welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 12-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Home NAS suggestions

Does anyone have a home NAS they really like? I don't really need any of the on-the-fly video trans-coding or other media features; this isn't going to be an HTPC stand in.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a QNAP because it looks like you can, unofficially at least, run CrashPlan directly on the NAS itself, meaning I wouldn't need to funnel through my PC to run an online backup of the NAS.

Do any other NAS setups allow for this with any of the online backup products?

Last edited by digitalErich; 12-22-2016 at 02:36 PM.
digitalErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
jpublic
Threadslayer

I just use an old D-link one, and use the windows backup features. I have a newer Seagate one my Dad ended up not using. I should get around to setting it up. My current one barely does 100MBit data transfer, and my router is gigabit.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
johnperkins21
Colonist

I've got a two-bay Synology NAS that's been working well for me. Though I don't really use it for much other than RAID protected file storage. I have very few files I worry about backing up, and most of what it does right now is act as an extra storage device for my HTPC.

However, the software it comes with is pretty nice. They make everything very easy, and if you need something else from it, there's a good chance there's an App you can install. I chose ease-of-use over pretty much everything and am happy with the choice so far. It's only been running for a year, but I've had no problems yet.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

I too am interested in this. I need a way to backup data for all of the computers in the house and perhaps my parents computer over the internet. Not sure if I would do HTPC though.

So I will just take a ride along this thread for the information!
Old 12-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Yeah, it's between Synology and QNAP for me. I'm in the same boat, this is just going to be file storage and backup for mine and my wife's PC and I figure if I can offload the cloud-backup to that one device, that will centralize everything (and save money since it will look like one device to whatever cloud vendor I go with).

It seems like Crashplan might also be able to run on Synologys as well, but from my research it's 50/50 on whether it's completely OK to run Crashplan on a headless NAS vs that being a terrible idea.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
johnperkins21
Colonist

Can't really comment on the benefits of QNAP, but I'd be happy to recommend the Synology. It really was a breeze to set up, and I never even think about it anymore. It installs its own updates and sends me status reports once a week. The software is a bit bloated, so it doesn't have enough processing power to transcode videos for any player that doesn't support your stored format, but I've never had to ask it to do that and you said that you don't need it either.

I know it's got built-in support for some of the major players like Dropbox and Google Drive, but I don't use them. Part of my reason for getting the NAS was to avoid using other-people's-computers as storage.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
Shadowstorm
There are FOUR LIGHTS!

At first glance, it looks like you're more inclined to pursue a commercial solution; however in the spirit of bringing more options to the discussion, I would also suggest looking into a DIY alternative.

Here's a good starter: http://blog.brianmoses.net/2016/02/d...6-edition.html

A freeNAS build with photos: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php...-photos.35694/

Alternatively, if you're committed to commercial offerings only, then this might be of some use to you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10902/...ditions-part-i
Shadowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
johnperkins21
Colonist

I considered a DIY option, but decided the ease of use of the Synology made sense for my needs, and was much easier to put on my Amazon wish list.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #9
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I did look at building my own, and if this was going to be a combination HTPC and NAS, that would be one thing, but as this only going to be a NAS so for me DIY didn't really make sense. I literally want to set this up and just stuff it into the closet next to my router.

No matter how I parted it out, it was always more expensive and much bigger (form factor wise) than a Synology or QNAP.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #10
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowstorm View Post
At first glance, it looks like you're more inclined to pursue a commercial solution; however in the spirit of bringing more options to the discussion, I would also suggest looking into a DIY alternative.

Here's a good starter: http://blog.brianmoses.net/2016/02/d...6-edition.html

A freeNAS build with photos: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php...-photos.35694/

Alternatively, if you're committed to commercial offerings only, then this might be of some use to you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10902/...ditions-part-i
Both of those DIY options are super expensive.

And while I would like to do that, I agree with others it would be nice to just have something and not have to tinker with it. Sometimes that is a better option.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnperkins21 View Post
Can't really comment on the benefits of QNAP, but I'd be happy to recommend the Synology. It really was a breeze to set up, and I never even think about it anymore. It installs its own updates and sends me status reports once a week. The software is a bit bloated, so it doesn't have enough processing power to transcode videos for any player that doesn't support your stored format, but I've never had to ask it to do that and you said that you don't need it either.

I know it's got built-in support for some of the major players like Dropbox and Google Drive, but I don't use them. Part of my reason for getting the NAS was to avoid using other-people's-computers as storage.
What model did you end up getting?

I am trying to figure out if I really need a 4 bay or if a 2 bay would be enough. I essentially want to do file backup of 3-4 machines, and maybe some media server/plex use. The WD units look interesting mostly in that WD leverages their own product lines to fill the NAS with their own drives and offering the total package really cheap. But I think I would prefer something more robust like a Qnap or Synology unit.

Thoughts?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #12
johnperkins21
Colonist

I have the Synology DS214, but there is a newer version, the DS216 out now. I'm just using the basic Synology Hybrid Raid system with two 3TB drives, which leaves me with 3TB of space. It's really going to come down to what sort of redundancy you want, and how much storage you'll need. A two bay solution was good for me as I mainly use it for backing up important documents and as spare storage. If it's going to be your main media storage you'll probably want quite a bit of storage, but in that case you may not need RAID and could get away with a two bay system that has two 4TB drives or something.

I'm happy with my solution, but it fits my specific needs. Not everyone has the same needs. Although if I was looking into a solution today, I'd consider going with a Raspberry Pi and making a homebrew system. The ease of setup is definitely worth something though.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #13
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Looks like the wife wants to do a Plex server now. She wants to clean up the DVD collection by ripping movies and CDs.

Anyone point me in a good direction with that added info. I see that some of the Synology NASes as well as some of the QNAP can do Plex. I understand I will need to get a higher amount of storage. I am just wondering how to go about ripping and storing the data I guess. Or if there is a better home brew solution, especially if it saves $$ I might be willing to go down that road.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
johnperkins21
Colonist

If you have to transcode the video it's unlikely a NAS solution will be what you want. The NAS is really for backup since it uses that Hybrid RAID. If you're just using it for media delivery, you may not want to have enough storage to hold copies of all of your movies and TV shows. For something like that you may want to look into a Raspberry Pi solution and some external 3.0 drive cages so you can add storage at will.

Storage is the biggest issue I have with my media. It's not uncommon for a season of TV shows to be upwards of 50GB if you want HD. That adds up quickly. High quality movie rips are 10GB. If you're stuck with only 4TB of storage in a dual-bay NAS, you'll potentially run out of room very quickly, so it makes sense to go with a more modular solution for that. You could use it as a backup location for important files, but you'd want to keep another copy somewhere for redundancy.

First thing you'll need to do is figure out if your media player will play your video files or if your Plex server will have to transcode them. That will tell you how much processing power you'll need on the server. If you're just serving up the files, you don't need much, but if you have to convert them on the fly to something your player will handle, you'll need a decent amount of power for HD video. I know the XBOX 360 had problems playing .mkv files, which is one of the reasons I built an HTPC, so I haven't had to stream anything in a long time. I don't know much about other players since I don't use them.