitioning into sports entertainment for years now.

I'm fine with it as long as we see exciting matchups. I loved the Nate/Conor 2, I thought Bisping/Hendo was a great story even if Hendo didn't deserve a shot, and I 100% love Bisping vs GSP.

If the fighters don't let getting passed up despite being a killer in the division, maybe it's time to start learning to make yourself get noticed. It's not like this is anything new, it's just being pushed more.

I thought this weekends card was good. Nice to see Shogun winning again, even if he is much slower and can't seem to bounce like he used to thanks to all the knee injuries. Barboza gave us another highlight reel KO, and Gastelum is proving that he is going to be a threat to anyone at 185 and even 170 if he can get back there. I think that guy is championship material within a couple years. His one-two is fantastic and he seems to pop everyone with it until they don't know what to do but fall.

Belfort needs to go, and it sounds like he knows it. Saying that next fight will be his last, and he wants to start a "legends" league with older fighters, 3 minute rounds and longer rest times between rounds. I'd personally watch the shit out of that.
Oh, I agree that these problems began before WME. But in their quest to get a return on their investment, they're gonna accelerate their transition to "sports entertainment" to get more eyeballs on their product. There's nothing wrong with a little entertainment, but good fighters are getting passed up for fighters who are marketable. That's already backfired on them a couple of times so far (Rousey, Sage, PVZ).

Chael Sonnen mentioned in his podcast a couple of years ago that UFC fighters would do well to study old wrestling promos; Ric Flair, Jake Roberts, or Steve Austin are guys I would wanna study tape on. Without Joe Silva booking with an iron fist, a title shot is no longer guaranteed. Cutting a good promo (like Derrick Lewis did a few weeks ago) is now as essential as ever in the UFC.

edit: Since I'm talking about promos, here's my favorite UFC promo so far, coming from Nate Diaz:

bnet: LanceUpprcut#11563
XBox: XBox Shmexbox

Last edited by Lance Uppercut; 03-12-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote